Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide or Roadsmith Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 PM
osudvm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TriGlide or Roadsmith Conversion?

I am just curious for those of you that have done a conversion to a Trike, if you used Roadsmith conversion,and if so, were you happy. Is Roadsmith considered the top dog? To do a fully loaded conversion with all the bells and whistles what did you pay including the installation? Also, do you think the conversions are better than the TriGlide? Take away the water cooled aspect of the new TriGlide when making this comparison since I am most curious about handling and ride more than the water cooled feature. Are conversions truly better than just getting a TriGlide? The conversions, best I can tell, would run about $18,000 by the time you got it loaded out, installed, and taxes. Any other points I am missing please jump in and add to my questions. Would one just be better trading in for a TriGlide? Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Steady Eddy
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I researched the heck outta this topic, cause it's time to go to 3 wheels for me. My paid-for 2010 Road King made the decision easier. Financially it was a no brainer to go with the conversion rather than start over with a TriGlide or Freewheeler. After much hand- wringing and reading every last morsel I could find, I decided on the Motor Trike conversion. The independent suspension is miles ahead of the TriGlide solid axle. RoadSmith is also a fine product, but I just didn't like the additional 10' of wheelbase that it adds (looks strange to me). Total cost to convert: about 16k.
Respects,
ed

Old 11-25-2014, 08:02 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by Steady Eddy
I researched the heck outta this topic, cause it's time to go to 3 wheels for me. My paid-for 2010 Road King made the decision easier. Financially it was a no brainer to go with the conversion rather than start over with a TriGlide or Freewheeler. After much hand- wringing and reading every last morsel I could find, I decided on the Motor Trike conversion. The independent suspension is miles ahead of the TriGlide solid axle. RoadSmith is also a fine product, but I just didn't like the additional 10' of wheelbase that it adds (looks strange to me). Total cost to convert: about 16k.
Respects,
ed

Thanks Eddy. I looked at the TriGlide specs and it said it has independent rear suspension. I looked because the Roadsmith and also Motor Trike suspension looked very good so I wanted to compare. Am I wrong about the TriGlide suspension?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
I am just curious for those of you that have done a conversion to a Trike, if you used Roadsmith conversion,and if so, were you happy. Is Roadsmith considered the top dog? To do a fully loaded conversion with all the bells and whistles what did you pay including the installation? Also, do you think the conversions are better than the TriGlide? Take away the water cooled aspect of the new TriGlide when making this comparison since I am most curious about handling and ride more than the water cooled feature. Are conversions truly better than just getting a TriGlide? The conversions, best I can tell, would run about $18,000 by the time you got it loaded out, installed, and taxes. Any other points I am missing please jump in and add to my questions. Would one just be better trading in for a TriGlide? Thanks in advance for your input.
While all conversions are relative to what a person is looking for in a Trike, the Tri Glide has a lot to offer with it's '14 & '15 models especially.
I would consider a Hannigan, or California Side Car the best kits on the market, but that is my opinion as far as kits.
The '14 & '15 Tri Glide has the advantage of a factory warranty on the whole Trike where on a kit you have to go through the separate manufacture.
The solid rear axle isn't really a draw back from IRS depending what type of roads you will be driving on most of the time. IRS might be a bit softer on rough roads, but from what others have posted on good roads not really different.
The colors of paint is an advantage with a kit.
When you put on a kit you add a lot of weight from the 2 wheel version. Also the wind resistance is greater. But this is the same with any Trike. You also add to the felt heat factor because of the body not letting the air flow away as well as 2 wheels. Also you might need to change the drive sprocket for the added weight of the Trike.
The '14 & '15 Tri Glides have a higher output engine over the previous years. This has been a real asset so far with the water cooled heads.
Also the newest electronics in the faring for these newer years.
To get the top of the line add on kit you are going to have more invested than a new Tri Glide to get the equivalent equipment.
But you might have IRS if you are after that. More moving parts & more parts to go bad also. By the way the Tri Glide does NOT come with IRS. Don't believe otherwise !!
Quite a few here are very happy with their Kit Trikes, but I think more are satisfied they went with a factory Tri Glide. Many of the kit owners would go with the Tri Glide if they were to do it again also. Kits offer a few other options over the Tri Glide, but not a lot.
LOOK VERY HARD AT BOTH OPTIONS !!
Again this is just my opinion.......

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-25-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Haveing owned four trike conversions ( granted they were Goldwings) but just the same, I prefer the TG to a kit. Reason? warranty, accessories, ease of service if needed.
The kits are nice, I again prefer the CSC Daytona kit, but again that's subjective to the buyer. The wing kits averaged around 15000,00 after all said and done.
Bottom line is, installer, instaler, instaler!!!!! best kit in the world, but a bad install and you have a bad trike.
You would be better served to check out the Goldwing forums trike section, they are all kits because Honda doen't make a factory trike. see what issues thay have incountered and what installers are the best, some installers do both brands, Honda and Harley.
Good luck in what direction you go...

Old 11-26-2014, 03:55 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yea Yea

I think most people on this forum went through your process. I ended up with selling the two wheel and buying the Tri-Glide. I haven't rode an independent suspension but the tri glide is way fun and I have had absolutely zero issues with it for the first year. I really like it..much more than I thought I would! The final deciding issue for me was this. If I have a vibration, or something annoying on the conversion who is going to find and fix it? Harley won't care and the conversion is kinda done with you once it's converted. I had a Goldwing conversion few years back and I thought I like it. But I really like this Harley Tri-Glide and am impressed with it after most every ride. The price difference isn't a great deal more if your getting all that the Tri Glide offers. So good luck and keep us up to date of your decision.
Hap

Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd also look at Hannigan if going kit.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I went through this earlier in the year. Had a paid for '10 Ultra and needed to make the move to 3 wheels. I researched and talked to what I believe was every conversion kit manufacturer in the business except Voyager as I wasn't interested in them. Some of the conversations were in person at an actual dealer, some by phone but they all ended at the same conclusion.

I am one of the fortunate ones who has most of the equipment and ability to do all my own work except paint. Of the various trike conversion kits I was looking at between $12 and $18k investment, not including paint, with me doing all the installation work.

This made my decision an easy one. There was no way I was putting that kind of money into a 4 yo Ultra with 20+k miles on it. The return on investment was just not there so I opted to sell my UC and buy a '14 TG.

So far, the wife and I have been very well satisfied with the decision. It may not be the decision for everyone but it was for us.

Lilman

Old 11-26-2014, 05:47 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lilman
I went through this earlier in the year. Had a paid for '10 Ultra and needed to make the move to 3 wheels. I researched and talked to what I believe was every conversion kit manufacturer in the business except Voyager as I wasn't interested in them. Some of the conversations were in person at an actual dealer, some by phone but they all ended at the same conclusion.

I am one of the fortunate ones who has most of the equipment and ability to do all my own work except paint. Of the various trike conversion kits I was looking at between $12 and $18k investment, not including paint, with me doing all the installation work.

This made my decision an easy one. There was no way I was putting that kind of money into a 4 yo Ultra with 20+k miles on it. The return on investment was just not there so I opted to sell my UC and buy a '14 TG.

So far, the wife and I have been very well satisfied with the decision. It may not be the decision for everyone but it was for us.

Lilman

To all of you who have posted thank you so much for the great information. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I really love the TriGlide, how it looks, and the storage. I was wasn't sure if the conversion was a good option for me and my 2009 Ultra Classic. It only has 22,000 miles on it. My wife likes the TriGlide too and how she sits on the back of the bike. I just wish they were not $34,000 but that is what you will have to pay best I can tell. I might have to wait a few years and look for a good used 2014. Again, this was great info and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You have convinced me that if I go to a trike, to stay with the TriGlide.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by osudvm
To all of you who have posted thank you so much for the great information. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I really love the TriGlide, how it looks, and the storage. I was wasn't sure if the conversion was a good option for me and my 2009 Ultra Classic. It only has 22,000 miles on it. My wife likes the TriGlide too and how she sits on the back of the bike. I just wish they were not $34,000 but that is what you will have to pay best I can tell. I might have to wait a few years and look for a good used 2014. Again, this was great info and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. You have convinced me that if I go to a trike, to stay with the TriGlide.
Look around at all the dealers. There are some good deals out there on some '14's used. Believe it or not. Some people trade every year or so. Check out all the classifieds also. If you find one at a great price you can always do Harley Finance on them. And if year & millage is right a warranty also.
After you trade your Ultra in on it it won't be that bad. You might even find a new '14 that never sold at a good price......
One other thing to consider is Harley dealers don't like to trade for kitted Harleys. Most won't even talk trade with you. They just say sell your own.

Last edited by sloufoot; 11-27-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: TriGlide or Roadsmith Conversion?