Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Looking for 2015 Freewheeler Rider Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Deborah Murdoch Wiebe
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 2015 Freewheeler Rider Feedback

Looking for actual rider feedback for the 2015 Freewheeler ..
ANY rider feedback would be appreciated moving from my Heritage to the freewheeler ..can only find magazine reviews . All really just say the same and are more marketing material vs actual riding experience.

Greatly appreciate any rider experiences pros cons what do you think of the ride.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-28-2015, 12:06 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Just over 3,000 miles on my Freewheeler and I love it. Traded in my '09 Tri-Glide, bought the first delivered to the dealer. I'm kind of a no frills guy, really didn't like all the 'gizmos' on the Tri, or the Ultra I had before it. Kind of like riding a 3 wheeled Dyna Wide Glide. I would much rather be on 2 wheels, but old age made that impossible. The Free rides better than the Tri, but not nearly as well as a 2 wheeler. You no longer 'lean' steer, now you 'muscle' steer. I guess with the trunk you can carry all sort of STUFF... if you are so inclined. I don't. We are off on a 1,000 mile ride through Arizona and Nevada in March, but I don't see any problems. Wife and I do a couple of hundred miles a weekend, you know "Live to Ride, Ride to Eat"

Oh, my wife also rides a trike. A nasty case of Cancer left her with numb legs so she was very unsure riding her Deluxe. She is on a '14 Tri-Glide. She likes all the bells and whistles.

https://www.youtube.com/user/screwballsteve/videos

A bunch of our trips on the trikes. Good Luck, and happy riding.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:25 AM
Deborah Murdoch Wiebe
Stage IV

Screwball .. when you say muscle with steering .. the reason I am leaving my heritage is I am having shoulder issues .. and with age and size .. I was hoping the freewheeler would help that problem .. feeling silly asking as I can see the gain due to lower body issues as you mentioned with your wife .. glad she has overcome the big c .. amen to that but now I'm a little worried cause my issue is loosing upper body stenth and the triglide steering was to wide for my arms to not be stretched to the limit .. I am 5'2 and would have needed reduced everything switch .. seat and bars so decided against it last year and thus why the freewheeler seemed a better fit .. do you think I'll have an issue ..

Thanks

Deb

Old 02-28-2015, 08:35 AM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ride

I have a Tri but I did a nice test ride on the Free. If you are coming off of a Heritage then the Free will be more normal for you. The Steering is not that hard when screwball was saying muscle steering he meant turning the bars vs leaning. May I suggest that you find a Harley Dealer that is willing to let you do a decent demo ride. I think you will be presently surprised. Good Luck

Old 02-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Deborah Murdoch Wiebe
Stage IV

Thank you . I live in Canada so a test ride won't happen till spring and they are hard to source here now .. thanks for the clarification.
I have been riding since the late 80's and not ready to give it up ..due to a bum shoulder !
The Triglide was way too big for all 5'2 of me lol but I did like it and am excited they came out with the Freewheeler because I was disappointed the glide didn't work out for me last year ..

Thanks you guys are awesome ..

Originally Posted by tmigala
I have a Tri but I did a nice test ride on the Free. If you are coming off of a Heritage then the Free will be more normal for you. The Steering is not that hard when screwball was saying muscle steering he meant turning the bars vs leaning. May I suggest that you find a Harley Dealer that is willing to let you do a decent demo ride. I think you will be presently surprised. Good Luck

Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

I don't ride a free ... but I'm new to the tri .. It's a learning curve going to three ... but I agree with the poster that said you steer not muscle ... at first I felt like I was getting an upper body workout ... but as you get used to it, it seems to get easier ... hope I explained that right ... I did test ride both the tri and free ... the free is like a sports car compared to the trip ... much more nimble in MHO

Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Maybe saying muscle steering was a bit harsh. I've owned '09 and '11 Tri-Glides, now a Freewheeler. Wife rode the '09 before I inherited it, the '11 and now a '14. She agreed the Freewheeler is easier to ride / steer than the Tri-Glides, probably because it is lighter, shorter, and lower. We both came off many many years of 2 wheeler Harleys. The Trikes are harder to steer, no 2 ways about it. HOW much harder is a personal matter. I triked right after open heart surgery. My chest and ribs are wired shut so just about any upper body exertion hurts, but not riding after 50 years would hurt (psychologically) a lot more. Ditto wife. After her Cancer dance, it was Trike or rocking chair.

My advice is like some of the others, find a dealer with a Trike you can test ride. If you can handle the Tri, you can easily do the Free. It is all about how much enjoyment you get from riding.

Good Luck and enjoy!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by screwball
It is all about how much enjoyment you get from riding.
Well put

Old 02-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser

I agree with screwball.i think you have to man Handle the steering.its kinda like push me pull me.im not diggin it

Old 03-02-2015, 11:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I got a Freewheeler last fall. Since I got it to replace my Ural as the winter bike I have 6.400 miles on it. Going from a side car rig to a trike was easy. The trike is far easier than a sidecar rig. It does not require the turning force that a sidecar rig does. Add a little throttle in a right hand corner or light trail braking in a left hand corner will assist turning and lean a little into it will make it a very good ride.

The Freewheeler has a lower center of gravity than the Triglide and can be run aggressively in corners. The TCl03HO has a lot of grunt. I must qualify that running an air cooled motor in sub 30 degree weather is like feeding it nitrous oxide constantly. So I expect it to be a little less strong in the summer.

It tracks well, corners well and is a general hoot to ride. Loved pulling up to a traffic light and just sitting there. I hope that I don't forget to put my feet down when I switch back to two wheels soon.

I have gotten it to 40 mpg which I understand is exceptional for a trike. Stock all around with only iridium plugs and SE plug wires and 87 octane E10. At some other opportunity I will discuss why an over square mid compression air cooled engine with EPA compliant AFR, E10 87 octane and iridium plugs will yield a cooler stronger running engine with better mpg.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-02-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for 2015 Freewheeler Rider Feedback