Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 up riding on a street glide ?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:27 PM
jim0249
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 up riding on a street glide ?

Just ordered a 2015 Street Glide Special. Looking at the seating "accomodations" it looks like there is not an awful lot of cushioning/space for a passenger.
For those of you who have this bike and stock seat just how comfortable or uncomfortable is the ride for a passenger?
I do plan on ordering the backrest attachment but am curious nonetheless?

Any thoughts/suggestions? thanks

Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Is the intended passenger your most important person in the world?! If so order the most comfy dual seat you can find. Many dealers have a set of trial seats you and your passenger can trial, but you can keep the stock seat your bike comes with for those occasions when you go out solo. You'll find a tourpak can be had with a useful backrest! Don't also discount changing shocks for an up-market set, for optimum approval from behind.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:53 PM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

From my own experience with HD seats, I first bought the HD Sundowner, which was an improvement for her and great for me but on longer rides (500-600 days) it was not as wide a seating area as she preferred (she has an ample rear section) so I picked up an HD touring seat off an ultraclassic and she was very happy, I however don't care for the little bit it raise me up and forward in the saddle. So have your OL try them out and you as well as some seats can have more padding than what your used to on the stock SG seat.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:57 PM
yokdriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 14SG and I added the backrest for the wife and she said the seat wasnt too bad only when we hit a good bump so i upgraded the rear shocks to progressive shocks and she liked it alot better but when we took our vegas trip from SF she said she would have liked a better seat so i will be looking at a sundowner next time.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
Bsh Plz
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 13 SG with stock seat and suspension. I'm fine by myself whether my girl is on the back or not. However, she complains if the ride is longer than a couple hours without a break or there are rough roads. I keep my air up around 45 psi on the shocks to prevent bottoming out on hard bumps. As a reference, I'm 220 and she's 125. I'm planing to upgrade the seat and likely ditch the air shocks over the winter.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The passenger part of the seat on SG is nothing but bad for any distance riding regardless of posterier size. Thing is like sitting on a brick on edge after a short amount of riding. Do your Lady justice and give her a chance to enjoy riding as much as you do. Just looking at how little of the backside is actually supported by that narrow seat area shows you all you need to know. on the other hand, if you want her to stop wanting to go along, keep the stocker.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

The combination of short shocks and a waffer thin seat make for challenging passenger comfort. But I have met a few women who don't seem to mind. My wife on the hand will only ride about 30 minutes, provided on don't hit any bumps.

Beary

Old 09-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

On your SGS you already have some pretty good, upgraded gas pressurized shocks. Good to go there, however the stock seat is designed for looks, rather than passenger comfort.

You need to get a two up seat, and sissy bar, (or maybe even a tour pack) if you want to ride double for any distance.

Sundowner seems to be a very popular choice, but there are tons to select from, with various degrees of comfort and style.

On mine, I ended up with a riders backrest, a $99 Mutazu tour pack and hammock seat. Just got back from a 5,000 mile trip and the seat comfort was never an issue.

But the stock seat has got to go if you want a happy passenger.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM
mabhd06
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an 08 streetglide, after about a day my wife wanted a new seat. We went with a sundowner and she was happy! The stock seat is only good for looks so don't be suprised how much it changes the look of the bike. I have a Ultra Limited now and she likes the touring seat even more so that may be worth a test ride too.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:06 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by jim0249
Just ordered a 2015 Street Glide Special. Looking at the seating "accomodations" it looks like there is not an awful lot of cushioning/space for a passenger.
For those of you who have this bike and stock seat just how comfortable or uncomfortable is the ride for a passenger?
I do plan on ordering the backrest attachment but am curious nonetheless?

Any thoughts/suggestions? thanks
Yes, purchase a new seat that is more "passenger friendly".
I went with the HD Sundowner for our Street Glide.

Wife did not like the factory seat at all.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Is the intended passenger your most important person in the world?! If so order the most comfy dual seat you can find.
+1

The factory Street Glide seat is all about the sleeker style of the Street Glide.
Some are able to ride 2-up just fine on the factory seat.
"Most" will find it very uncomfortable for anything other than around the block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 up riding on a street glide ?