Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jacking instructions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:15 PM
drgibson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have one of the J&S trike lifts? This looks incredible. My biggest concern is how stable is the trike on the stand but the guy even gets on the trike while it's on the jack in their video. Still, if you were tightening down a bolt, couldn't it fall off (and on you)? Check out their video:

http://www.jsjacks.com/trike-lift/trike-lift/

Why couldn't you lift the trike with this and then lower it down on some really hefty jack stands to keep the rear level. It seems to me that with the average scissors frame jack costing $300, another $200 would be worth it to lift it up quickly just to be able to clean it without crawling around on your knees.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Teh4pwr
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tri Glide service suplement

Originally Posted by sullyj020
Sloufoot, sounds good, Thanks for posting info.
I received my copy of the TG servise suplement today. it clearly shows the rear suspension parts and jacking points. I strongly suggest it to all gear heads.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teh4pwr
I received my copy of the TG servise suplement today. it clearly shows the rear suspension parts and jacking points. I strongly suggest it to all gear heads.
Ditto .... I always "negotiate" shop manuals with a bike purchase .. in the case of the trike it included the supplement ... even if you are just installing accessories, lots of times the instructions say, "remove part x as per the service manual" ... kind of hard to do if you don't have one.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:50 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drgibson
Does anyone have one of the J&S trike lifts? This looks incredible. My biggest concern is how stable is the trike on the stand but the guy even gets on the trike while it's on the jack in their video. Still, if you were tightening down a bolt, couldn't it fall off (and on you)? Check out their video:

http://www.jsjacks.com/trike-lift/trike-lift/

Why couldn't you lift the trike with this and then lower it down on some really hefty jack stands to keep the rear level. It seems to me that with the average scissors frame jack costing $300, another $200 would be worth it to lift it up quickly just to be able to clean it without crawling around on your knees.
Yep, just got it a couple days ago. Unpacked it, bolted the handle and foot peddle on and wheeled over to the trike and took her up. I messed around with other ways to jack the trike up for a couple years and finally decided screw it, I am going to get something strong, safe and a high enough lift to make it easier to work on. This thing IS well built and works like a charm!! The only thing I had to do was rotate the clamp on the crossover pipe for the left lift arm to clear. (Took about 2 minutes) Wish I would have bought one sooner.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have jacked mine up several times with a floor jack and a 2x4 spanning under the mufflers., hasn't hurt a damn thing ! These trikes are built tougher than you guys think they are . Ebert

Old 03-21-2015, 01:43 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by coronetracer65
I have jacked mine up several times with a floor jack and a 2x4 spanning under the mufflers., hasn't hurt a damn thing ! These trikes are built tougher than you guys think they are . Ebert
Let me know how well that works out for you when it breaks one of the rear exhaust studs in the head from putting stress on the head pipe.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Too solidly mounted for that , don't see it happening! I am also jacking under bolts where mounting to frame in the rear. Ebert

Old 03-24-2015, 07:30 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
Yep, just got it a couple days ago. Unpacked it, bolted the handle and foot peddle on and wheeled over to the trike and took her up. I messed around with other ways to jack the trike up for a couple years and finally decided screw it, I am going to get something strong, safe and a high enough lift to make it easier to work on. This thing IS well built and works like a charm!! The only thing I had to do was rotate the clamp on the crossover pipe for the left lift arm to clear. (Took about 2 minutes) Wish I would have bought one sooner.
wish they would make a kit to change a 2 wheeler jack to a trike jack , they sell a kit to go the other way , I have the J&S 2 wheel jack , I contacted them and was told they did not sell the trike kit