Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here comes winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here comes winter

Wont be too much longer now and it will be time to think about the last ride of the season which usually ends with me wheeling the RK into the garage for its final cleaning, and winterizing. I think the one thing that concerns me every winter is those days that the humidity in the garage is just right, along with the temperature, that I get condensation on the bike. Even though bike is well protected with polishing and waxes and gas and engine treatment products, and battery is on the trickle charger... I always get concerned when I see this. I usually throw the garage heater on for a bit until weather conditions change, but still is a sickening feeling.

How do you guys in the north deal with this?
Paying for storage is out of the question as the divorce and subsequent "financial agreement" has me on limited resources for a few more years....

Thanks all!!
Ride safe, stay vertical

Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Its not a flower, its a motorcycle. I dont worry about humidity, barometric pressure, temperature, etc.

I live in Michigan, I usually am able to get out at least once every month. Since Feb of 2011, I only missed February of '14, so storage is not in my vocabulary.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Time to put on the soft lowers soon............oh well.........

Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,240 Likes on 6,001 Posts

I'm in Michigan and I usually put mine up after Veterans Day. I organize motorcycles to lead our local Veteran's Day parade. the following weekend it goes into storage. I have a buddy with a huge pole barn and he is kind enough to allow me to use a small corner in the back to store. Plug in the battery tender and cover it up... and wait impatiently until mid-March. I won't ride until the salt is off the road. I change the oils in October and give it a final clean and let her sit. Don't worry about humidity or condensation.
In the spring, I get her out and i'm set to ride as I don't have to worry about oil changes, just give her a good going over and go!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm with Keith----my military travels have landed me in northern states and it was never a concern for me. I always wonder why people are concerned about the bike in the garage but not the car---same temperature and humidity. I know the car gets driven, but? I've left both for year long deployments and came back to no issues. I'll admit, I've never come out into the garage and found condensation during the winter on anything---from upstate NY to any other state.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 AM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 238 Likes on 140 Posts

If it truly bothers you that badly you could get some form of desiccant bags like you would put in a gun safe to cut down on humidity/moisture. But unless your garage is like a Swamp I wouldn't worry about it

Old 09-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Put heat in the garage....

Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Does HD still make the bubble that you roll the bike in and it blows air into the bubble? Might try that.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Just keep the gas tank full of non-ethanol fuel with a good stabilizer in it. That will stop any condensation in the tank.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I never really winterized the bike during the cold months here in Jersey. I keep it on a tender, uncovered, in my garage, because I usually take it out at least once a month if the temp gets to forty. Last winter was tough with all the snow, the winter before was relatively warm so it was out a lot.
The farmers almanac is predicting more snow this winter than last year! I'm ready to move!

Quick Reply: Here comes winter