Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Too Young to Tri?

Old 03-24-2015, 12:24 PM
RHD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Too Young to Tri?

Folks,
New to forum posting but long time reader. My wife and I have decided now that the kid is in college that we want to explore local hops more, 300 miles max for now, West Coast, NV, AZ. Our plan was to originally to get a Street Glide and her something a bit more manageable, and for longer rides be 2-up. I am seeing and sensing hesitation in her and I don't want this to become something she is scared about. I am new to "Street" but been around dirt early part of my life so I too have a long way to go before I am comfortable with a passenger on a big touring bike. The way you all talk about your experiences and low road stress levels makes the Tri seem like a great idea for us to start? Then, maybe once she is comfortable have her ride the Tri and me finally get that bike I always wanted.
Were also in our mid- 40's and our riding friends are all on two wheels for touring so there is also a bit of a "were not as cool" thought to overcome? Have any of you ever followed a similar path?
Thanks for sharing.

RHD

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD
Folks,
New to forum posting but long time reader. My wife and I have decided now that the kid is in college that we want to explore local hops more, 300 miles max for now, West Coast, NV, AZ. Our plan was to originally to get a Street Glide and her something a bit more manageable, and for longer rides be 2-up. I am seeing and sensing hesitation in her and I don't want this to become something she is scared about. I am new to "Street" but been around dirt early part of my life so I too have a long way to go before I am comfortable with a passenger on a big touring bike. The way you all talk about your experiences and low road stress levels makes the Tri seem like a great idea for us to start? Then, maybe once she is comfortable have her ride the Tri and me finally get that bike I always wanted.
Were also in our mid- 40's and our riding friends are all on two wheels for touring so there is also a bit of a "were not as cool" thought to overcome? Have any of you ever followed a similar path?
Thanks for sharing.

RHD
Welcome to the Forum!

I did not follow the path you outlined. However, it does make sense. I think the first step would be to give a test ride 2-up on a Tri-Glide & Freewheeler to see if you both liked either one of them.

There is no doubt that riding on 3 wheels takes several risk factors out of the equation in riding.

When I went to 3 wheels I had to overcome the whole tricycle/cool factor thing. Glad I did. 3 wheelers are their own kind of fun!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

62, with a few physical issues.................I like the freakwheeler for solo distance and have two beamers for futzing around when I feel froggy............. like was said before give the tri-glide a run with both of you and let her try the freewheeler on her own, she will definitely feel a little more confident.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Never worry about what others think about what you ride. Just embrace that you are able to ride. My wife would no longer get on the back of a two wheel bike. I missed not having her along for the adventures. Then one day she saw a CANAM Spyder on the road, she said; I could do that. Long story short, we bought a Spider, rode it for 6 months. The next spring went to local Harley dealer and he let us take the demo Tri Glide for the day. We were immediately impressed, and purchased one. We are back out in the open air more now then we ever were on the two wheels. Decide what works for you and the wife, and don't worry about what others think.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM
RHD
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
Never worry about what others think about what you ride. Just embrace that you are able to ride. My wife would no longer get on the back of a two wheel bike. I missed not having her along for the adventures. Then one day she saw a CANAM Spyder on the road, she said; I could do that. Long story short, we bought a Spider, rode it for 6 months. The next spring went to local Harley dealer and he let us take the demo Tri Glide for the day. We were immediately impressed, and purchased one. We are back out in the open air more now then we ever were on the two wheels. Decide what works for you and the wife, and don't worry about what others think.
Really great! All super helpful. It is about more quality time with her. I guess whether I need to be on two comes after time spent with her on three. Certainly not the other way around. The comments again are very appreciated.
RHD

Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD
Really great! All super helpful. It is about more quality time with her. I guess whether I need to be on two comes after time spent with her on three. Certainly not the other way around. The comments again are very appreciated.
RHD
There ya go!!

Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Age has nothing to do with it. I'm 34. And I love my Tri-Glide. My lady loves it too. She already said she wont go back to being a passenger on two wheels, because the Tri is so much better.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:16 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firefighter616
There ya go!!
Ditto

Old 03-24-2015, 02:56 PM
plumberdoug
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 45 and in good physical condition when I traded up. At first it did bother me listening to riders in my group but now every trip we go on I end up taking extras for everyone . And now no one ever brings up not being cool. Hell I lead most of the time !!!

Old 03-24-2015, 03:25 PM
Oldcruiser
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine and his wife bought a Tri 2yrs. ago and their in their early 40's.They had a very nice wide glide with custom paint and all the goodie's,but got tired of two-wheelin it,so sold it.They have made the statement that they wish they had made the transition a long time ago,said they will never go back to two wheel's again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too Young to Tri?