Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Should I switch from a Spyder?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:05 AM
NoMoreSpyders
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I switch from a Spyder?

Hello one and all,
I am new here and looking forward to becoming a part of this community. I have a 2010 Can-Am RT-S SE5 Spyder. I am looking at the 2014 Tri-Glide. I was talking with a gentleman yesterday and he has rode both. He said that the Tri-Glide was difficult in the turns and it required more room to turn around in a parking lot. He did say that he rode the Tri-Glide a few years ago so I am wondering if things have changed since then. I really like the Tri-Glide but want to be comfortable in making the jump. Thanks for any and all of your input.
Ride safe,
Tony

Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Most here having not owned a Spyder RT are going to be hard pressed to give you a definitive answer. I test rode a RT at Stugis in 2012 and can't really say.
Personally I like the TG better, I really like the dealer network for HD better, for service on the road, accessories for the TG is going to a lot better, more service personal trained on TG's....
My suguestion would be go to a dealer and ask for a test ride, ask about the demo program...only you will be able to say if it's harder for you...its a lot of money as you know, so even renting one for a weekend might be in order.

All and all I feel the TG is better for the long run...I understand the new RT is better and has a bigger motor, but again without really riding one for other than a short test ride, I can not give you the answer you're wanting...

Old 10-20-2014, 07:23 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

M wife has a TriGlide so I have ridden one quite a bit. I test rode a Spyder in Sturgis this year and here is my accessment. The Spyder has a softer suspension and is smoother riding, it handles a little better and turns easier, and the power is about equal on the two. Storage is about the same. With no clutch or front brake, the Spyder is more of a no brainer to ride.

The Spyder has no COOL FACTOR, that I can see. If you want something to just take you down the road (Honda Civic) the Spyder will certainly do that. If you want to have an American Icon with all that goes with it, then the TriGlide (Corvette) is for you.

I suggest you go to a dealer and take a test ride, and see what you think about the differences.

Bill

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spyder

Yes we did my wife had a 2013 st limited.i don't like them I like the harley better but that's me.we just got our 2015 triglide saturday.and she loves it.just some getting use to the steering

Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

we rode both before buying new in 2012. the Spyder handled and responded well.
having said that, the wife stated the passenger seat was very uncomfortable for her.
she is a petite person. my major concern was there was too much dependence on the electrical system and the lack of dealer/service facilities established at the time. I don't know if that's valid now in 2014. so after all was discussed and weighed, we purchased a 2013 Tri-Glide. it's a personal decision that you will have too make after you have made some real time experience on the Tri-Glide as others has stated. Good Luck w/your research. cool factors etc should not weigh in as a purchase influence. been there done that. cool does not always make for a comfortable ride.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 AM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should ride anything you want! Have you tried a Freewheeler yet? May change your mind. Happy shopping

Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I harp on Can Am's a lot. Personally I think they're junk and a death trap. Gain..my personal opinion.

BUT here's some food for thought..watch the video...

Rax

Old 10-20-2014, 02:53 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wonder if you have to supply your own or maybe they come with them...

Old 10-20-2014, 03:11 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Be careful with a Tri-Glide if you've ridden a Spyder much. The Spyder and it's nanny will keep you from flipping it. Not so with the Tri-Glide. Other than that you are really comparing apples to oranges. They are two completely different machines. I personally don't have a problem with either one. Big difference is one already has history being a Harley while the other is getting it. In 50 years the whole picture will be different and you can say you rode/had a Spyder in it's youth. Just ride what you want. Don't fall to peer pressure. They are both good machines. Although I would avoid a 13 model Spyder like the plaque. Those are the combustible ones. 11,12 and 14's are darn good. How they managed to bring in a completely new design in 14 without major problems is beyond me. But maybe I'm too used to Harley there.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:36 PM
shrubs2000
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a '12 spyder that was totaled via a taxi outside the Cinci Airport Insurance bought me a 2013. There are some serious reasons I no longer own a can am and now have a '15 Tri Glide. I had just over 10K miles when I traded it in.

I absolutely Love this bike and I'm not regretting the decision at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I switch from a Spyder?