Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noisier cam chest after 777 cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:26 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default noisier cam chest after 777 cams

So I guess I must have been mistaken with the type of noise that comes from upgrading cams. After installing cams I noticed a sploshing, blubb sound coming from the cam chest area. I thought this was the increase in sound everyone talks about with woods cams. Talked to a tech and he says just an increase in drive train noise (ticking) from upgrading cams and I should just adjust my FM pushrods a few more sides to get rid of the noise going on now.

I though this may be my fuel pump but my light goes off after a second so it should be working just fine.

Is there anything I should be looking into? Anyone experience this noise? I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
So I guess I must have been mistaken with the type of noise that comes from upgrading cams. After installing cams I noticed a sploshing, blubb sound coming from the cam chest area. I thought this was the increase in sound everyone talks about with woods cams. Talked to a tech and he says just an increase in drive train noise (ticking) from upgrading cams and I should just adjust my FM pushrods a few more sides to get rid of the noise going on now.

I though this may be my fuel pump but my light goes off after a second so it should be working just fine.

Is there anything I should be looking into? Anyone experience this noise? I can't think of any other way to describe it.
What I had could not be described as sloshing, definitely clatter until warmed up.
Per Jamie' recommendation I put another 1/2 turn preload (3 flats) on the push rods. Problem largely solved but 777s are high lift cams, you're going to have some noise, especially when the engine is hot.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:57 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

A new set of lifters wouldn't hurt if you didn't already do it.
Mine quieted down a bit after going to the Gaterman GP-1023.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:00 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

No , leave the pushrods alone. Light means nothing on whether or not your fuel filter shell is split, that could account for the sloshing noise.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

any higher lift cams will be noisy.

you are asking a mechanical linkage to lift higher and faster ( steeper ramp) than before...and the springs to act faster.

if the install is correct, it'll be noisier--- expect clatter from the cam chest to the valves

too tight pushrods (remember everything has to expand so there are clearance specs) will keep your valves from seating

get to an experienced performance tech- they will have an idea of "normal" sounds.

a guy at work recently thought his pushrods were "funny"...30 seconds in the parking lot ( after the bike cooled) showed normal feel

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-05-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lets be clear here woods 777 are not high lift cams.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM
C.H.L.
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
Lets be clear here woods 777 are not high lift cams.
I think Keith means they are high lift for bolt ins - higher than 222s, 555s, or SE 255s for example.......

I don't hear much noise from mine - all I hear is my heavy breather sucking air....

Old 09-06-2014, 10:40 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, something must not be right then! Got to go back in there

Old 09-06-2014, 12:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

got a stethoscope?

even a long screwdriver- put the end against your ear-bone

make sure that you are hearing noise from the cam chest, not the intake or breathers sucking and gurgling

an experienced ear/opinion might be worth getting

For example using a stethoscope I was recently able to change a diagnosis from bottom end bearing or piston slap ( GM 4.8) to fan clutch knocking.
a tear down to a $35 part swap

mike

Old 09-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Tufel
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
got a stethoscope?

even a long screwdriver- put the end against your ear-bone

make sure that you are hearing noise from the cam chest, not the intake or breathers sucking and gurgling

an experienced ear/opinion might be worth getting

For example using a stethoscope I was recently able to change a diagnosis from bottom end bearing or piston slap ( GM 4.8) to fan clutch knocking.
a tear down to a $35 part swap

mike
Fuel line makes a great cheap stethoscope. I keep a 3 foot line in the garage just for this. Cost me a couple bucks at Napa.

Quick Reply: noisier cam chest after 777 cams