Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Coolant leak

Old 12-19-2014, 09:58 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leak

I have a leak .... little dribble on the inside of the right lower. The coolant level was down about 1/2". My problem is the dealer is shutting down service until after 1/7/15.

He gave me a new pressure cap for the radiator, and a half bottle of coolant to top it off. My issue is i can't figure out how to get the cap off. Must be holding my mouth wrong. Both the shop and owners manual simple say to remove it.
i twisted it all the way counter clockwise but it doesn't want to come off. Also, The plastic that the cap goes on spins pretty freely inside the hose. Should i clamp it?

Any ideas? Let my tongue hang to the left? Seriously ... all help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh No !!! The Fat Bottom Girl had to tinkle a little...LOL

Old 12-19-2014, 11:43 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

That loose neck is probably where the leak is. If there is a clamp you can tighten, do so . Then try to remove the cap. When you reach the end of the cap rotation press down on the cap while you turn.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:48 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Thanks .. Will give it a try.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:22 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Okay ... so pushing down did get the cap off. I did put the new cap on. The clamp around the neck was not adjustable, so I took it off and put a new adjustable on. Can't go for a ride to test it out cause it's snowing ... not sticking but enough to be nasty. Maybe tomorrow, just probably need to get it to operating temp and recheck. Will update as I can.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Yeah ... finally got the coolant system pressure tested. My dealer shut down his shop over Christmas and New Year to redo the floor. I went back on the 9th and they were still not fully up, guess moving every thing messed up the computers and lots of stuff got misplaced. Anyway, on the 9th, they said my filler neck was bad and the 2015's weren't supposed to be under the recall, but it was warrantee. Only problem, due to the recall he was out of the kits. Parts ordered, installed today, pressure tested all good. The mechanic took apart the right lower and found lots of coolant stuck in nooks and crannies. When I put the new clamp on in Dec, the level quit going down. I still had coolant dripping out on the right lower. Apparently when I'd hit a bump just right more would come out. The filler neck had a crack where the cap seals. Apparently not bad enough to leak, but a failure waiting to happen. So now all is well. He even programmed the passing lights to stay on with high beams and didn't charge me.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 AM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hard Ride
Oh No !!! The Fat Bottom Girl had to tinkle a little...LOL

FuzzyWuzHe sorry for the joke when you were worried about the cooling system. But couldn't help it with the name of your ride. My question would be how much coolant does it hold and will it hurt anything if you lost it all while riding?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

May have spoke too soon .. after today's ride, there were drops in the right lower. I don't think they took the lower apart to clean it out. I removed the pressure cap, FULL. The level on the reservoir has not dropped a micron. Sooooooo today I poured a bucket of warm water through the right lower. It runs right through so hopefully that got it. Can't imagine it's still leaking. It is a low volume system and I've wiped up about 3 tablespoons of coolant, which is about what I added when I first changed out the cap and clamp. I'm hoping I got the rest of it out with the water. If I did, the water will eventually evaporate and I can get on to riding and not worrying.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Hard Ride
FuzzyWuzHe sorry for the joke when you were worried about the cooling system. But couldn't help it with the name of your ride. My question would be how much coolant does it hold and will it hurt anything if you lost it all while riding?
No worries ... I took it in the sense you meant it. I find if I assume the best in people I get less frustrated. Plus, I'm a bit of a clown myself and love to joke around. I always hope people understand it's all in fun ... life is way to short to be grumpy all the time.

Fuzzy