Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Wheelchair Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:16 PM
RiverB
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheelchair Mounts

Please show me how you carry your wheelchair on your Tri Glide. Granted, I haven't searched extensively, but I haven't come across any after-market "stock" mounting kits. Yet I've heard tell of plenty of folks carrying chairs for themselves or their throne-mounted partner on Tri Glides.

Our wheelchair (it's not for me, personally) is compact when folded (pusher handles fold down - a God-send), and weighs only 19 pounds. So the only real challenges are not blocking the license plate display and being minimally invasive to the coachwork.

I'd greatly appreciate hearing of and seeing any and everything you've come up with, or know of that's available in kit form.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Most I have seen and mounted on a platform that's mounted to a trailer hitch. I do have a good friend that made or had made a mount for him ( double ampute) that allows the chair to be mounted on the right fender of his Goldwing trike. Very slick. He goes by Wheels and is on several forums. GL1800riders.com is one.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I looked into this a few years ago for our bike. Found a couple that went on a trailer hitch. Did not like them because they did move around not very solid plus if it rained had to put my wife on a wet chair. For us it worked out better with a trailer. Looked for the web sites and I can't find them now if I come across them will post.
My wife has MS and needs the chair when ever she is off the trike. Trailer made it possible for her to keep riding. May not be the solution for every one but worked out good for us.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 PM
RiverB
Tourer

Thank you both. My wife does not have MS, but for all intents and purposes might as well. Same ****, different day.

I saw a video somewhere of a guy who was paraplegic, able to reach around, dismount the chair, and get in it all on his lonesome. That was an impressive rig. Haven't been able to find it since.

My requirements are less. I can schlep the chair off, around, and back on as necessary.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverB
Thank you both. My wife does not have MS, but for all intents and purposes might as well. Same ****, different day.

I saw a video somewhere of a guy who was paraplegic, able to reach around, dismount the chair, and get in it all on his lonesome. That was an impressive rig. Haven't been able to find it since.

My requirements are less. I can schlep the chair off, around, and back on as necessary.
I think I saw the same video. The guy had a FLHXXX Harley I think. They don't have the tour pac over the trunk, & he had the chair laying flat on top of the trunk in a holder.
It seems he rode solo & had just a backrest for himself also.
If you have a rear bumper you might come up with a mount off the tube in the rear without the trailer hitch. But make it so it can fold down to access the trunk.
Have you searched the web for enabled motorcycle riders ?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 PM
RiverB
Tourer

Thanks. If/when it stops snowing tomorrow (or the next day), I'll take the wheelchair out and take some measurements of it vis a vis the 'Glide. We'll come up with something. Was hoping this had all been thought out before. Which maybe it has, but transporting people with disabilities, while all too common, is just rare enough that too many people just give up and stay home.

Screw that.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:27 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Here is a link to be able to talk with "Wheels" he has a post here:
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threa...ght=wheelchair

Old 03-19-2015, 12:32 AM
RiverB
Tourer

Great lead, thanks.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a link to a website for modifications for the disabled/ differently abled triker. I will try to find it. Im not there yet but I could easily see having to do this for myself in a few years. Good luck, God bless. Cool your wife can still ride with you.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Found it!! Check out this page. It rocks.

pretty much anything the disabled/ differently abled dude or dudeess who is just trying to stay in the wind needs to know. Good luck. There are links to all kinds of modifications . websites etc. Really good information.

http://www.mtb-amputee.com/motorcycleamputee.htm

Quick Reply: Wheelchair Mounts