Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not at ease when on long trips. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not at ease when on long trips. Please help

I like to go on long rides, like in one week I would do 2000 miles a few times a year.
The problem I have is I am at a point that I do not trust the HD product even though I love it.

In my 2008 Ultra limited I put close to 60000 in 4 years and I had many failures including two life threatening ones which were: a) lost power twice on the highway with my wife on the back ( limo mode ) and b) front wheel bearing failed 70 miles away from home. Was able to get home limping with cars passing me at high speed. I really was out in the boonies.

1.5 years ago I got a new 2012 and I felt much better except that now at 12000 miles I had to change the front bearing and the rotors. Also the battery light came on one night even though I have a new battery. I felt "here we go again"

If you are a bar hopper or a weekend worrier you might not understand how I feel, but if you ride long distances into the boonies like I do you will understand me.

So now, if I go in a long trip I constantly worry about breaking down and I really do not like the Goldwings that much. I know HD has a great dealer network but it also means loosing vacation time which I do not have a lot of. Maybe the answer is buy a 2015 :=)

So I would like to hear some positive perspectives from you guys cause I really would like to stay with the Harley family. Thanks

Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

70k+ on my last one, 10 roadglide , had one issue at 70k is vss went out , and still made it home. 50k on my 07 roadking w/sidecar. stator went out when still under warranty and a seal also under warranty. Mechanical things sometimes fail , doesnt matter what brand it is. Harleys are not better or worse than others. some things are wear items and need regular replacement, othertimes something just breaks, happen to everybody , good maintence on the stuff that needs it , and ride and enjoy and try not to worry about stuff you don't have any control over.

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 09-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Just turned 40k miles on my 2011 Street Glide.
No mechanical issues at all.

I was left stranded on the side of the road one time by a flat rear tire.
That could have happened to any bike.

I have since added a tire repair kit with 12v air pump, to hopefully keep that from happening again.

I would not be afraid to get on this bike and ride "coast to coast".
Little over 2,500 miles first week of August to Sturgis and back without any issues.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You should ride into Eastern Europe, behind the old Iron Curtain, where there are few if any Harley dealers - that'll stop you worrying! On a Harley forum I suspect you will get plenty of encouraging remarks about carrying on. I can only suggest having your bike thoroughly serviced and inspected well before each of your adventures - that bearings problem should have been identified, as an example.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:26 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I understand what you're saying. I just got back from riding 3600 miles coast to coast and the bike broke down 3 times. Nothing serious that I couldn't fix on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere but still enough to make me question if I should have kept the busa. Bike still has under 10k miles

Old 09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Blackness03: What type of breakdowns? Just curious what you carry for tools which allow you to fix it along the road?

Old 09-09-2014, 11:34 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

42k on my 11 SG , so I know where you are coming from.

Nobody pays more attention to the details on a bike than a bike owner in your position, unfortunately the not even the overpaid dealer service team.

My best advice to you is do your own preventive maintenance and watch everything. Then seek out answers in places like this, and if going to a dealer is for service is necessary, have a direction planned out for them.

They are an absolute last resort for me.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:36 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

My wife and I take one long trip (over 3k) every summer.
Just came back from doing 3,200 miles in July.
Also do a 300+ mile ride on a weekend day at least a couple times a month.
Probably jinxing myself, but never have had an issue or a thought about breaking down.

But if YOU'RE not comfortable or confident, might be time for a change?
Only you can make that decision.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Wraith04
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just got back from a 3300 mile trip on Sunday, Road King had 55K on it when I left and I rode it like I stole it. Anything mechanical can break, it doesn't matter what brand it is. I bought my bike to ride and I'm sure it will break down sometime but spending time worrying about it before it happens is time wasted not enjoying it.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Journeyman hit the nail on the head. Do your own PM and you will always know where your weakness' are. You will become one with the machine and will know what the other wants. If the bike only had T&A...

Quick Reply: Not at ease when on long trips. Please help