Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Any Bad Reviews re. the Freewheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Douce
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Any Bad Reviews re. the Freewheeler?

O.K. boys and girls, I've got the entire winter to ponder my purchase of the H-D Freewheeler (seeing how I've just fractured my ankle, I definitely have time to ponder). I see a lot of good things being written and said about the Freewheeler, but very little on the bad side (apart from short bobber rear fenders (don't care) and licence plates not centred (don't care)). I'd like to see not necessarily bad things, but things of concern, over-heating, vibration, poor ride, etc..
Thanks for your time.

Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I traded my '09 Tri-Glide for my Free and I love it. It vibrates like a Harley, drives like a Harley, and makes funny noises like a Harley. I'm kind of a 'back to basics' guy. I bought the Tri-Glide because I wanted a Harley factory trike. It was fun to drive, but I'd rather not have the bat wing, lower fairings, radio and all that other stuff. I have no need for 10,000 cubic feet of storage space. Again, I LOVE IT!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

While the FW is not for me, I love all the bells and whistles....hey, I'm a gadget guy
But I have not heard anything but good from the owners...like Screwball stated, it's a Harley so it's gonna ride, sound, shake like a Harley....and to me that's a good thing...if I wanted a Goldwing ( nothing wrong with them) I'd have bought one...

All I've heard is good....sounds like a test ride is in order when you can...

Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

I've not heard anything bad. We've been wanting to test fit some parts on them, but all the dealerships in our area don't have any...they're all sold before they even arrive at the dealership.

I went out to service a few times to see if I could get my hands on one back there..none in for service or repair either!

We have quite a few dealerships around the country that stock our parts, so we started calling...to get one of them that might have a Freewheeler that would could get them to test fit some parts for us. We called 32 dealerships before we finally found one that had one on the floor!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-16-2014, 05:46 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I have no plans to buy one but it will be the first one I jump on when Demo Days rolls around in the spring. To me they look really cool.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
I have no plans to buy one but it will be the first one I jump on when Demo Days rolls around in the spring. To me they look really cool.
Sounds like a plan....

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

I rode one during the local dealer's demo days; I loved it. Handles much easier than my Triglide and was a blast to ride. I rode it about 40 miles in total. One of my friends rode it and he is now in line to get one. I'll b keeping my Triglide, I like all the bells and whistles

Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Shodanusmc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased the Tri Glide but did look at the Free Wheeler. How is it easier to ride than the Tri Glide?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:27 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I just turned 3K on my Freewheeler. It is my first trike. I traded a Ural in on it.

For me it is to ride in the winter as I did with the Ural.

It is about 1" lower than the TriGlide. That along with no weight high up with the fairing and travel trunk makes it's center of gravity lower. I have not been as careful with higher speed turning as I was with the Ural (if you can even use high speed and Ural in the same sentence).

I was very surprised with the out put of the 103 HO engine. I did not expect it to pull as strong as it does.

The dealer agreed to include swapping the stock reduced reach seat with a Sundowner seat and a windshield. I'm 6'3" and don't need reduced anything. That seat is very comfortable. I did add a backrest which also improves comfort.

Since I was used to a sidecar rig the three wheeler is much easier to handle.

My only complaint is that on a bumpy road there is side to side movement. Not in tracking which is great but the chassis hits my knees. I have learned to keep the out from the tank. A life long habit of squeezing the tank is hard to overcome. It will drop out of cruse control more often than a two wheeler because of the bumpier ride.

I got it because I liked the fenders and the clean trunk without the license holder. Was not interested in any Tri Glide but when I saw the Freewheeler at the dealers, I got out my check book.

This is what a trike should look like in the winter.
Name:  DSCF1206_zps0cf6f7c3.jpg
Views: 5215
Size:  101.5 KB

Last edited by lh4x4; 01-12-2015 at 12:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lh4x4:
Autumn Knight 1 (10-16-2016), missedem (06-11-2016)
Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You should play with the suspension. You shouldn't have so much side to side bump that you have to back out of the throttle.

Quick Reply: Any Bad Reviews re. the Freewheeler?