Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining/humming while cornering. 2013 FLTRU 16k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Poppa Derf
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whining/humming while cornering. 2013 FLTRU 16k miles

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
At about 15k I starting hearing and feeling a "buzzing" sound and vibration while cornering above 30mph. Basically, anytime the bike is not on the center contact patch; which gets a bit annoying on high crowned roads.

Glider is bone stock with original tires and I haven't found any change in handling.

The "Tech" at the dealer had no clue after spending the better part of two hours trying to figure it out. He did change the front wheel bearings and says he checked the run-out of the wheels and rotors.

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

Smart *** sarcasm is appreciated as well.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds to me like your tires are about shot?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:53 AM
harleydude-fla
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

The Tires are most probably the cause of the whine that you are experiencing. It has occurred on all 4 of my Harley's that I have owned and the whining goes away when you replace the tires until you get over 10 to 12,000 miles on them too.

It is Normal ---

Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Poppa Derf
Intermediate

Appreciated. Tires aren't to the wear bars yet and I don't have the cash for new. Guess I'll just have to live with it then. Thanks again.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is at 12,500. Started doing the same thing at about 9000-10000. We were on a long trip with some friends who have been riding for many years when it started...they said it is not a surprise. After doing a little research, it happens to many. Seems to be mostly Dunlops. Mine is slightly cupped on the outside edges, but I have lots of tread left. I check air pressure religiously, but they still did it. I might check out a different tire manufacturer when it is time to change tires.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Extricator
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2010 Ultra. I was told by my dealer that the new tires they are using are a tri compound tire with a harder compound in the center. As you put miles on the tires they start to feather. I can run my hand just out from the center and can feel the feathered treads. I have just over 12 K on mine and the center tread is still good. No issues with handling just a little noise and vibration.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:08 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Replace your shoes - Mine started doing it at 8K

Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Tires may not be at the wear point, but still could be cupped. I had the same problem, cured by new rubber.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Poppa Derf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimmy1439
Mine is slightly cupped on the outside edges, but I have lots of tread left. I might check out a different tire manufacturer when it is time to change tires.
Mine are doing the cup and feather thing as well, especially on the front. I'm thinking along the same lines as far as looking into a different brand. My '04 Road King did the same thing and as I think about it those were Dunlops as well.

Originally Posted by Extricator
I was told by my dealer that the new tires they are using are a tri compound tire with a harder compound in the center.
That's interesting. My RK did the same thing on D402/D401's. I wonder if they've been using that compound for awhile...

Old 09-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Poppa Derf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Tires may not be at the wear point, but still could be cupped. I had the same problem, cured by new rubber.
front is slightly cupped. rear is slightly feathered.

Last edited by Poppa Derf; 09-08-2014 at 12:20 PM. Reason: added quote

Quick Reply: Whining/humming while cornering. 2013 FLTRU 16k miles