Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Electric reverse

Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,198 Likes on 11,126 Posts

Crap!! Sorry...deleted duplicate post. Need more coffee.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
I've had an '09 Tri-Glide, now a '15 Freewheeler and I can count the number of times I've used the reverse on 1 hand, and half of those times was to see if it really worked. After nearly 50 years on Harleys I don't park where I have to back up. I would think reverse on a 2 wheeler would be kind of hard to control.
I would need ten hands to count. I've use the reverse function on Trike and two wheelers a ton of times. I not that tall, 5'7" with a 31 " inseam. I don't have to be pointed downhill to need reverse. Sandy parking lot, slick spots etc and reverse comes in quite handy. Now most of the time I also Fred Flintstone the trike, but I have needed and used reverse several times.
All this being said, the Harley reverse may be to quick for a two wheeler but it also may be something one could get use to...on a wing it is great, just about the right speed. Remember it's an assist, not a full time reverse.
What I do like about the HD reverse vs the wing reverse is that when the "R" button is released the trike goes into a free wheel coast, on the wing it seems like its still being driven by the reverse motor....

Sorry for the ramble....bottom line is I like the reverse function!

The following users liked this post:
PosseRider (10-01-2016)
Old 09-20-2014, 07:42 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I use reverse on the TG occasionally... Not a lot, but not as infrequently as Screwball! The TG is a little too high & wide for me to manipulate in the saddle. I usually just get off and push it from the front if I need to go backwards. I think I would struggle with reverse on 2 wheels for sure!

My '99 FLSTS is easy for me to back up 'flintstone' style because it sits low enough. The ultras I've ridden weren't quite so agreeable with me. I've never been real comfortable on full dressers.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

My Ural that I traded for the Freewheeler had a normal reverse gear through the gear box and was easy to use as you feed out clutch to move.

The first time I used the electric reverse with the Freewheeler was pathetic. The directions are to put the bike in neutral and hold the clutch in. Then push the R button in. There is a pause and when the R light comes on in the speedo the trike jumps backward. Very noisy. Not much control over modulating speed or easing into reverse. Just a harsh engagement.

I didn't like it at all. However I don't expect to have a use for it at all. I always stop, park anywhere so that I can go forward on a bike when leaving. The same will be true with the trike.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Huh, on mine I hit neutral and leave the clutch out; press the reverse button and a few seconds later the R light comes on, but nothing engages. Letting go and pressing the button a second time and it engages with a clunk. Seems to work great now that I learned to not touch the brakes at the same time (and not use the parking brake.) The speed feels about right; too fast when you just want to bump it a couple of inches, and too slow when backing out of the garage. Hey, it's just a simple starter motor, not supposed to be complicated. And it works a lot better now that it's broke in.

If it hangs up, you've hit the brakes prior to the solenoid disengaging the gear.

Having said that, I use it a lot. I got a trike so I wouldn't have to muscle around a bike any more, and being inseam-length-challenged it sure makes life easier. It's one of the major reasons I didn't get another bike. And after using it a lot, I look good doing it! Now I can park anywhere I want without worrying about high-siding it or having to face the right way or whatever; then just hop on and ride.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 09-22-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: add info
The following 2 users liked this post by Oogie Wa Wa:
Dave15 (10-07-2016), PosseRider (10-01-2016)
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Bogeysix
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse

I had Baker Drivetrain install their F6R on my 2012 Triglide at the 2015 Sturgis Rally. It's been a year now and it is still working fantastic. No more popping the circuit breaker on a slight incline. Now I intentionally nose into a parking spot, and you should see the look on some bikers faces when I power out in reverse. Just the other day I put my front tire into a slight "ditch" at a bar, and when I came out, I was followed by 3 other bikers. They were standing and watching me like they knew about the electric reverse would no way get me out of there, and I would have to ask for their assistance. Surprise, they were now looking in awe as I backed out under power and up-shifted to 1st and took off down the road. I just wish I had someone handy with a camera. Yes it is expensive, but when they did the job, they already had it set up on a new Baker transmission, so it was a swap out of mine to theirs. It was still an all day job. Maxed out a credit card, but glad I did.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Chaffeekid
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Not saying it would be impossible on your CVO but go to a Harley dealer and look up under the right side of a freewheeler or tri-glide, with a flash light, you might see the reverse motor, just a starter motor from what I gather, and there is a big toothed wheel that sets next to the drive pulley.
It would be less expensive I would guess (WAG) to do as Bogeysix did, put a new tranny in with the Baker reverse. If I had the coin, that's what I would do, as I recently had the reverse motor replaced by Harley, if I hadn't purchased the warrantee it would have cost me 1500 bucks. That along with a new radio has more than paid for the warrantee that I purchased when I bought my 2012 Tri-Glide with only 3000 miles on it six months ago. As it was, I paid the 50.00 deductible. Many thanks to my Salesman.
Happy Trails and God Bless

Old 10-07-2016, 03:29 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like my reverse to be faster.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:35 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
I'd like my reverse to be faster.
If you want to go faster in reverse you'll need a mechanical reverse. I can burn rubber in reverse.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 PM
kantdo55
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you seen the Yelvington reverse pulley kit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric reverse