Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Wanted : Pinstriping Inner Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Opinions Wanted : Pinstriping Inner Fairing

I have had this idea for a few years now to have my inner fairing pinstriped. I wanted some red on the inner fairing but thought that a full blown painted inner would be too much, so I thought some pinstriping would get me some color without blinding me.

The general idea is to have various line art Tiki's pinstriped on the inner fairing. I would have the fairing shipped to 4 or 5 different artists, each putting thier own design on it. My only stipulation was that it has to be in one color... red.

So we rode our bikes to Durango, CO to ride the Million Dollar Highway and when we stopped at the dealership, we just happened across the Harley Demo Truck. The dealer was making a big party of it and there was a pinstriper on-site. So I figure he can do his thing while I go ride the new CVO Street and Road Glides.

My fairing is becoming faded and it's getting time to replace it with a gloss black painted one where the above idea will start to take life. And since I was going to replace it anyways.... lets have this guy take a stab at it. If it doesnt work out, no biggie.

Apparently there was communication break down because I didn't get a Tiki design, what I got was just pinstriping. It's just a test though so I let it be.

So long story blah blah blah.... here it is.
and yes, I am already calling it the "Mike Tyson tattoo that I had done to my bike".

Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pinstripes but like you I don't see the tiki. Lol

Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Dr. Tiki
Stellar HDF Member
Received 572 Likes on 216 Posts

lol yea.

I more looking for opinions on the original idea. The pinstriping, though not a Tiki, still gives somewhat of an idea.

I know. I'm the one that has to look at it, etc.etc..... but sometimes you just need to hear from other people that it's just a bad idea.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM
geektoad
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Without a specific design, it just looks super busy to me. I think it will work with a design, like the tikis you intended.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM
CapeGlide
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not onboard with it, looks to me like something that you'd get tired of pretty quickly.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wouldn't it be cheaper to have the inner painted gloss blk than to replace it w/ gloss? Had mine painted. Think i paid ~ $300. I like the asymmetrical stripping.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion........that particular design is too busy to cover the whole thing with.
I'd have it removed and go with the tiki's
Finding the right artists to complete your idea is important.

Pete "Hotdog" Finland would be my first choice.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Doesn't do it for me. Too much 'noise' around the gauges. I'm going to agree with painting it gloss black and just do some minor pin-striping around the edges.

Get the fairing exchanged for a gloss black one, then do the pin-striping yourself with tape. Ride it like that for a while and see if you like the pin-striping. If you don't, then just pull it off a try a different design.

check out 'Painted Harley Fairings' on face book.
https://www.facebook.com/PaintedHarleyFairings

Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, it would look better painting the fairing to match the bike and having the pinstripe in black.

But it would less expensive to paint it gloss black and have the design in red. Your choice. Please post the finished product.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 PM
RaceRadio
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opened this thread expecting to not like what I was about to see. After taking a look, I think it's a pretty cool idea. It would be easy to go overboard with it, but it could end up being a nice customization if it doesn't get too busy.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted : Pinstriping Inner Fairing