Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Power Vision first Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:25 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Now a couple of questions for anyone who has used these for awhile, DK comes to mind, you seem to be using this to the max.
They have a thread here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...-by-admin.html which should have a bunch of useful information.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hard Ride
This may sound crazy but can you strap it behind the side cover. Or like you said about carrying it in your pocket. Get it tuned the way you want it and put it away until you do more upgrades to the engine. I think I read where The Wiz posted that there was no perfect tune. The only thing I want on my bar is a cup holder.
IMO no tune will be dead perfect, but if done right it can be damn good. Sometimes tuning is like picking a scab. One word of caution I would give to budding tuners, be ever so careful what you change. To much timing and pinging is your reward, make it ping hard enough and a cracked piston could be the end result. To little timing and burnt a exhaust valve will also be your reward. I've seen people get them selves into some pretty big trouble fiddling with the tune. Always save your factory tune or last known good tune, this way you can get back to square one if you get things to mucked up.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info ... I'm thinking I'll mount the pv ... at least until I feel good with the tune. I don't think I am comfortable to adjust "on the fly" for the reasons above. I'll do a couple of more "auto tune runs", and probably put it away.

Couple more questions have come to mind:

1. What is a good length of a ride to get data for auto tune ... like I did the first time? That to me that was common sense.

2. Is the tune affected by outside temp? IE. If I tune when it's 40 degrees out will that tune work as well in 90 degrees or should I do the auto tune thing in all possible riding conditions? I would think the ecm does the adjusting for temp. Same question about altitude. I live at 5000 feet, on bike I've dyno'd, I did the at the altitude I rode most ... at sea level you could see a slight difference in the bike.

3. How the heck do ya get the cord out of the back of the pv once it's in? I heard a click when I put it in so I assume the little, looks like a lock on the back needs to be pushed or pulled ... didn't want to muscle it to much least I break it.

Fuzzy

Last edited by FuzzyWuzHe; 02-14-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 AM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a techmount. This one specifically:

http://www.techmounts.com/products/i...&product_id=16

Old 01-21-2015, 03:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

2. Is the tune affected by outside temp? IE. If I tune when it's 40 degrees out will that tune work as well in 90 degrees or should I do the auto tune thing in all possible riding conditions? I would think the ecm does the adjusting for temp. Same question about altitude. I live at 5000 feet, on bike I've dyno'd, I did the at the altitude I rode most ... at sea level you could see a slight difference in the bike.
The biggest thing which could be impacted by cooler temps is timing adjustments. You might get more timing when its cooler out. When its 95 degrees you might develop pinging which wasn't present at 40 degrees. With that being said, I've always tried to tune when its warmer out, mid 70's and up.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Good to know ... definitely gonna do some more auto tuning when the temp gets up there.

Update:

I did the same 200 mile round trip ride today (Grand Junction to Green River and Back, Green River has a little dive that has fantastic burgers, but I digress)

On Monday 1/19, before the power vision, I averaged 26 mpg and as stated before lots of sucking noise and engine noise.

Today after the power vision with two rounds of basic auto tune (both about 40-50 miles varied in town and highway) under my belt, significantly less sucking noise ... a little on big hills, and way less engine noise. As for gas mileage, wait for it, I averaged 31 mpg.

On the rides for auto tune I got 32.5 .... the highest I'd ever gotten before this was 30, but the average was 28.5.

Okay, having said that, I'm guessing part of it is wearing in as I now have 950 miles on it ... but I'm guessing a lot of it due to tuning.

I'd love to have more experienced people chime in with their thoughts ... I can live with 30-35 ... not too happy about 26, and it's not economy ... it's range. We have lots of places around here where it's 100-120 miles between gas stations ... some even farther.

Fuzzy

Last edited by FuzzyWuzHe; 02-14-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:57 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Some good advice from M3 ! There is the link to the Vision tuner in Mike's post that has 678 pages to keep you entertained for an evening or three. LOL
There are many questions there that go off into left field sometimes but that might be just their own delema. Jamie Long is on there to ask questions to also. He is the Tech from Fuel Moto. He does understand the Vision tuner.
There are many helpful tuning threads around & most are worth the read. Just remember that most tuning all tries to attain the same goal, just different methods of doing it.
Never loose the basic idea of what you are looking to do, & don't try to over tune or try things that you aren't confident of.
Like Mike says about your tunes , always keep your old tunes that were good tunes so you can go back to square 1 or 2 & start fresh. If ya tune enough, it's gona happen. Put your original tune on a CD & keep a copy in a couple places on your computer also. NEVER loose it ! You should also keep the one on the Power Vision tuner in case you need it somewhere. Also get the PV tuning software on the computer so you can work with your tines & see what is going on. Whether you do anything to the tune yourself or not you can understand that is being changed & tell what is doing good & bad.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the new tune !

Last edited by sloufoot; 01-21-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:02 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

I'm pretty sure the extent of my "tuning" will be allowing auto tune to modify from what it's learned. If this trike runs this good when the temps get to 90-95, I'll be thrilled. Although, I will be installing a de-catted stock head pipe when I get a chance, so that will require starting all over. Right now the weather here is freaky ... 56 today, supposed to be even nicer next week ... I'm gonna ride it like I stole it until winter finds us again ... then I'll do the headpipe swap when I can't ride.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzHe; 02-14-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:43 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Good to know ... definitely gonna do some more auto tuning when the temp gets up there.

Update:

I did the same 200 mile round trip ride today (Grand Junction to Green River and Back, Green River has a little dive that has fantastic burgers, but I digress)

On Monday 1/19, before the power vision, I averaged 26 mpg and as stated before lots of sucking noise and engine noise.

Today after the power vision with two rounds of basic auto tune (both about 40-50 miles varied in town and highway) under my belt, significantly less sucking noise ... a little on big hills, and way less engine noise. As for gas mileage, wait for it, I averaged 31 mpg.

On the rides for auto tune I got 32.5 .... the highest I'd ever gotten before this was 30, but the average was 28.5.

Okay, having said that, I'm guessing part of it is wearing in as I now have 950 miles on it ... but I'm guessing a lot of it due to tuning.

I'd love to have more experienced people chime in with their thoughts ... I can live with 30-35 ... not too happy about 26, and it's not economy ... it's range. We have lots of places around here where it's 100-120 miles between gas stations ... some even farther.

Fuzzy
You will easily make 100 - 120 miles between gas stops. I've found besides tune, speed and load play a big part in fuel mileage. A 55 - 60 mph jaunt along a nice 2 lane in 5th gear will give some great mph. 75 - 80 mph bucking head winds out west will make you wish you had taken the car because it gets better mpg. The 2010 Triglide I had would return 35 - 38 mpg riding easy, start pulling a trailer and running 75 mph and the mpg would drop to 21 - 24 mpg. Running out west 75 - 80 mph bucking head winds without the trailer would also return 21 - 24 mpg.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Good to know ... If I do some of the rides that have more than 120 miles between gas, I plan to take a page out of DK's Alaskan trip and carry a gas can ... but I think I'll make sure it's full ... LOL ... I remember a couple of times he didn't have gas in it and was getting worried.

Quick Reply: Power Vision first Impressions