Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Too Young to Tri?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI before you take that ride, have the dealer check the air in the rear shocks, and the tires. Many have to play around with the pressures to get that great ride for the passenger. That can make a better ride for her. And I'm older, female who used to ride across the country with some friends all on two wheels way back in the 90's. I had not seen them in many years. As soon as I pulled up on my TG, they laughed at me. And all I heard was, "if i had to buy a trike, I would make sure it was a Honda not a Harley", this came from a guy who has rode HD's for over 30 years. Quess what, I haven't seen them since.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome from a SE GA convert!

After being on two wheels for 48 years I went the TG route last year at 54. Had a '10 Ultra Classic that I had finally got setup exactly the way I wanted but when my left knee gave way and I almost dropped it with the wife on back, I knew it was time for a change.

Looked at and rode every trike made, even the Spyder but kept going back to the TG. Finally bit the bullet and took delivery of one. After getting over the initial "boy this thing handles WAY different then two wheels" moments, I have never looked back.

Did all my mods to get her accommodated as I had the UC and after the first long trip (1000 miles over 5 days) was glad I made the purchase. Much more comfortable than my UC for both of us and I think a nicer ride also.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 AM
dafoot2
Advanced

[QUOTE=RHD;13842758]Folks,
New to forum posting but long time reader. My wife and I have decided now that the kid is in college that we want to explore local hops more, 300 miles max for now, West Coast, NV, AZ. Our plan was to originally to get a Street Glide and her something a bit more manageable, and for longer rides be 2-up. I am seeing and sensing hesitation in her and I don't want this to become something she is scared about. I am new to "Street" but been around dirt early part of my life so I too have a long way to go before I am comfortable with a passenger on a big touring bike. The way you all talk about your experiences and low road stress levels makes the Tri seem like a great idea for us to start? Then, maybe once she is comfortable have her ride the Tri and me finally get that bike I always wanted.
Were also in our mid- 40's and our riding friends are all on two wheels for touring so there is also a bit of a "were not as cool" thought to overcome? Have any of you ever followed a similar path?
Thanks for sharing.

I'm 47, got the trike two years ago. Would never go back. Caught alittle ribbing from my buddies, until we hit a long stretch of construction traffic and I sat back and relaxed, as they did the ol stop and go.
Had a little bit of new regret at first, whether I did the right thing. Even thought about selling the trike. That feeling was gone after a week.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Sometimes riders don't really understand what it means to be cool. And TRIKES are the new COOL!

Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 AM
RHD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeet7373
FYI before you take that ride, have the dealer check the air in the rear shocks, and the tires. Many have to play around with the pressures to get that great ride for the passenger. That can make a better ride for her. And I'm older, female who used to ride across the country with some friends all on two wheels way back in the 90's. I had not seen them in many years. As soon as I pulled up on my TG, they laughed at me. And all I heard was, "if i had to buy a trike, I would make sure it was a Honda not a Harley", this came from a guy who has rode HD's for over 30 years. Quess what, I haven't seen them since.
Will do.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM
ELVISTO
Cruiser

You know what, I couldn't give a Witches Tit what other people think, and you shouldn't either ,

I bought my TG in 2014 for my 70th birthday (I don't have a health problem)(that I know of,lol) I always wanted one, but 2014 was the first year they exported to the UK, The first hour was, well trying to say the least , but it just got better, and better, I'll not be giving up my TG any time soon,

I still have my other two wheelers, and use them regularly, but when I've been out on them i almost always think after, That would have been a nice run on the TG,
The best thing I ever did was to buy my Tri Glide, You'll not regret it,

You know it makes sense, and forget about the jealous people out there, they are not your friends,
ps, sorry if i've gone on a bit,

Old 03-25-2015, 02:09 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

but when I've been out on them i almost always think after, That would have been a nice run on the TG
That right there is what I'm concerned about. Will I get back from the Dragon or other long twisty and say, man that would have been so much more fun on 2.

That and how the heck do you lane split?

Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Shodanusmc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always had 2 wheels. Now almost 65 with a bad hip that will eventually need to be replaced. Tri Glide was the best. Win win.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM
RHD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELVISTO
You know what, I couldn't give a Witches Tit what other people think, and you shouldn't either ,

I bought my TG in 2014 for my 70th birthday (I don't have a health problem)(that I know of,lol) I always wanted one, but 2014 was the first year they exported to the UK, The first hour was, well trying to say the least , but it just got better, and better, I'll not be giving up my TG any time soon,

I still have my other two wheelers, and use them regularly, but when I've been out on them i almost always think after, That would have been a nice run on the TG,
The best thing I ever did was to buy my Tri Glide, You'll not regret it,

You know it makes sense, and forget about the jealous people out there, they are not your friends,
ps, sorry if i've gone on a bit,
So great to hear! Such a great discussion and description of the experience. In fact all of the help has been so exciting that I showed my wife the entire thread over lunch so she could feel better as well about my sincerity of not needing a two wheeler and doing this together. We also have already called two dealerships this afternoon to inquiry about the availability of their 2015 Black TG listings for sale.

RHD

Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

First and mainly, you live in the Mecca of motorcycle riding! Wife and I have a home 80 miles south of you in Bullhead City, Az. We just got home from a 1400 mile ride through Arizona and Nevada. We are on trikes now, heart problems and cancer got us off 2 wheelers. I'm 70, my bride of 43 years is 64. do it DO IT I was a tad reluctant about a trike at first, now I'd never go back. Who gives a damn what others think, most of my friends ride around in Toyotas and have no concept of wind in the face, bugs in your teeth. Ride that new trike to the Grand Canyon, Zion, Brice, Havasu, all in a days ride. You arrive so relaxed because you aren't fighting cross winds, truck drafts, or any of the other road hazards 2 wheelers fight.

We will be touring Zion and Bryce Canyons in Utah in April, happy to meet you there on your new trike!!!

Quick Reply: Too Young to Tri?