Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Paint Spatter Everywhere!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

That sucks. I would out of my mind if that happened to me. Hell I even get pissed with splattered bug guts. Hope it gets resolved.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by curlydee
Get a clay bar, google it, they bars work wonders
I was amazed how well a clay bar worked on the overspray on my bike. It took off the house paint overspray 100%

Old 11-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sorry to the OP, that really Sux. I hope you can get it resolved.

So, if you threw a bowling ball in the air and it landed on his head, you could claim gravity is an act of a God.
But, glad you got yours taken care of.
Totally off topic but funny none the less...

If you drive by a golf course and a ball comes through your windshield or you live next to a fairway and a ball comes through your $4000 dining room window there is no recourse to collect damages from the person who hit the ball or the course. There was no "intent" to hit your property. The intent was to drive the ball and have it stay on the course.

Same goes for paint that the wind just took and ruined your $35k motorcycle. The intent was to hit the ground so if a gust of wind caused over spray to hit you... well, according to that DOT lawyer, it wasn't their fault.

Yeah... all fixed up but it took an expert. I cringe what the OP will go through.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:17 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds stupid about the golf ball thing , but here in Indiana where I live there have been several friends that were compensated by the golfers auto insurance ! True story. I truly believe the DOT can be held liable for your paint damage ! Ebert

Old 11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Since the law differs between states the OP maybe able to get compensated. My damage was a car. Much easier to clean up than a bike.

The golf liability thing... sat on many DOB for golf clubs and its was never an issue when off premiss damage was found. I think it's great if the golfer wanted to make it right then he/she has that ability using auto insurance but here isn't not mandatory.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 PM
shrubs2000
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Met with the insurance adjuster today. I have an appointment at a body shop tomorrow after work. I'll have to wait to see what they say. He seems to "think" it can be buffed out but I'm not that confident... The only thing I know for sure is I won't let them paint or repaint anything.

More to follow...

Old 11-12-2014, 07:12 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrubs2000
Met with the insurance adjuster today. I have an appointment at a body shop tomorrow after work. I'll have to wait to see what they say. He seems to "think" it can be buffed out but I'm not that confident... The only thing I know for sure is I won't let them paint or repaint anything.

More to follow...
I'd be concerned a body shop may not be able to efficiently 'compound/polish' the defects out and resort to wet sanding reducing the 'mil' thickness of your clear coat. If this ends up being the case I'd want another couple few coats of clear with a wetsand/buff similar to OEM 'flatness'. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
I was amazed how well a clay bar worked on the overspray on my bike. It took off the house paint overspray 100%
Completely off topic, but man that's one sweet ServiCar! 1st 3 wheeler I ever rode was one just like that... Well, except it was old and tattered. And the trunk was converted to liquor and beer storage! That machine needs it's own thread on here somewhere!

Old 11-13-2014, 04:19 PM
FLRT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZD
Completely off topic, but man that's one sweet ServiCar! That machine needs it's own thread on here somewhere!

Totally agree!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:07 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shrubs2000

More to follow...
What's the verdict shrubs?

Quick Reply: Paint Spatter Everywhere!