Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Anyone here ride two abreast with a 2 wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:30 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I can count on one hand the number of people I have ridden side by side with in the last 40+ years. Takes a great deal of trust for me. That said, as ZD mentioned, it can be a lot of fun.

Devin, the "D" in DK, and I ride side by side sometimes (interstate only). If fact we did just earlier this week.

Conditions always dictate how I ride, whether by myself or with other riders.

Riding side by side with Devin changes to staggered if there is any traffic or other circumstances and the one of the left goes ahead (unless a unique circumstance dictates otherwise).

For me you gotta really know & trust the other person, be able to communicate without words, and yeah, you are definitely putting your life in their hands.

Earlier this week when Devin & I were riding, we probably covered about 100 miles, and the 15 miles or so that we rode side by side were the most fun/memorable.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 PM
FLRT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Once and a while the wife and I will let my girlfriend ride her two wheeler next to us. Depends on the Road conditions though.

You have a wife and a girlfriend??

Old 11-13-2014, 07:14 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

I stay away from people who ride side-by-side.
Not smart!
Take a group riding course and it's frowned on, big time!
No way to escape in case of a needed quick lane change.
One word.... DUMB!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:45 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

In California Freeway lanes are normally 12 feet wide, some of the older highways are 8 feet. It really isn't a problem riding 2 abreast on the highways. Usually cars avoid large motorcycle groups so you have a lane next to you that is usually empty. There has been times when wife and I ride side by side on our trikes. You gotta have fun!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:48 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

To all the naysayers; go to Honolulu and group ride for a few days. It's always side by side and tight, otherwise you will die due to the idiots in cages. Had never done it before going to the Hawaii state HOG rally. Group if 18 mostly strangers, no incidents no issues. And yes it was fun in the twisties and the rolling road blocks by the road captains was pretty cool. Wouldn't do it on a daily basis, but also don't ride in large groups.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FLRT
You have a wife and a girlfriend??
Ahhh I knew that would get a rise out of someone. Yes actually the girl friend is an old high school friend who lost her man. We frequently take her on rides with us. Strictly plutonic, but we love her, and we always joke about her being the girl friend. She is a very good 2 wheel rider, and before we went three wheel, we used to ride with her side by side quite a bit.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Riding two abreast is suicide.

I don't care who does it, I don't care how long you've done it, it is a death wish.

Don't do it. Ever.
You better tell the cops to stop before they get killed

Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Not on your life - - or mine for that matter. A few weeks ago an a$$wipe came out of a driveway - with absolutely no warning - I mean none. If I was riding 2 abreast we both would have been killed. I lifted the rear wheel a foot of the ground just barely missing the jerk. No one, no matter great a rider they are would have survived that.
Out on the open highway = maybe - not a chance in the city.

I don't see the rush riding side by side. I like a little elbow room.
If you like it, go for it - who's to say you can't?

Stay safe.
I agree, I don't share my part of the lane with anyone. Some years back I know of some folks who got in a hell of a wreck riding side by side on a freeway. Car in front stepped hard on the brakes for some reason, the guy on the outside did what came natural when you have a car on your right at the one in front jams on the brakes. He went for the median which took him right into his buddy riding on the inside, killed his passenger and his buddies wife.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Springman2007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back while on 2-wheels, over two decades ago, I stopped riding side-by-side. I have seen and experienced the horrific mess that it can evolve into when a co-rider makes a mistake. I lost a good friend and all desire to ride that way, all in the same instance.
Since then I ride staggered in groups; and, I see not reason to change my thinking now that I am on 3-wheels.

I also prefer to ride as the "Sweeper" (end of the pack) since that accident too, I would add.

Springman

Old 11-14-2014, 05:31 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Once and a while the wife and I will let my girlfriend ride her two wheeler next to us. Depends on the Road conditions though.
if my girlfriend was riding with me and my wife I would not be worried about having a wreck, I know how I was going to die , but I never ride 2 abreast

Quick Reply: Anyone here ride two abreast with a 2 wheeler?