Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New, take-off parts buy back?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New, take-off parts buy back?

Anybody successfully had a dealer agree to buy back a brand new part? Like say you wanted to swap covers or intake for CVO parts, but you had them do it before it EVER left the showroom. There are a few mods i'd like to do when I get my new bike, and i hate having a ton of stock parts just laying around. I'd rather have money in my pocket or discounted new parts. Like pay the difference for the upgrade. If they do it before they do the PDI test ride, before the bike ever leaves the service department or gets fired up, it's still a brand new part. I doubt i'll find a dealer who will, but has anyone else tried this? Trying to word the search right didn't get me anywhere, so apologies if I am the umpteen-thousandth person to ask this.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

To sell the part as new it would have to be in a box. If it came off a bike it may be new to you but not anyone else. Plus if you don't want it probably no one else does either.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

Back in the 80's my local dealer would buy back take-off parts at his cost when he installed upgrades on a new bike. He'd just put them in stock and someone would buy them. Haven't bought a brand new bike since then...

Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealers sell parts. They don't buy takeoff's. Actually, quite a few people just give them to the dealer. Check their dumpster. You'll find many stock pipes for sure.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer

Bummer. And if it's been bolted up, but immediately removed after shipping, it's still new. Just basically a long distance mock-up. But I have a feeling most if not ALL dealers will share your opinion. And throwing away the exhausts would be stupid. They could get a lil money from scrapping the cats at least

Old 09-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You see alot of dealers and individuals selling new take offs on ebay. I bet the dealers didn't give the owners of the bike they came off of anything. I bought my CVO mufflers with end caps and heat shields from a dealer off eBay for $149 shipped. Said they were new take offs from a 13 CVO Ultra Classic. I'd say get your take off parts from the dealer and list them on Craigs List or ebay.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:25 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

The dealer doesn't want your new take off parts.

My suggestion:
Take delivery on the bike and once you get it home, swap out what you want yourself.
Don't pay the dealer hourly labor charges to do something you can do yourself at no charge.
So you've already saved some cash on the labor.

Now put the parts you took off on ebay or craigslist and get what you can for them.
It's a win-win for you.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer

I know the craigs/eazybay method works. I just don't like the minor hassle. Also i kinda left out my true intentions. I don't give a rats azz about covers or the intake. I have aftermarket pieces picked out already. My real desire is to have the CVO 110" swapped in. Would they buy back a new, not run out-of-the-crate 103" motor? and then just charge me the upgrade cost for the 110"? I have a feeling i'll be in the same boat as with the covers/pipes/intake scenario. I plan on swapping all that junk myself.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Well, I have seen dealers put the 120 in brand new bikes, so I guess they are selling the take out motor to someone. Not sure how the whole VIN # change happens but I guess it does. But truthfully, why not just buy the CVO bike? Or go with a real motor instead of the 110?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
But truthfully, why not just buy the CVO bike? Or go with a real motor instead of the 110?
^^^^^That^^^^^
Why not a 120? That would be a worthwhile change.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Quick Reply: New, take-off parts buy back?