Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 PM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe

I'm using the Dyno Jet Power Vision. Started with a close canned map from dyno Jet and did a bunch of auto tune runs ... I think 7 ... would of been less I think, but didn't see the % learned until Kevin mentioned it ... he was right me old eyes just didn't see it.
I've been reading your posts on the Power Vision tuner with great interest.
I'm trying to make up my mind to pull the trigger and spend the money to get one.
My bike is bone stock and unless there is some real advantqage to changing things like air cleaner and exhaust, I plan to leave it alone and ride it.
I enjoy it like it is except for the bad, to me, mileage.
Thanks for the information everyone has given.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Starlifter
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this forum, new to Harley, and new to a 2010 Tri Glide with under 4000 miles on it which, sadly, I have inherited from my sister. With 47 years of riding under my butt though, I'm not new to bikes.

My wife and I went on a two-day ride to the Texas Hill Country which was our first trip on it. I was somewhat surprised that I only got right at 30 mpg with 90% of the riding between 40 and 60 mph. I've seen better mpg posted here, but not many worse. I suspect it'll really suck if I get up to 65 or 70.

I put about 50 miles on the Tri Glide before putting my wife on the back just to get used to it. It's VERY different from what I'm used to. About half way through the trip I actually began to enjoy it, but it still can't challenge my two-wheelers for top spot.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Fuel mileage is also different dependent on where you ride. Same setup, and same tune, we would get 32 mpg avg in WI, then go out west and averaged 41 mpg and that was 40 through 70 mph with some 85 mph. The higher elevation had a big effect to increase mpg. Back in WI back down to 32 average. Now I am not one to really care about the mpg, but track it to know how many miles to empty.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:05 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Fuel mileage is also different dependent on where you ride. Same setup, and same tune, we would get 32 mpg avg in WI, then go out west and averaged 41 mpg and that was 40 through 70 mph with some 85 mph. The higher elevation had a big effect to increase mpg. Back in WI back down to 32 average. Now I am not one to really care about the mpg, but track it to know how many miles to empty.
I don't care much about it either, I just need to know I can get 200 miles on a tank ... Lots of wide open spaces out here

Old 04-11-2015, 01:03 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Starlifter
I am new to this forum, new to Harley, and new to a 2010 Tri Glide with under 4000 miles on it which, sadly, I have inherited from my sister. With 47 years of riding under my butt though, I'm not new to bikes.

My wife and I went on a two-day ride to the Texas Hill Country which was our first trip on it. I was somewhat surprised that I only got right at 30 mpg with 90% of the riding between 40 and 60 mph. I've seen better mpg posted here, but not many worse. I suspect it'll really suck if I get up to 65 or 70.

I put about 50 miles on the Tri Glide before putting my wife on the back just to get used to it. It's VERY different from what I'm used to. About half way through the trip I actually began to enjoy it, but it still can't challenge my two-wheelers for top spot.
There is a number of things that will affect the millage. One is keeping the engine lugging down. Not keeping it in the power band. If the drive sprocket has 32 teeth it really needs to be changed out to the 30 tooth to improve the power, & make 6th gear usable under 70MPH. It will also improve the millage by letting the engine run free at cruising speeds with the HP available.
Also don't pickup 6th gear until at least 60MPH & that needs to be higher if the drive sprocket is 32 tooth. You will find 5th gear is a lot better millage for anything below 60MPH. Don't lug down.
You didn't mention If everything is stock on the Trike or not.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:41 AM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Rode my new Tri up to Lakewood, Colorado today. If you want to see the route, Google maps for Saguache, CO to Lakewood. Did the speed limits the whole way, no hard acceleration, but plenty of 7% grades, used 6th gear down to 50mph plenty unless climbing a grade. Got 45mpg.

I don't track mileage for any other reason than to compare one reading to another and spot engine problems early. My 2001 EFI Road King consistently gets 49mpg. New Tri has been getting 35, but that's been street and break-in riding. OTR was 45, and I'm impressed.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 AM
livin2ride2
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
I agree with this and this has been my experience evertime I go from MO West and back.

Originally Posted by sloufoot
There is a number of things that will affect the millage. One is keeping the engine lugging down. Not keeping it in the power band. If the drive sprocket has 32 teeth it really needs to be changed out to the 30 tooth to improve the power, & make 6th gear usable under 70MPH. It will also improve the millage by letting the engine run free at cruising speeds with the HP available.
Also don't pickup 6th gear until at least 60MPH & that needs to be higher if the drive sprocket is 32 tooth. You will find 5th gear is a lot better millage for anything below 60MPH. Don't lug down.
You didn't mention If everything is stock on the Trike or not.
I also agree with Sloufoot. That big twin does not like to lug around. Keep that baby up near 2800 or above and the mileage will be better unless you are smoking along at 75 MPH plus then it will go to pot.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Bomber1955
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Milage on 2017 TriGlide

According to the printout from Harley I'm suppose to get 42mpg on my new Trike.
I have been averaging around town getting 32mpg. Witch I don't think is that bad for the way I have been riding it.
I only have about 500 miles on it right now so I'm hoping it will improve in time.
I also have custom wheels and tires on my bike, I don't know if that makes any difference?

Last edited by Bomber1955; 03-13-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Add Picture
The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Bomber1955, that is one good looking TG! My buddy and I live up in the NE corner of the Cape. If you ever want to catch one of our long rides with us give a shout. I wouldn't mind seeing that bad boy up close!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:32 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

There's an app .Fuelio. I use it to track cost on the trucks . If you factor everything . It will break down to cost per mile .
I add the triglide to it for the last 1000 miles it averaged 31.33 mpg best 33.6 worst 30.3 . When I went to N C to the blue ridge I got 42 mpg in the mountains .