Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Sometime engine tapping noise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1st 96 ultra
to me the hard part of riding it till it breaks is you never know when and it is hard to enjoy a ride like that . did you do any exhaust work ? the heat shields are very well noted for making noise like that , and echoes up and sounds like a motor or tappet noise , keep us posted
Good call ... I did have a loose heat shield awhile back .. did sound like a lifter ... getting old forgot all about that

Old 03-01-2015, 01:08 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

to me the hard part of riding it till it breaks is you never know when and it is hard to enjoy a ride like that .
I couldn't agree with you more. One of the reasons I ditched my 2010 Triglide was some of the strange happenings. I didn't care to have it crap out on me 1,400 miles from home, like what happened to my dad with his 09 Triglide. We were about 1,400 miles from home when his starter button failed which caused the starter to stay engaged, got the pleasure of hanging around for 3 days for the dealer to open and fix it. He then had to pay them to remove the part from a new bike because they didn't have it in stock. Screwed the trip to Yellowstone, managed to salvage it and run into the Black hills and ride some nice roads again.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

to me the hard part of riding it till it breaks is you never know when and it is hard to enjoy a ride like that . posted

Two ways around that, never ride it, don't go farther than walking distance from home. If all Harleys are built with 'junk' parts, probably shouldn't buy a Harley, or replace the running gear with S&S or another aftermarket company. It is a shame that some Harley's have problems. I had a flat tire in Montana, not much you can do but fix it. They were the cheap tires Harley puts on their trikes, should have changed all the tires before I rode it more than a mile from home.

Sure would be a shame if he replaced his lifters and that wasn't the problem. Not riding it wouldn't help find the problem.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:04 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Two ways around that, never ride it, don't go farther than walking distance from home. If all Harleys are built with 'junk' parts, probably shouldn't buy a Harley, or replace the running gear with S&S or another aftermarket company. It is a shame that some Harley's have problems. I had a flat tire in Montana, not much you can do but fix it. They were the cheap tires Harley puts on their trikes, should have changed all the tires before I rode it more than a mile from home.

Sure would be a shame if he replaced his lifters and that wasn't the problem. Not riding it wouldn't help find the problem.
I think you missed my point , I don't worry about things breaking down , you know the old saying , if it has wheels or boo,,,s it will give you trouble , I just don't like taking off when you know there is a problem and just can't find it , sort of like taking off on a trip with a bald tire and half a tank of gas and hope you make it

Old 03-02-2015, 01:04 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you missed my point , I don't worry about things breaking down , you know the old saying , if it has wheels or boo,,,s it will give you trouble , I just don't like taking off when you know there is a problem and just can't find it , sort of like taking off on a trip with a bald tire and half a tank of gas and hope you make it

I didn't miss your point, others suggest because he has a sound he should replace his lifters because it is well known that they are made in Mexico and are junk or something like that. He said he gets a ticking sound that goes away. Until the noise stays he will continue to get the same answer at Harley. I probably shouldn't have spouted off, I just get kind of cranky listening to people on these boards that constantly remind me what a piece of crap I have been riding for 50 years.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:58 AM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree and recognize your point Screwball ! Ebert

Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

\ I just get kind of cranky listening to people on these boards that constantly remind me what a piece of crap I have been riding for 50 years.
Been riding Harleys for 45 years ... never been stranded or needed a tow ... knocking head vigorously ... altogether maybe 5 years on others ... can say the same about them too ... Lucky ... or Blessed

Old 03-02-2015, 04:32 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't miss your point, others suggest because he has a sound he should replace his lifters because it is well known that they are made in Mexico and are junk or something like that. He said he gets a ticking sound that goes away. Until the noise stays he will continue to get the same answer at Harley. I probably shouldn't have spouted off, I just get kind of cranky listening to people on these boards that constantly remind me what a piece of crap I have been riding for 50 years.
must be enjoying them though , I tend to quit buying a product I am not happy with , love mine and was stranded with my 07 Ultra once , and was stranded with a new Chevrolet with 2000 miles on it , even a horse would break a leg some times , but back to the post, keep us posted on what you find out

Old 03-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Just remember it's a Harley ya gotta lov em nuff said!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM
redeye0043
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return of the knocking

First time at the Forum writing and you guys taking the time and interest really is uplifting. THANKS. I took the bike back to the shop because a sales person was adamant that I should be getting 42 mpg, I average 33-36mpg. When I was called by a parts guy asking how is my service and am I happy, I told him again this dilemma told to all the others and he said bring it in and some one with permission would drive it for couple days check the mileage and listen for dry knocking. Why not right. I even recorded the noise and their master mechanic could not decide if there was a problem, (should get a before recording running well). NO one wants turn a wrench or tear into the motor on a hunch just yet. Is there any thing that pumps up the oil on that side that could be slow weak or partially clogged, how do lifters work ?

Quick Reply: Sometime engine tapping noise.