Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

pick up charges

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:29 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts
Default pick up charges

Was talking to my dealer yesterday and asked if they did pickup and delivery if I had work done that would take some time to do. My wife is working long hours and I would have no one to either pick me up or take me to the dealer until May.

Dealer said yes they do have the service and it is free for the first 25 miles. It just so happens I am 33 miles from them. Charge each way for me would be $75. Heck at that cost I can't afford for them to do any work and have them pick up the bike.
If I could walk 8 miles they could pick it up and deliver it for free.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default need a friend inside 25

All you need is to have a friend that lives inside the 25 for them to pick it up at their place short ride for you. Take your fiends out for lunch drop you back off at home no problem. that is if would work that way. ride safe fearless

Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
All you need is to have a friend that lives inside the 25 for them to pick it up at their place short ride for you. Take your fiends out for lunch drop you back off at home no problem. that is if would work that way. ride safe fearless

That is a nice idea but I don't know anyone that lives inside the 25 mile area of the dealer. Everyone I know is like me and just outside that number. Thanks for the thought though.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Use your HOG membership if you have one.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Taxi won't cost that much...drive inside the area and take a cab home

Old 02-06-2015, 05:11 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Yea

Take it in. have your sleeping bag with you. Tell them your going to sleep in show room unless you can get a ride or a free pick-up?

Let us know
Hap

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Why would you expect them provide a service like that without compensation?
Maybe when they charge you to pick it up, you could get the shop to work on it for free....Yeah, that's the ticket!

Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer offers it for free within the valley, about 20 square miles ... after that it's $75 for pickup and return ... I'm thinking that's pretty standard ... I work in Swimming Pool sales and service and I never realized how valuable my time was until I started doing on site service ... at first I would not charge to go out if it was something simple ... like not having the on/off switch on the heater in the on position .. but after about a year I realized how much time I was giving away ... now weather I charge for a quickie is on a case by case basis, depending on the customer and how many of the quickies I've given to them. the Good news ... the owner of the HD shop in town is a pool customer of mine so he's pretty good about giving me a break on hd labor ... but he expects it on his pool too ... LOL ... I get more hd labor done than he gets pool work done, but I'm pretty sure he gets even with me buying bikes.

Fuzzy

Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Kcdcltd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost to employees wages, insurance, wear on trailer and tow vehicle plus fuel. Adds up....

Old 02-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcdcltd
Cost to employees wages, insurance, wear on trailer and tow vehicle plus fuel. Adds up....

My neighbor was doing a project not too long ago and asked me to pick up a load of trusses for him with my truck.
I told him it would be $500 to go get it (about 100 miles each way) and he started cryin' about how "We're supposed to be friends" and how I "wasn't being cool".

I told him, " I run a business! and if you were anyone else, this load would cost you about $1,200 or more".

I then asked, "If I have an accident or a flat tire, or a breakdown while I'm hauling your load for nothing, are you gonna help me pay for the repair or whatever costs I incur while doing you a favor?"

He just looked at me like I was being a dick....

Same thing here, If that service vehicle has a problem or if the driver gets hurt loading your bike on the trailer or damages your bike while doing you a favor, are you gonna step up and help pay the expenses involved?

Of course not!

They are incurring a certain amount of risk and expense every time that truck leaves the dealership.
They have decided to put limits on the risk and expense that they are willing to absorb on your behalf by limiting the exposure to a certain number of miles radius from the dealer.
You don't fall within that radius and if they make an exception for you, they will have to make an exception for everyone...Won't they?

They're running a business, they're not your pals.

Quick Reply: pick up charges