Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Another tuner question

Old 02-25-2015, 02:16 AM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another tuner question

If i run sert tuner do i need to get it dynoed?or is it like the tmax that i had in the past where it will auto tune it self?thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 06:27 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Power Vision ... it auto tunes ... did wonders for my TG

Old 02-25-2015, 06:41 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Excuse me guys...

They don't make a SERT anymore. You maybe talking about a SEPro tuner? Could be talking about a TTS who made the SERT before 2008?

In any case you may need to know... There is no such thing as auto-tune. There is no device that you can put on a Harley and it will just make the bike run to its peek performance by itself. That would be called Auto-Tune.

There must be some interaction between the bike, tuning device and a computer. You must also know a little something about how to use the software and tuning device. What some are calling Auto-Tune is a device and/or a marketing ploy but absolutely not a verb.

The good news is that most tuning devices have come a long way in simplifying the device and software to adjust your ECM tables in as close to an automatic way as possible. Unfortunately, no device is at the "Auto-Tune" ability at this time.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser

I guess my question is I want to put a tuner on but do you need to have it dynode?preferably thunder max or a screaming Eagle pro I've had some dealerships tell me yes they need to be dynoed and some dealership no set it and forget it.just want to put on a/c and v&h head pipe with mufflers thats all

Old 02-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by Diamond lil 2010
I guess my question is I want to put a tuner on but do you need to have it dynode?preferably thunder max or a screaming Eagle pro I've had some dealerships tell me yes they need to be dynoed and some dealership no set it and forget it.just want to put on a/c and v&h head pipe with mufflers thats all
That's a great question. The answer is...

No, you do not need to put your bike on a dyno but if you do not you will need to street tune your bike. You need to tune a stock bike. Adding or changing anything on your bike is just salting the wound.

It's easier to let someone else dyno the bike if you don't have time or want to learn how to tune yourself. It is also best to find a great dyno operator in your area and let them chose which tuner "they" like. Why? Normally a dyno operator is more experienced with one or two types of tuning devices... so to get the best tune out of that dyno operator let him chose the tuning device.

If cost is no issue, let a dyno operator take care of your bike.

If cost is an issue then purchase a tuning device and learn how to use it. Do your research. You are going to run into a wall of marketing propaganda. Chose wisely. I can tell you what I prefer but you don't want to listen to "Bubba" on a website telling you what product you should use.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser

Mr Wizard what do you prefer I am interested in what you have to say I know you have a knowledge in this field.in the past I've always ran thunder Max I'm not going to do nothing special to this Triglide I just want a good tutor thank you for your input..

Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by Diamond lil 2010
Mr Wizard what do you prefer I am interested in what you have to say I know you have a knowledge in this field.in the past I've always ran thunder Max I'm not going to do nothing special to this Triglide I just want a good tutor thank you for your input..
I use the TTS system.

You can go to http://www.mastertune.net/downloads.htm

... and download all the easy to read manuals. You can download the updater and install all of the TTS software and read the help files. You can also open and review a library calibration so you can view what you read.

The VTune 3 software utilizing a MT9 calibration will not only adjust your VE tables but your EGR, Warm timing and Timing tables in standard mode. If you use advanced mode you view the changes before you generate a new VTune calibration to continue tuning with.

No ride along computer needed. Set the TTS in flight mode and ride for hours and hours collecting data if you want or just ride your bike for a few minutes. It's all up to you.

The VTune 3 program will tell you when you are done. Take the final VTune calibration and reset it per the instructions. Smooth the tables and flash your bike... enjoy, you're done.

That's what I do and what I use.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I use the TTS system.

You can go to http://www.mastertune.net/downloads.htm

... and download all the easy to read manuals. You can download the updater and install all of the TTS software and read the help files. You can also open and review a library calibration so you can view what you read.

The VTune 3 software utilizing a MT9 calibration will not only adjust your VE tables but your EGR, Warm timing and Timing tables in standard mode. If you use advanced mode you view the changes before you generate a new VTune calibration to continue tuning with.

No ride along computer needed. Set the TTS in flight mode and ride for hours and hours collecting data if you want or just ride your bike for a few minutes. It's all up to you.

The VTune 3 program will tell you when you are done. Take the final VTune calibration and reset it per the instructions. Smooth the tables and flash your bike... enjoy, you're done.

That's what I do and what I use.

Mr. Wizard just gave away his secret. My question would be is the VTune 3 new to the Blue TTS? I ask because of your statement "No ride alone computer needed". At one time you had to have one. yes?, Thanks

Old 02-25-2015, 04:06 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default V tune

No ride along just a before and after plug in.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:38 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

VTIII was released to the public about 3 weeks ago . Took about two years to develop. Only 2010 and new Touring calibrations are available at this moment. (MT9)

VTIII will work with the black dongle as well but you must use the MT9 calibrations.

Ted... what's your next step?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another tuner question