Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide on the best route to go on 09 FLHTC

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Markeje
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't decide on the best route to go on 09 FLHTC

So I came into a smokin' good deal on a 09 FLHTC that's completely stock with less than 10K miles. Before this, I was after a an older 04-06 FLHTCUSE I could find for around 14K dollars... or maybe a Street Glide 09 or newer (fat tire).

The plan for any bike is to black a bike out and go with 21" Tire & Fender and change the paint color to...as of now.. Grabber Blue. (Match my 68 Mustang FB). BUT...

The pros of going with the older FLHTCUSE is that it has:
  1. 103 Motor
  2. All the nice controls
  3. Lowered front & Back
  4. Hydraulic Clutch (no big deal)
  5. Quick detach trunk
  6. No holes in the front or rear fenders
The only real con I can think of is that I would not want to paint the factory SE paint and would need to ultimately invest in all body parts to paint, which on top of the paint... would be a big cost. Or just leave it alone...assuming I can find the SE paint scheme I want.

The pros of keeping the 09 is that the payment is dirt cheap. I could eventually get everything that I need to do the bike the way I want with an investment of nearly $4500...less the paint.

The other option is to maybe trade it in on an 09 or new SG but it doesn't have anything big to gain I don't think other than no holes on the fenders and the big back tire.

Or sell it and make an easy 5K off of it.

I really can't figure out the logical thing to do here...

Old 09-04-2014, 01:10 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

If you are going to tear apart and rebuild a bike- start with something with not much value, so you can get a return out of it.
That is why cop bikes are a great platform for a custom- t
The 8 or 10 year old bikes you talk about are now a generation behind in frame, EFI controls, brakes etc etc.

the 09 FLHTC- for comparison I paid $15K cash for mine..in 2010 with 5000 miles and 8 months on the warranty, ABS/cruise/security/alarm and special paint

Cash is king, if you save up cash in pocket you can get great deals. while others are trying to talk to their bank.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-04-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Markeje
Advanced

Thanks MK. So, you think I should start with what I have then. I paid 8.5K for the 09 FLHTC. It's black with the damn pin stripping and a whole lot o' trim

At the very least I'll end up putting 5K into it over time less any motor mods.I'm not building to sell, just to have. I've had several HD's over the last 25 years. This one I want to be my keeper for a long while.

I need front and back turn signals and brackets like CVO
quick detach trunk kit
Front and Rear lowering kit
21 tire & wheel
New Front & Rear fender without holes
Foot boards - Driver & Passenger
Shifter/brake
Lots of black paint for lowers/uppers, heads, inner fairing, primary, cam housing, etc ($1,000 for black)
Air cleaner kit
Exhaust

Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 AM
Markeje
Advanced

Bump up

Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,272 Likes on 21,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Keep readin'.
No one can make up your mind or sell you on anything other than you.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Markeje
Advanced

QUOTE=lionsm13;13183399]Welcome to the forum.
Keep readin'.
No one can make up your mind or sell you on anything other than you.[/QUOTE]

Ya I know. I just don't know what makes the most sense in the end.
If I want a true custom then keeping it seems to be the route to go.
The bikes have done in the past was never a question. Of course CVO's weren't an option neither was SG's.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 AM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep it and make it what you want it to be. You got a smoking deal, so you're already ahead of the game. if patient, you can find most of the items you've listed, in the For Sale section here. Paint is going to cost you but that'll be the case regardless. As far as fenders are concerned, have the holes in your current fenders filled in when you paint.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

It cost more to make an Ultra into a SG than make a SG into and Ultra. Stupid pin stripes and fenders are expensive. I like your CVO idea, but as soon as you mod it with paint or tires, it's value will actually drop 15%. CVO hold better stock. Getting the 09 SG is the better way of going, but the 09's are holding their value pretty good. I just sold my 09 Vivid Black SG with 22000 miles for $14500 and it needed about $1000 worth of stuff like tires. First caller took it sight un seen because $14,500 was $1500 less than anything else on Craigslist.

If you could do without the big tire and the improved handleing of the 09, I've seen some nice 06 and 07 SGs for $12,000. Mind you that you may need to wait a while, but they are out there. In the mean time, sell your bike so you are ready to deal. That is how I see it right now. Ask me an hour later and I will say something different. LOL

Beary

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Stick with your 09. You can do a lot with the sales tax saved by not trading. Remember; the 09's benifited from significant upgrades. The frame is a real improvement. 09's up hold there value better than the earlier bikes for this reason.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,272 Likes on 21,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Markeje
QUOTE=lionsm13;13183399]Welcome to the forum.
Keep readin'.
No one can make up your mind or sell you on anything other than you.
Ya I know. I just don't know what makes the most sense in the end.
If I want a true custom then keeping it seems to be the route to go.
The bikes have done in the past was never a question. Of course CVO's weren't an option neither was SG's.[/QUOTE]

As previously said, "That would have to be your decision."
That's the way life is?
It's your call, no one else's.
Make your decision and stand by it, that's all.
Nothin' more nothin' less.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on the best route to go on 09 FLHTC