Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dealer frustration

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
The issue is that Fort Bragg Harley Davidson (formally Cape Fear) is the worse dealer in NC. Most local people go to Sheltons HD in Smithfield NC or to *** HD in Ashboro NC.
Or Beach House in Shallotte. It's a nice ride down 131 & 130.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BugBYter
Or Beach House in Shallotte. It's a nice ride down 131 & 130.
Looks like we have the whole surrounding area here, Spring Lake were you at?

Funny, my wife works at the Grays Creek middle school.

I though it was common knowledge not to buy bikes at the Fayetteville HD?

Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Regarding the dealer not coming clean with you and basically trying to pull a fast one on you to put money in their pocket: My take on this would be "They all do that, it is normal".
Whenever you walk in the front door, be sure that you never bend over.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue is that Fort Bragg Harley Davidson (formally Cape Fear) is the worse dealer in NC. Most local people go to Sheltons HD in Smithfield NC or to *** HD in Ashboro NC.
I went in to look around since they just changed to being called Fort Bragg HD and thought I would look at some 2015 bikes and the place looks bare inside as far as parts and accessories.

Brother if you need help installing a PCV You can come over and I'll help if you want. It sucks they pulled one over on you but you have a bike with cams! If it was me I would put a PV on it and go with it. It just baffles me why the original owner didn't have some kind of tuning done on a cam change?
I was at Sheltons most of the day Saturday, trying to decide if the time was right to get a roadking.
When I went to leave there was a guy outside talking to me about cape fear or fort brag Harley and how a bunch of guys were riding over there on sunday.
When I got home I looked on their website and, 1) the hours showed they are not open on sunday
2) the inventory list shows no new bikes!
This guy said that fort bragg Harleys owners have been saying they are going to put Shelton and Ray Price out of business!
Don't look like they have a chance with what ive seen and read here

Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I went in to look around since they just changed to being called Fort Bragg HD and thought I would look at some 2015 bikes and the place looks bare inside as far as parts and accessories.

Brother if you need help installing a PCV You can come over and I'll help if you want. It sucks they pulled one over on you but you have a bike with cams! If it was me I would put a PV on it and go with it. It just baffles me why the original owner didn't have some kind of tuning done on a cam change?
Probably did and removed it before selling.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you get a warranty with that bike? I understood anything on that bike when sold to you and a warranty is covered?

I thought all HD dealers offer a 30 day warranty for anything, Dubuque HD in IA did for me when I bought my used bike from them.

Is it a certified Harley? If it is ask to see the checklist certification.

If it is not, I understand they can't sell retail a non certified HD bike, they have to wholesale them.

I think the ECM should be flashed to take care of the problem, then go somewhere else to buy a PV, or PC.

IF they give you a hard time I bet a letter to MOCO about selling a bike that was not certified, no warranty, and not full disclosure.

Hard to believe that a dealership would sell a bike that they know needs something done to have the bike run correctly. If they are going under, I wouldn't trust they will be there for other problems if they say they will warranty it. Another dealership may not and you will left holding the bag.

Last resort which sucks, but insist they take the bike back for a full refund. If they don't google your states laws regarding selling motorcycles without full disclosure, if you have recourse then go back to talk to the GM of the dealership and show him your information. Otherwise I don't have any other advice.

Of course this is assuming (look at your contract) you were not informed of the change in cams and need for a tuner. If it is in your paperwork, verbal non-statements won't hold up much.

Best of luck, and it sucks. This should be a wonderful exciting experience like bringing a newborn baby home, or the day of your wedding (it was for me at least).

Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I completely agree with the others here. It's their responsibility to fix it so it runs correctly and doesn't show the light. Whatever that takes. Period. For them to even say something along the lines of you having to buy something to fix it is ludicrous.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts
Default mechanic smiling

Who's to say there wasn't a power commander on the bike at trade in, but a happy mechanic took it off after the trade in but before the resale? Hmm, let the buyer come out of pocket!, smiling at a new found tuner.....

Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 AM
BartsRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still working on the Ft Bragg Harley to take care of the problem, but I may take you up on help with the PCV install when I find some extra cash. Believe me I'm pumped about the cams already on the bike I just want to make sure she is running the way she should.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:23 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It amazes me that the dealership tries to screw with you like that, they think that they have the only game in town. Find a good independent shop and work with them!

Quick Reply: dealer frustration