Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

polished front rotor for 2014 trike

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:41 AM
scuba1954
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default polished front rotor for 2014 trike

I'm getting ready to put ***** shiny wheels and their chrome spacers for the front on my trike. I'm looking for a part number for the HD factory polished rotors. When I go online the descriptions for all of the rotors act like they require specific wheels. I can find one but it only lists it for the left side. Any help would be appreciated. Looking for ideas for a polished rotor and I know you guys have done this.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:15 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

When I installed my chrome wheels I just had the rotors that were on there polished. Just do a search in your town for metal polishers.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

***** Shiny should be able to help you out with the rotors also...on the Road King I had done the Harley chrome forks and added limited wheels...call ***** Shiny and got my rotors from him...

Attached Thumbnails polished front rotor for 2014 trike-sdc10556.jpg  
Old 01-27-2015, 06:41 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Sorry for the bad picture but this was the front rotor I chose. It's a Spoke Rotor that you can get about anywhere for about 100 bucks... ebay has them too.

Caution: Do not use chrome bolts that come with these or any other chrome front rotors. Use the stock bolts. Chrome has a way of backing out according to a Harley PHD that I know... He was correct. After a few thousand miles and using blue locktite three of my bolts had backed out and were gone. Others were loose. Was the first time I had heard of such a thing but better to be save. I put the stock bolts back in and they stay tight.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Sorry for the bad picture but this was the front rotor I chose. It's a Spoke Rotor that you can get about anywhere for about 100 bucks... ebay has them too.

Caution: Do not use chrome bolts that come with these or any other chrome front rotors. Use the stock bolts. Chrome has a way of backing out according to a Harley PHD that I know... He was correct. After a few thousand miles and using blue locktite three of my bolts had backed out and were gone. Others were loose. Was the first time I had heard of such a thing but better to be save. I put the stock bolts back in and they stay tight.
I've used red locktite with good results. The performance machine rotors I had installed on a set of wheels came with chrome bolts and red locktite, never had an issue with them. I have 30,000 miles on a set of chrome bolted rotors with red locktite on my 06 Ultra with no issues to date.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Red loctite does have it's good uses & bad uses. Those that aren't familiar with red loctite should use caution especially on small bolts & screws.
Be dang sure you know what you are doing if you get your hands on green loctite !! Basically ,,,, don't even think about it !! LOL!!!
Just a thought in the empty canyons of my head..... I don't have just voices, they have echo's....

Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I know times have changed, but way back when I put polished rotors on my '92 Springer. Looked outstanding, but wouldn't stop worth a damn. Local dealer told me I needed Lydall break pads specifically made for polished rotors. Installed them and that did the trick. Do you still need special pads, or have the OEM changed??

Old 01-28-2015, 03:41 PM
scuba1954
Cruiser

I am assuming that you mean use NEW stock rotor bolts, not the chrome. The reason that I ask is that service manual says NOT to reuse the original bolts they are a one time use item.
How do you like your rear disc covers on your rims. Do they make your brakes run hot?

Old 01-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by scuba1954
I am assuming that you mean use NEW stock rotor bolts, not the chrome. The reason that I ask is that service manual says NOT to reuse the original bolts they are a one time use item.
How do you like your rear disc covers on your rims. Do they make your brakes run hot?
I've reused rotor bolts all the time with no issues... The new chrome one's just won't stay put.

You know... I got the disc covers from RJ @ no more fried thighs and they are pretty cool. I get people ask about them all the time. No, no brake heat issue... wind is cooling brakes as I ride as usual. Just a bit more to clean.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM
scuba1954
Cruiser

I've reused rotor bolts all the time with no issues... The new chrome one's just won't stay put.

You know... I got the disc covers from RJ @ no more fried thighs and they are pretty cool. I get people ask about them all the time. No, no brake heat issue... wind is cooling brakes as I ride as usual. Just a bit more to clean.

I know that Kleen Wheels make vented disc brake covers just to keep the brakes cooled. How are your brakes getting air flow without vents? Also would you buy them again?

Quick Reply: polished front rotor for 2014 trike