Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors….Which Ones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I stand corrected on the ten button design of EBC rotor, that is for the rear wheel only, the fronts are five spoke as per hd_rolling's photo.

As for composite brakes, the Lyndall ones are designed for street race, AFAIK and I have seen plenty of favourable reviews by members who use them. I don't believe they qualify as being 'carbon', in the same way as race brakes are. I would be happy to buy them, if they had stock!
Yes I have seen Lyndall's advertising claims and I have seem some reviews stating that after spending 2 thousand dollars on 3 brake rotors and 3 sets of brake pads some people are happy. But I'd have to ride em first. They are called Carbon Metal Matrix, so I would suspect they do need warm up to work properly, but thats why I would need a ride on a bike to experience it for myself before plunking down 2k for some brake rotors

Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Yes I have seen Lyndall's advertising claims and I have seem some reviews stating that after spending 2 thousand dollars on 3 brake rotors and 3 sets of brake pads some people are happy. But I'd have to ride em first. They are called Carbon Metal Matrix, so I would suspect they do need warm up to work properly, but thats why I would need a ride on a bike to experience it for myself before plunking down 2k for some brake rotors
They only cost half that!

Old 09-16-2014, 12:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
They only cost half that!
Far as I can tell 3 rotors @ $499, 3 sets of Red pads@ $64 plus tax(8.25% where I live) and NO shipping is $1818 so I may have over estimated a bit but with shipping it's gonna be close to $1900.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

The web store is confusing. So I could see how you would think the price is lower. Add the rotors to your online cart and see, they are $499 apiece, not 3 for 998. Its 1 for 499 and +998 for the other 2 . I just did it and the cost for 3 rotors plus 3 sets of pads is almost $1700 before tax and shipping.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I went through a set of stock and a set of HD Teardrop floaters in about a year each. Decided to buy cheap DNA Teardrop disks for $50 each (off ebay) and they are lasting longer than either of the HD options on that bike.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

Are you sure they aren't Composite Metal Matrix? Mine don't need a lot of heat to work. They are really sweet now that some pad material has deposited in the rotor. Joe

Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Are you sure they aren't Composite Metal Matrix? Mine don't need a lot of heat to work. They are really sweet now that some pad material has deposited in the rotor. Joe
Ok i go along with that. Just looked up what MMC rotors are. Aluminum/Magnesium alloy infused with silicon carbide. Should work good at dissipating heat . And the lightness should be a benefit. I'm wondering where the possible braking performance is coming from, is it due to the organic pads needed or is there an increase in friction co efficient when using the rotors along with the pads, or is it just due to the lighter spinning mass, or due to the increased heat convection to the wheels that allows more heat generated by pads to NOT degrade the braking by overheating. Remember these rotors are the same size as oem and the pads are the same size as oem and the calipers and m/c have not been changed in any way. So where is the increase in performance(if any) coming from? I can maybe see the increased heat convection being a possible benefit to the braking if and when a guy really uses his brakes. I still have my concerns of spending nearly 2k on these items, heck they may work better but as I stated I'd need to need to ride em before plunking down that kinda cash. Glad you are pleased.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Costs are significantly lower at a certain sponsor, but it is academic at present as Lyndall have no pads and limited stocks of rotors. They cannot supply me with three at present. My expected bill was $1,350-ish plus shipping.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow all that makes me feel even better for the deal I got on mine. I'm not that hard on brakes the stock ones I'm replacing aren't warped, So these should be fine. I got Lyndall pads, wheel bearings,speed bleeders and stuff for polishing my lowers for about $500.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

... I'm wondering where the possible braking performance is coming from, .... Glad you are pleased.
It's the better coefficient of friction the MMC provides, especially when pad material is deposited on it. Better CF means the pads grab harder on the rotor. Stainless steel has a pretty bad CF that's why cars use cast iron rotors. In fact if you ride off with brand new stainless rotors you will scare yourself how bad the brakes are until they break in.
A lesser improvement is the floating rotors track straighter in the calipers so the pads aren't moving back and forth (tiny amounts) like solid rotors.
Thanks...

Quick Reply: Rotors….Which Ones?