Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

DK Custom Products

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:27 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going for it

Got the instructions from DK, same ones that came with the kit. Reread them and they seem straight forward. I have a python front wheel chock, Should hold the wheel fine. I also have a Kuryakyn Receiver Hitch to install so it will be a twofer. Planning on 12/18 if all works out. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure if they have updated their instructions or not. But in the notes section at the end, it mentions removing the ebrake bracket for installation. So if you are following along on the left side, and are wondering why you cant do what the isntructions say, go to the notes and see the part about removing that.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Default Been there done that

Originally Posted by COFLHTK
Not sure if they have updated their instructions or not. But in the notes section at the end, it mentions removing the ebrake bracket for installation. So if you are following along on the left side, and are wondering why you cant do what the isntructions say, go to the notes and see the part about removing that.
Installed it today ... good instructions and since I read the whole instructions first, very rare for me, it went like a dream. All told ... about 1.5 hours with sum help from a Navy buddy.

When I lifted the trike, I lifted it using the crossmember, then put jack stands under the rails that run along the mufflers. Not sure if that's why, but the axel didn't drop very much, maybe 1/2". As a result, I needed to push the shock up slightly to get the bolt holes aligned. I used a piece of 1 1/2" pvc pipe to gently move the shock up ... worked well and no stress on shock just allowed me so leverage while I put the bolts in. The toughest part was trying to figure out the dopy equation for torque calculations when using the offset on the shock bolts.

I got just over 1.25" of lift. I'll measure again after everything "aligns" itself in a few miles. "Fat Bottom Girl" looks much better without the saggy butt. Still a Fat Bottom, just not as saggy ... LOL. Haven't had a chance to put any miles on it since adding the lift, snow/rain today, but, tomorrow is supposed to be nicer, some sun .... low 40's. Really looking forward to testing it out. Thanks to DK Customs for all their help ... great company to do business with ... I'm gonna check out their other products when I get the rest of the stuff from the 2011 Ultra and other new purchases installed.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Default Receiver Hitch

I did install the hitch from Kuryakyn too ... went well and was easier with the bike up and wheels off.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Redcrow
Cruiser

Hey Kevin. Just a thought how about you guys make a video for YouTube, since you get this same question often? Including me when I purchased my kit from you. The biggest thing to me was understanding the proper way to lift the rear, and jack stand placement! I too had a problem with getting the axle to fall enough to reinstall shock bolts. Worked out well though!
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:36 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Redcrow
Hey Kevin. Just a thought how about you guys make a video for YouTube, since you get this same question often? Including me when I purchased my kit from you. The biggest thing to me was understanding the proper way to lift the rear, and jack stand placement! I too had a problem with getting the axle to fall enough to reinstall shock bolts. Worked out well though!
Thanks.
Ditto ... a video would of been great.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcrow
Thanks.
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Ditto ... a video would of been great.
Yes, we get the question on jack stand placement. We have re-written the instructions a few times, trying to make it more clear, but this may be a circumstance where a picture (or a video) is worth a thousand words.

We will try and get one done in January sometime. Right now we are in the midst of re-arranging our R&D/bike working area...so that might be one of the first things we do once we have our workspace back.

Thanks!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-23-2014, 11:06 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Default First Impressions of the comfort Lift

Now that I've got about 50 miles on the Fat Bottom Girl's Rear Lift, I gotta say ... there is a pretty big difference. It's hard to put into words, but, it's almost like an independent suspension. I notice each of the rear wheels reacting more to the bumps. I'm guessing this is due to the shock angle change. The net result is a more comfortable ride. Having just gotten used to the trike to begin with, this change will take some getting used to also. I think when I get used to it, I'll feel the trike handles better. Just my 2 cents worth. Kevin can probably explain it better. I highly recommend this mod.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:09 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I installed the kit today. I have to say, if you aren't tooled for the job, have it done. I'm tooled for it, and following the instructions it went well. The wife took it out and said it make a big difference in the way it handled. Wife happy, life happy. I don't have a lot of experience with a trike, but it seems to me negotiating the bumps on our dirt roads was a lot better, and the effort of driving down the highway was less. Good job, DK, and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:41 AM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In reading this thread, I see that a lot of people installed the comfort lift kit.
When I ordered my kit, I decided to get the regular lift kit because of the statement about 540 pounds being the limit if the comfort lift kit is used.
I weigh a touch over 330 and, with some luggage or another person with me, I can see that that limit would be easily surpassed.
Did I figure correctly or not?
Since it's Saturday, I didn't ry to call DK.

Quick Reply: DK Custom Products