Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Throttle position sensor wiring failure prone.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,218 Likes on 11,131 Posts
Default Throttle position sensor wiring failure prone.

Just a warning for something you may want to check out. Our 2012 Ultra Classic TriGlide was enroute to Morro Bay, when I lost throttle in cow country. I could start it up, but got absolutely no throttle.

In another thread, I detailed the entire experience. But, the short story was that the pins in the connector at the throttle position sensor (behind the AC) were corroded and fried. The dealer that did the work, claimed this was common, and that Harley has tried several time to fix it. As a testimony to the frequency of occurrence, the dealer had 12 repair kits in stock.

So, from now on, as part of my oil change frequency check over, I am going to unplug this connector and examine the pins and wires. You may want to do the same as a 1 minute preventative measure could save a lot of aggravation.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (12-07-2017)
Old 10-24-2014, 04:14 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

May be a good idea to put some dielectric grease on those pins every once in awhile.

mctraveler (12-07-2017)
Old 10-24-2014, 06:23 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Trigeezer , good info . That's what makes this site good !

Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Had the same thing hapen to me in 2012 during Run For the Wall. I lost throttle action about 100 miles west of Junction City Kansas. After shutting down and restarting a few times it started working again. The tech at the HD dealership in Junction City found the problem, cleaned out the connector and reconnected it using some dielectric grease. He said that it was a common problem for moisture to get in the connector over time and for me to check it at every oil change.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I've seen this failure more than a few times.

Knock on wood, in almost 100k miles over three different TBW bikes I've never experienced it.

In the several people I've spoken with that have experienced it, they have been aggressive in washing their bikes, with higher water pressure.

Those of you that have experienced it...do you wash your TG's with high pressure, or let a steady stream of water hit the connector? Curious to know if that is the correlation, or if it is just hit and miss on some corroding and other not.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

talkingrock (12-07-2017)
Old 10-26-2014, 11:38 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I've seen this failure more than a few times.

Knock on wood, in almost 100k miles over three different TBW bikes I've never experienced it.

In the several people I've spoken with that have experienced it, they have been aggressive in washing their bikes, with higher water pressure.

Those of you that have experienced it...do you wash your TG's with high pressure, or let a steady stream of water hit the connector? Curious to know if that is the correlation, or if it is just hit and miss on some corroding and other not.
I never use more than light hose pressure. BUT, my Trike has been washed at dealers a few times. Not sure what they use.

Also, I had an issue with oil drool from the AC. I don't recall seeing any on that connector, but it wouldn't take much to mess it up.

I'll be going after all the connectors I can find with dielectric goop.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 10-26-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

If I'm not mistaken... there is more connection protection at the TB starting with the 14 models.

Maybe you guys with a 14 could post a picture?

HD did this to protect against moisture build up and the troubles most of have had in the past.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
If I'm not mistaken... there is more connection protection at the TB starting with the 14 models.

Maybe you guys with a 14 could post a picture?

HD did this to protect against moisture build up and the troubles most of have had in the past.
I hadn't noticed it before, but there is much better protection on my 14 than on my 11 or 09.

Not my bike, but here's a 14

Here is a pre-14-

Fearless (old nickname) (09-15-2017)
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for posting the pictures Kevin. Now at least I know what the heck this discussion is about.

5wheels (09-17-2017)
Old 10-27-2014, 05:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for posting the pictures Kevin. Yeah, in retrospect the design on my Trike sux! Water is bound to get into the pins, and down the jacket.

I ordered some larger diameter shrink tubing from Amazon so I'm going to seal the sucker up, and coat the pins well with dielectric grease. I haven't unplugged the connector yet to see if the repair the dealer did included dielectric grease.

I'll probably do the work next week. In the interim, no washing until I do the upgrade.

I'll post picture updates. As is, mine looks just like the second picture Kevin posted.

Fearless (old nickname) (09-15-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle position sensor wiring failure prone.