Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors….Which Ones?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:22 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
It's the better coefficient of friction the MMC provides, especially when pad material is deposited on it. Better CF means the pads grab harder on the rotor. Stainless steel has a pretty bad CF that's why cars use cast iron rotors. In fact if you ride off with brand new stainless rotors you will scare yourself how bad the brakes are until they break in.
A lesser improvement is the floating rotors track straighter in the calipers so the pads aren't moving back and forth (tiny amounts) like solid rotors.
Thanks...
Yes I am aware of co efficient of friction. I took off my stainless rotors on my '91 Fatboy and put PM cast iron rotors on it. Made a helluva difference. I couldn't find any data on CMM co efficient of friction anywhere so I assumed it was very similar to ss, I figured if it was greater they would plaster that fact all over the place. And yes SS sucks , even worse when some yay who polishes them, LOL.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Yes I am aware of co efficient of friction. I took off my stainless rotors on my '91 Fatboy and put PM cast iron rotors on it. Made a helluva difference. I couldn't find any data on CMM co efficient of friction anywhere so I assumed it was very similar to ss, I figured if it was greater they would plaster that fact all over the place. And yes SS sucks , even worse when some yay who polishes them, LOL.
Yes when I first installed my rotors I didn't notice any improvement but as they filled in with pad material they got a lot better. I would say if you could get 2-pc cast iron rotors for a touring bike you'd have really good brakes.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
Yes when I first installed my rotors I didn't notice any improvement but as they filled in with pad material they got a lot better. I would say if you could get 2-pc cast iron rotors for a touring bike you'd have really good brakes.
You really don't need 2 piece iron rotors they are much more thermally stable than ss. The only issue may/can be the thickness needed sometimes may be different than the ss rotors on the bike. On my FLSTF I remember there was some wrinkle concerning that, either the fr or the rear needed to be thicker than the oem rotor so we needed to replace the caliper, I think it was the rear but I cant remember, it was 20 years ago, LOL. Also they were Flash Chromed so as the pads scrubbed off the chrome on the rotors it exposed the raw iron. Then you removed the pads and sanded them lightly on a surface plate to remove the chrome particles and re installed. Then you could get after it. The rotors would obviously get light surface rust on that area on the rotors and the chrome being only just 1 stage flash chrome wasn't aesthetically pleasing but I didn't care I was after better braking and the chrome stopped the rust where the pads didn't track on the rotors.

Last edited by qtrracer; 09-17-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:44 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Winter is coming,most companies will have some kind of sale. I got lyndalls a cuople of years ago,the discount basically gave me free pads.

Attached Thumbnails -image.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 07:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by bklynbob
I got lyndalls a cuople of years ago,the discount basically gave me free pads.
They currently have no pads and cannot supply a set of three rotors, so anyone wanting a new set-up is likely to be out of luck!