Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I add a high flow intake but leave the stock muffler for back pressure which adds torque. Then I put in a Cobra FI2000R-CL fuel programmer which operates downstream of the ECM and boosts the AFR to 12.8 to 1.

Then I run 87 octane.

The AFR of 12.8 is the coolest incoming charge and is the easiest to ignite with the fastest burn. Gasoline has 114,500 BTU's irrespective of it's octane. The more that gets burned during the power stroke the more power is made. The higher the octane the harder to burn and the more that goes out the exhaust.

So with the more complete burning and the coolest incoming charge results in more power which in turn requires less throttle to maintain speed.

Included is adding an oil cooler if not standard. Each 3K the engine is treated to remove carbon deposits. Iridium plugs and SE wires. Have not found a source yet for a higher rated coil. Also, I had my fun with wot riding in the 60's and 70's. Now that I am grown up I accelerate modestly and don't exceed the speed limit.

I have modified 15 HD's in my stable since 2009. There are 13 now as I have upgraded some by trading and thinned some for more room to move them around. Each and every one gets the same mods.

EPA highway estimates are 54 mpg on both the TC 96 and 103 (non High Output). HD used to publish that but have since just put the combined city/highway at 42 mpg.

So, yes Santa can bring you 50 mpg in your TC but you must earn it.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-16-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I add a high flow intake but leave the stock muffler for back pressure which adds torque. Then I put in a Cobra FI2000R-CL fuel programmer which operates downstream of the ECM and boosts the AFR to 12.8 to 1.

Then I run 87 octane.

The AFR of 12.8 is the coolest incoming charge and is the easiest to ignite with the fastest burn. Gasoline has 114,500 BTU's irrespective of it's octane. The more that gets burned during the power stroke the more power is made. The higher the octane the harder to burn and the more that goes out the exhaust.

So with the more complete burning and the coolest incoming charge results in more power which in turn requires less throttle to maintain speed.

Included is adding an oil cooler if not standard. Each 3K the engine is treated to remove carbon deposits. Iridium plugs and SE wires. Have not found a source yet for a higher rated coil. Also, I had my fun with wot riding in the 60's and 70's. Now that I am grown up I accelerate modestly and don't exceed the speed limit.

I have modified 15 HD's in my stable since 2009. There are 13 now as I have upgraded some by trading and thinned some for more room to move them around. Each and every one gets the same mods.

EPA highway estimates are 54 mpg on both the TC 96 and 103 (non High Output). HD used to publish that but have since just put the combined city/highway at 42 mpg.

Over the years I have read your posts on this subject with great interest. I have PM'd you several times, but never gotten a response.

I would very much like to try what you do (although, I do have a heavy wrist at times).

My question is, do you alter the timing at all, or are you using the stock timing tables?

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-17-2014, 08:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

DK -Never got a pm. I always answer.
As to the timing I leave it stock as I use 87 octane. I won't even use HD's Stage I as it advances the spark timing some.

I would like to do one bike as a power monster. I have watched your video of the 1250 conversion in action. It's awesome.

To bad I don't live closer. I could loan you the Freewheeler to develop some parts.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:11 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Then I run 87 octane.

IH4X4 what is the carbon removal process and is it because 87 creates more deposits? Thanks for your info ! Ebert

Old 12-19-2014, 04:43 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Then I run 87 octane.

A 12.8 AFR isn't the easiest to ignite, yes its the coolest, but not optimal in the cruising areas. A leaner AFR will ignite much easier and quicker than a rich one, 14.6 will ignite quicker than 12.8. A 12.8 AFR at idle and low engine rpm's will wash down the cylinders with excess unburnt fuel, resulting in shorter engine life. A narrow band O2 sensor which is what comes stock on a HD won't operate properly at 12.8 AFR, it will not be accurate. If indeed your running at a 12.8 AFR that is why you get away with 87 octane fuel, the extremely rich AFR is keeping precognition at bay. One of the tricks some tuners who can't tune properly will use to stop pinging is throw fuel at it. This results in no pinging, but poor fuel mileage.

If you have to de-carbon and engine because the AFR is so rich, it isn't a good thing, bad things are taking place. Have you ever verified excess carbon build up by either a bore scope or engine disassembly?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:44 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Triglide with a TTS tuner gas mileagee in town

I remember getting about 30 plus gas mileage before my new TTS tuner. Around town and going on short runs , I am only getting a little over 25 mpg. I need to go on a 100 mile ride to see what I get on the freeway. At 6 gallons that only gets me 150 mile range max. I do notice better acceleration with two up. By myself I am shifting at around 4000 rpms and sometimes take it to 5500 rpm. Max cut off rpm is 6200. Dont go there at all, maybe 2xs since the new tuner. 4th gear to get into traffic. I hope this made sense.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
I remember getting about 30 plus gas mileage before my new TTS tuner. Around town and going on short runs , I am only getting a little over 25 mpg. I need to go on a 100 mile ride to see what I get on the freeway. At 6 gallons that only gets me 150 mile range max. I do notice better acceleration with two up. By myself I am shifting at around 4000 rpms and sometimes take it to 5500 rpm. Max cut off rpm is 6200. Dont go there at all, maybe 2xs since the new tuner. 4th gear to get into traffic. I hope this made sense.
Your Triglide isn't tuned properly, you shouldn't be loosing fuel mileage. When I had my 2010 Triglide I gained an average of 8 mpg by using a tuner and tuning it. What are your modifications and what map did you use?

Old 03-26-2015, 04:15 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm averaging 35.1 to 35.5 @ 80 mph on the highway (speed limit here is 75 ... you do that you'll get run over ... LOL). Around town I'm averaging 33.5 to 34.1 ... I think I get a little heavy handed around town.

I'm using the Dyno Jet Power Vision. Started with a close canned map from dyno Jet and did a bunch of auto tune runs ... I think 7 ... would of been less I think, but didn't see the % learned until Kevin mentioned it ... he was right me old eyes just didn't see it. The last run it said 0% learned, so I quit doing them. I might do a couple when we hit 90* here.

The only reason I care about gas mileage is we have really great rides around me that if you take the "off the beaten path" route, you could need to go 150-160 miles between fill ups. I can easily go 200 miles on a tank now so I'm good.

I'm also gonna purchase a Rotopax 3 gal can .. fume/leak proof and fits lying flat in the trunk, only about 4" of the trunk used. I'm getting this cause we have a couple of bikes with 2.5 gallon tanks that go with us and they always need some one to bring fuel.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:21 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
I'm also gonna purchase a Rotopax 3 gal can .. fume/leak proof and fits lying flat in the trunk, only about 4" of the trunk used. I'm getting this cause we have a couple of bikes with 2.5 gallon tanks that go with us and they always need some one to bring fuel.

Hey, great idea! Turn your trike into a rolling Molotov Cocktail just in case someone else needs gas.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screwball
Hey, great idea! Turn your trike into a rolling Molotov Cocktail just in case someone else needs gas.
Like it's not one already?

Quick Reply: TriGlide Fuel Mileage