Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Need front tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but just can not under stand spending $35,000 for a toy then trying to save a few bucks on a tire that could be dangerous , do not understand why you would put a tire on backwards that has a tread pattern designed to go one direction , could be bad in wet weather I would think or a out for your insurance company if anything did happen , just call me money bags I guess

Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
Sorry but just can not under stand spending $35,000 for a toy then trying to save a few bucks on a tire that could be dangerous
I can't understand why HD would use a tire from a motorcycle that is designed to lean and then use that same tire on the front end of a trike that does not lean into corners. Front tires are duel compound with gripper edges and a center for long lasting. I had a Ducati and a front would last 5k and I expected it but the front on the trike lasted less than 5k, go figure!

do not understand why you would put a tire on backwards that has a tread pattern designed to go one direction
The rear tire has a tread pattern designed to grip the ground under acceleration so by reversing the tire it uses that capability to grip better under braking and it is better at braking than the oem because the tire has a bigger footprint and as it wears and gets flatter the footprint will get bigger.

could be bad in wet weather I would think
I would think it would be better in wet weather as it has a bigger footprint.

or a out for your insurance company if anything did happen
Only if the insurance company could prove the wheel caused an accident or contributed to any damage caused.

just call me money bags I guess
For me it is not about money it is all about fitting a tire with a bigger footprint and I think it performs better if I do an emergency stop where the oem would lock up this one does not.

Just because HD have decided to transplant the whole front end from a two wheel bike and fit it to a three wheel trike does not mean it cannot be improved upon.
They have got so much wrong with their products that it has created a whole industry for themselves and others so you and I can make it better but we shouldn't have to.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 PM
EC145Pilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cobra Trike Tire

Don't have first hand experience, but the Honda guys rave about it.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cru...om/cobra-trike

Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 PM
WestRoadHarley
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Avon Trike front tire

I put the new Avon Trike front tire on in mid-January when I had 13,500 miles. It rides well, does its job on wet road panic stops and is not showing any real wear now that I'm at 17,500, I'm pretty happy with a tire designed for trikes. I am not a back tire on the front backwards kind of guy.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:00 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by EC145Pilot
Don't have first hand experience, but the Honda guys rave about it.

http://www.avonmoto.com/products/cru...om/cobra-trike
I just installed one of these tires on my Tri. So far I'm impressed with it. I only have about 1200 miles on it so far, but it looks like it is going to be a great tire. Handles great. Lots more rubber on the tire & designed for heavy duty use.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:17 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
I just installed one of these tires on my Tri. So far I'm impressed with it. I only have about 1200 miles on it so far, but it looks like it is going to be a great tire. Handles great. Lots more rubber on the tire & designed for heavy duty use.
I agree. I have about 1500 on mine and it still looks brand new. I like the handling and braking with the Avon.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 AM
captbob
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot

This Avon trike specific tire sounds really good. Did you have it mounted conventionally or reversed?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 on the AV-71 Avon Trike tire. I did get 17K on my stock Dunlop. I'm at 24K now and have bunch of tread left, but will be going Avon when the time comes.
Rears look like new still. LOL, I would have been looking at my 4th or 5th rear on my SE Road King by this point.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:21 PM
sarge205
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front tire

I got a bit over 16,000 on the 1st front tire of my 14 tri glide. used a OEM replacement and I am at about 20,000 right now. its ready for replacement and I plan on using another OEM

Old 04-23-2016, 01:33 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by captbob
This Avon trike specific tire sounds really good. Did you have it mounted conventionally or reversed?
It is on in the correct rotation. It was designed with more rubber in the stock size for the trikes.
It has a different radius for the shape of the tread.

Quick Reply: Need front tire