Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Length of time sitting, Do you Drain the Gas Tank?.........

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Ihrugby
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Length of time sitting, Do you Drain the Gas Tank?.........

Yeah, I know, How can ya go 3 months without even starting up the Bad Boy FLHTC Ultra, 1991 Electra Glide Classic Ultra with 3/4 to full tank of high test? What is the time limit before draining the whole tank of gas? Had to get better health wise.................

Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So its only been 3 months since that gas was put in the tank?
Is it gas with Ethanol? If so, I would probably drain it. Better safe than sorry.
On the other hand, I start my lawn mower on what ever gas it has in it from the year before every year. It probably sat for at least 5 months. Haven't had a problem there yet. But I use gas with no ethanol. and if I think about it, I put some sta-bil in it the last time I use it. but sometimes I forget.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carbed bike? I would drain it now if it's going to sit for a while. It's more important to get the fuel out of the carb than the tank. Are you going to ride it soon? If it runs ok just run it through and top off again with a stabilizer.

FI bikes can handle varnished fuel much better.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

3 months? Are you guys kidding me?

Obviously don't live up north...

My bike would sit in my enclosed trailer in Northern Michigan, with an extension cord run out for the tender for 5 or 6 months every winter. Bass boat would sit even longer.

You're fine.

A year... two, yeah it needs to be drained.

3 months? No.

And I NEVER use stabil... the only time I ever had trouble out of a boat, is when I run that crap. NEVER again.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:19 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

My bike would sit in my enclosed trailer in Northern Michigan, with an extension cord run out for the tender for 5 or 6 months every winter. Bass boat would sit even longer.

You're fine.

3 months? No.

And I NEVER use stabil... the only time I ever had trouble out of a boat, is when I run that crap. NEVER again.

I don't officially put my bike away, as we don't really have that bad of winters and there might be a day or two nice enough to ride.
It gets plugged into the battery tender is all I do.

But all of my yard equipment sits all winter.
2 lawn mowers, 2 leaf blowers, and a weed eater.
After the last use of the season, they sit in the shed all winter.
No draining fuel, or anything special.
They start up just fine every spring. Been doing this for over 20 years.

3 months is NOT storing a bike.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Concours
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SafetyMan

You're fine.

3 months? No.

+1

When the snow is done flying, tank on the snowblower get's filled and SEAFOAM (used to use Stabil ... ) goes in on top. Snowblower comes back out usually 7-8 months later and fires up first try.

My motorcycles go into hibernation at the last possible date, but usually late November .. same approach as above, fill the tanks, SEAFOAM in on top, and on the one carbed bike I have the petcock goes to off. Usually don't start them again until late March/early April .. both fire right up .. gas in the tanks is what get's run for the first rides of the season.

Do the same thing with the lawnmower, lawn tractor, leaf blower, etc .. even put SEAFOAM (actually last time was Stabil ...) in my truck which will sit in the spring and summer for 3 or 4 months without starting.

But if you're concerned and it's been sitting for a year or more, drain the tank ... $20 is cheap for your piece of mind

Old 09-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

My usual winter storage process is to use a stabilzer potion per the instructions on the container, I top off the tank if it's low. And for some of my many engines that sit dormant all winter (Lawn Mower, Weed Terminator, Pressure Washer, etc... and the snowblower in the summer) I often forget to do the stabilze thing, and in the past 20+ years, have not had one issue with after storage start ups. I'm a bit fussier with my boat, only use ethanol free gas (marina has no other $$$) and the boat kicks right off every spring. Not sure how long is too long, but for a few months, I'd never consider draining.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:25 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I will clarify my statement above...

I do not use any type of stabilizer. No Seafoam, no fogging of cylinders, no stabil, no Marvel Mystery Oil.

I topped my tanks off, and parked. In the spring, or fall for the snowthrower, I did not drain a drop of fuel, simply turned to ON and hit the starter.

NEVER had an issue, and it was 5-7 months of storage, depending on if the early October snow stuck or melted.

The ONLY issue I ever had was with an outboard boat engine that I followed the recommendations on, used stabil, disconnected the fuel line, per instructions, started the engine and sprayed fogging oil in until it stalled, then pulled the plugs and, per instructions, added a bit of fogging oil to the cylinders, then gently cranked the engine to ensure fogging oil coverage.

In the spring, it took me 2 days, lost the first weekend of fishing, to get that engine started...

My experience, and YMMV.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM
rkc915
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Normally I would say not to worry about 3 months. I have never drained anything for that reason and go all winter (4 or 5 months) leaving various pieces of mechanical equipment, which I have used for years and years, with only gas in them and have never had any issues but it's your bike so you will have to do what will bring you a peace of mind. Since you're asking, it sounds like you would probably be more comfortable draining the tank and clearing the system though and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Razir66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Stabil in everything I winterize, never had a problem, no idea why anyone would have a problem with it. I never drain the fuel tank or carbs, just add the stabil, mix it in the gas via sloshing or whatever, run the engine so it gets into the carbs, shut it off and good to go until spring.

Last edited by Razir66; 09-12-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: What Length of time sitting, Do you Drain the Gas Tank?.........