Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trunk latch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM
JimRicker
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trunk latch

It seems every time I use the trunk I really have to slam it hard to shut. Most times I have to play with the lock as it does not seem to pop out. Has anyone else experienced this??

Is there a way to adjust it??

thanks

Jim

Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, I had the same problem on my 2012 Tri. I sprayed a little SiliKroil in the keyhole and now, it seems to pop out every time. I'm sure that over time, I will need to do this again. I might suggest that you don't use anything that is greasey, because I think grease would capture and hold dust and dirt, which would make it worse. As for slamming the cover, my dealer said that in order for the gasket to maintain a watertight seal, the cover had to fit tightly.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Do what cochon said. I used to have the darned thing pop open on bumps once in a while, that helped a lot.

I saw on another thread to do this; shut the door almost completely, and then shut it with a bump. If you slam it, you pressurize the trunk and it tries to pop back open, and the latch can't fully seat, apparently! I tried it, could hear a hissss from air getting out slowly somewhere. Like a big bass drum, I've hear of folks drilling a hole in it somewhere where water won't get in to let the air out. Or just shut it normally and then give it a bump with the heel of your hand to let the latch do it's thing after the air gets out.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:06 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

When closing the trunk, I don't slam it. Close it and place your hands on the upper corners and push. You should hear it click shut...works for me anyway...

Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM
DCaliendo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here on my 2015 TriGlide. I've had people following me on at least 3 occasions beep their horns to tell me that the truck had popped open. I'll have to try the spray and also closing it almost all of the way, then bump it closed.

Thanks guys ....

Old 03-13-2015, 02:58 PM
sullyj020
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You can adjust the ball catch in and out with the nut on the inside. Also it needs to be locked.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

After I close the trunk lid, I always pull on the handle to make sure that the latch is properly seated.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The day I rode my 2015 home, a guy honked at me and told me my trunk was open ... three days later it was at the dealer for add ons, and I told the tech about it ... he took the latch apart, lubed it and adjusted it ... works great now ... no fancy closing procedure ... I do always lock it though, I keep tools in there.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:21 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyj020
You can adjust the ball catch in and out with the nut on the inside. Also it needs to be locked.
X2 I have adjusted my latch at least 2 times in 20K. Once to tighten so the seal would keep water out. and a second adjustment just a tad looser so the wife could close
Also when closing best to just push it in with even pressure to latch, slamming does not work as work as the there is no air damper to allow air to escape fast enough for slam.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 PM
coronetracer65
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Please guys do not slam the trunk door , it is a fragile lock and prone to breaking . Ask me how I know ! LOL . The proper way of closing was already mentioned , shut easily and push on door and listen for the latch to click , and yes it is a pain but I always lock mine ! Ebert

Quick Reply: Trunk latch