Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Jacking instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Teh4pwr
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jacking instructions

The owners manual is a bit vauge on jacking up each rear wheel.... has anybody taken pics of jacking their TG?

Also, does anybody have suspension pics? I have pics of Roadsmith's HDTR independent suspension....

Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Fix my hog did a video on jacking the triglide

Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

grab with right hand or left if you prefer and start pulling repeatedly. you'll know when you get it right.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Teh4pwr
Novice

Thanks Frank. That's what I was looking for.

http://www.fixmyhog.com/video/under-...-trike-007612/

Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM
drgibson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the Fix My Hog video is great, it doesn't showing the jacking process. It does show exactly where to put the jackstands however. The video on adjusting the parking brake does show them using a scissors type under the frame and I know that they recommend Hardy Jacks and lifts.
What I want to know is can you use a floor jack on the guard around the diff and belt assembly? The HD parts guy here says yes but others that are very knowledgeable say no. Other opinions??

Old 03-01-2015, 06:41 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well that's all fine and dandy, but it didn't answer the question.

How do you Jack up the TriGlide ??

Old 03-01-2015, 06:51 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no pics sorry but I have a little $20 floor jack I use on the rear of mine and I jack up one side at a time I put my floor jack under the loops on the frame bars right under the rear end , jack it up , put my short jack stand under it , just inside my floor jack , the repeat on other side, have done it a few times this way and find it less tippy than jacking in the middle , and the book I read said do not jack on that center belt guard

Old 03-01-2015, 10:32 PM
tmigala
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drgibson
While the Fix My Hog video is great, it doesn't showing the jacking process. It does show exactly where to put the jackstands however. The video on adjusting the parking brake does show them using a scissors type under the frame and I know that they recommend Hardy Jacks and lifts.
What I want to know is can you use a floor jack on the guard around the diff and belt assembly? The HD parts guy here says yes but others that are very knowledgeable say no. Other opinions??
I would not suggest at all using the diff. that piece is casted big expense if you break it.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:13 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

The owners manual is very explicit on the places you can put the jack on the rear.
DO NOT jack on the housing or the guard.
Place the jacks under the bearing area out next to the wheel. There is a flat area there on both sides. Only jack in those areas on the rear end. Also put a block of wood between the jack & the metal area you are jacking on. The area also has a chain link welded on the housing in the rear. This is for tie down during transport.
Some have made a 2x4 or 4x4 platform to go up between the mufflers & across the trunk area just forward of the rear of the body under the trunk. This then sits on a floor jack.
I don't like that because : #1 It can tip easily, #2 It doesn't jack against the frame other than a small metal strip across the area. #3 You could easily damage the body from something putting pressure on an edge.
The better way is to jack on the frame at the end of the main frame at the pivot of the swing arm with a scissor jack or use a motorcycle jack to lift the whole trike.
If you use anything to lift both rear wheels at one time also tie down the front wheel to the floor for safety, & it will hold the front down & from rolling or sliding around while you lift the rear. I also use a velcro strap around the front brake lever.

Last edited by sloufoot; 03-01-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:55 AM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sloufoot, sounds good, Thanks for posting info.

The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (07-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Jacking instructions