Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

I sat on a Freewheeler today

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts
Default I sat on a Freewheeler today

The wife doesn't ride with me at all, ever, but she did say she would if I got a trike. With that thought in mind we went to a dealer several towns over to look at one.

I found a nice Superior Blue Freewheeler and sat on it. The first impression is that my knees and legs were not in a comfortable position, they were too far forward. I thought they should have been more stretched forward. I am 6ft with a 32" inseam for information.

The salesman said he could change out the seat for one that took me back 2 inches. When I grabbed the grips my arms were outstretched with no slack in my elbows. The salesman again mentioned that the bars could be changed out for 16" apes.

About this time my wife spoke up asking about back support for the passenger. Both the salesman and myself told her there was a sissy bar support for passengers. She was quiet after that.(not a good thing)

I understand about making a bike to fit yourself and have no problems with that. I do think that if I got a seat that pulled me back 2 " the passenger seating space which looks already small would be impossible to be comfortable on.

I think the blue color is terrific looking on the trike. With either some striping or pin striping it would really pop.

For short trips around town and limited shopping I think the trunk space is adequate.

On the way home the wife mentioned how she didn't think she would feel secure on the back of the Freewheeler. That it didn't offer enough wrapped support like the larger trikes had. That she thought I looked too big on the trike. I knew there was a problem when she got quiet at the dealership.

Overall I liked the look and fit/finish of the Freewheeler. Not being ready to buy one I didn't ask for a test ride. At this point I am going to rethink the process of buying one. I wouldn't ride a trike enough for me to pay 33K for the Tri glide. Maybe I will end up converting my bike to a trike.
Anyway that was my experience today at the dealership on the Freewheeler.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Damfino1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test rode one on Friday and fell in love with it! Like you, I may need some adjustments...I'm 6'3" and 34" inseam. Tallboy seat, extended floor board kit, and extensions on gear linkage and brake pedal should do it, but all in all, not too uncomfortable to ride stock. IMO.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:09 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Overall I liked the look and fit/finish of the Freewheeler. Not being ready to buy one I didn't ask for a test ride. At this point I am going to rethink the process of buying one. I wouldn't ride a trike enough for me to pay 33K for the Tri glide. Maybe I will end up converting my bike to a trike.
Anyway that was my experience today at the dealership on the Freewheeler.
You know... A used TriGlide might satisfy your issues with comfort and your wife's sense of security. I'm betting you can get into a used TG for right around the same $$$ that you'd spend on a Freewheeler with the necessary bells & whistles.

Just something to consider...

Old 09-28-2014, 04:48 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

True, a used TG might be the ticket. A lot, not all so don't anyone get their panties in a wad, anyway a lot of HD owners must have the latest and greatest, so there is quite a few perfectly good 2011,12,13 TG's for sale or sitting on dealers floors...search the classified section here, Cycle Trader, eBay...etc. might find a good deal, plus this time of year, weather changing to fall and winter becomes a buyers market...

Example:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/4665116114.html

Last edited by Casper; 09-28-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:06 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
The wife doesn't ride with me at all, ever, but she did say she would if I got a trike.

I think I know her. My wife said the same thing last year. So last fall we rented a 2013 Trike and made over 100 miles. She sort of enjoyed it but wasn't convinced we needed to shell out that kind of money for a new toy. Fast forward to one year later and she is okay with me satisfying my desire for a Trike. We just rented a 2014 this past week and made 150 miles. It was a perfect fall day for biking and I drove like an old man in a minivan to keep her from getting any jitters. She enjoyed it more than our rental ride last year. We are ready to buy. We also looked at the Freewheeler but for us it's the Trike or nothing.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:33 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

The FW looks cool, and for a second trike maybe. But for us, having one trike, it's the Tri Glide. Plus I like the goodies that come on the TG...
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:48 AM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FW foot rests are actually a bit more forward than the TG. You WILL be adding highway bar and pegs in all probability on the FW. I'm 6'2" and the stock bars are fine. They can rotate for and aft for some repositioning. 16" Apes ... LOL ... $$$$ .... Sales guy sucks IMO.

If the wife is not going to be on the back A LOT then get what YOU WANT. Otherwise get a TG used or new.

I drove one and .... sorry .... I can not give up my TGs creature comforts.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:08 AM
sweet johnnie
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree with the triglide idea there's still new 13's around here....i think harley missed the mark with the fw,its a cost cutter for them,it should've been a roadking front end with tri glide fenders not that willie g stuff from the 70's,i don't think a 19" front wheel is the best idea for stopping a 1000# bike,at least with the tri glide you can take the tour pak off and it chg's the looks alot,and put it back on for trips.....and at an msrp $24,500 out the door price shoots up to $30k for no windshield,backrest,etc.....tri glide is better value.....

Old 09-28-2014, 09:26 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

We didn't have the time to discuss any other options for a 3 wheeler yesterday. But the suggestions to look for a used trike are good ones. Not many are sold in this area and none used at any of the dealers around me.
As much as I liked the idea of the FW I am going to look for a used TG, Not being in a hurry helps.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Man oh man Casper! That 2011 for 26K is a fantastic deal! Get the seller to 'mark it down' on paper to save on some sales tax and that'd be a steal! Beautiful bike, and it's got some bling on it too.

Quick Reply: I sat on a Freewheeler today