Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cfr exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:38 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnie54
I bought the knock offs a little while back & did a very short ride, & they were to loud for me. After reading all the posts on these I thought I'd give them another try. I installed them & it didn't fire right up like usual. I rode it again & it just didn't have the take off as with my other mufflers. Bike just didn't run as good. They sound great at idle, but just to much for me at the higher speeds. I removed them & put my others back on & the trike runs good again. Anybody experience any performance loss with yours?

been looking myself, i have a freewheeler on order, when you say other which exhaust are you talking about, thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 07:41 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I sent an email to Fuel Moto to see if they had any slip-ons for the freewheeler yet and they said no but told me Cobra now has a set available.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a pair of 4'' cvo's. Then installed 2'' fulsac baffles. I like them, just thought I wanted something different. I do believe these are much better on the performance end then the knock offs.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the knock off mufflers on my 2015 I am like you felt like it killed the low end. I took them back off have ordered new mufflers and will see if it is better.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:49 PM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't notice any difference on the low end. I have the CFR's not the knock offs.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:50 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default D&d mufflers

I emailed D&D and this is what they have.

Slip-on Mufflers for the New Harley
Free Wheeler Trike

Stock Mufflers are 27" long and our mufflers are 27" long before any tips and mounting is the same.

408 and 536 with NEW Vortex Wrapped Baffle

408-11TSVQ 3 ½" Black Muffler Straight Cut

408-12TSVQ 3 ½" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

536-11TSVQ 4" Black Muffler Straight Cut

536-12 TSVQ 4" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

New Slip-on Mufflers with Vortex Wrapped Baffle for the Interchangeable End Caps Sold Separately

Best End-Caps to use are the Fish Mouth or Straight Cut

621-11TVQ 3 ½" Black Muffler Straight Cut

621-12TVQ 3 ½" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

622-11TVQ 4" Black Muffler Straight Cut

622-12TVQ 4" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

The following users liked this post:
Ronbo1 (05-10-2017)
Old 05-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by arnie54
I bought the knock offs a little while back & did a very short ride, & they were to loud for me. After reading all the posts on these I thought I'd give them another try. I installed them & it didn't fire right up like usual. I rode it again & it just didn't have the take off as with my other mufflers. Bike just didn't run as good. They sound great at idle, but just to much for me at the higher speeds. I removed them & put my others back on & the trike runs good again. Anybody experience any performance loss with yours?
More than likely the reason for the performance loss with the CFR knock off mufflers was the larger baffles that the mufflers have (I bet there at least 2 1/2" in diameter maybe even a hair bigger if checked). Another reason why there so loud as well. Most times when you get over 2" in size on a baffle with a pretty much stock engine there is some low and mid power loss. 1 3/4" to 2" baffles work really well on most stock Harley's without power losses such as you mentioned.( If I were a betting man I would bet your power losses were low and mid range).

I have D&D Exaust 3 1/2" touring mufflers with the 2" Vortex baffles and the short straight cut Billet end caps installed on my Freewheeler. They sound great a nice throaty rumble not over the top loud but can be heard and the Freewheeler has no power loss at all. Other than the mufflers and a K&N factory air filter replacement my Freewheeler is bone stock and the performance is just fine.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Cfr exhaust-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 05-23-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
I emailed D&D and this is what they have.

Slip-on Mufflers for the New Harley
Free Wheeler Trike

Stock Mufflers are 27" long and our mufflers are 27" long before any tips and mounting is the same.

408 and 536 with NEW Vortex Wrapped Baffle

408-11TSVQ 3 ½" Black Muffler Straight Cut

408-12TSVQ 3 ½" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

536-11TSVQ 4" Black Muffler Straight Cut

536-12 TSVQ 4" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

New Slip-on Mufflers with Vortex Wrapped Baffle for the Interchangeable End Caps Sold Separately

Best End-Caps to use are the Fish Mouth or Straight Cut

621-11TVQ 3 ½" Black Muffler Straight Cut

621-12TVQ 3 ½" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

622-11TVQ 4" Black Muffler Straight Cut

622-12TVQ 4" Chrome Muffler Straight Cut

Yes and there sweet top quality mufflers. I love them on my new Freewheeler Trike... The D&D 3 1/2" Touring mufflers with the 2" Vortex baffle. The end caps I got are the straight short rounded billet caps which add about 1 1/4" to the length of the mufflers placing the mufflers still nicely behind the chrome bumper.

These mufflers sound awsome a throaty rumble not over the top loud but can be heard. No power losses at all, my Freewheeler trike is stock other than the D&D mufflers and a K&N factory replacement air filter.

I did not choose the 4" D&D touring mufflers because they have the 2 1/2" vortex baffles and I wanted specifically the 2" Vortex baffles that the D&D 3 1/2" mufflers have in them.

I posted below a high quality sound clip from D&D web page on the 3 1/2" touring mufflers with the 2" Vortex baffles. My Freewheeler mufflers sound very close in sound if not the same as this video.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 05-23-2015 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Spelling and info
Old 05-23-2015, 09:02 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill G
Yes and there sweet top quality mufflers. I love them on my new Freewheeler Trike... The D&D 3 1/2" Touring mufflers with the 2" Vortex baffle. The end caps I got are the straight short rounded billet caps which add about 1 1/4" to the length of the mufflers placing the mufflers still nicely behind the chrome bumper.

These mufflers sound awsome a throaty rumble not over the top loud but can be heard. No power losses at all, my Freewheeler trike is stock other than the D&D mufflers and a K&N factory replacement air filter.

I did not choose the 4" D&D touring mufflers because they have the 2 1/2" vortex baffles and I wanted specifically the 2" Vortex baffles that the D&D 3 1/2" mufflers have in them.

I posted below a high quality sound clip from D&D web page on the 3 1/2" touring mufflers with the 2" Vortex baffles. My Freewheeler mufflers sound very close in sound if not the same as this video.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with D&D's New Slip-on 3 1/2-inch Muffler - YouTube

thanks for the video, i looked everything up on there site but the exhaust numbers and end cap numbers are different then on the page shown here, if you don't mind could you put up the exhaust numbers and end caps numbers that you ordered, I'm going with this set up also, beings I've had D&D in the past, thanks

Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
thanks for the video, i looked everything up on there site but the exhaust numbers and end cap numbers are different then on the page shown here, if you don't mind could you put up the exhaust numbers and end caps numbers that you ordered, I'm going with this set up also, beings I've had D&D in the past, thanks

D&D chrome 3 1/2" touring mufflers with 2" vortex baffles part# 621-12TVQ

Short chrome rounded billet end caps for the 3 1/2" mufflers part# 603-12EcapS

Make sure to order 2 end caps. (Note) The allen bolts that hold the end caps on are tedious to get in. Go slow not to scratch the rolled ends or edges of the end cap on the inside edge. I taped mine with thick duct tape as not to scratch. Then I removed the residue from the tape with lighter fluid and then cleaned the hole muffler with Windex before starting the bike.

(Note) Flip the back muffler brackets lips facing down (see pic of muffler bracket and support rubbers flipped) and support rubbers to match it will make the muffler install much easier. The back bolt is a pain in the *** and this mod or bracket flip makes re-assembly go a lot easier. It now will be much easier to get to and tighten the bracket bolts. (Note) The rear muffler bracket will work fine either way lips facing up or facing down.

Also you will not need the black leveling spacers D&D send to make the mufflers look even with the bags on a touring bike from a side view. You will need to re-use the short original back muffler bracket bolts. (Note) The longer bolts that D&D send with the mufflers to go through the black spacers mentioned will not be needed on the Trike application). You will see what I mean when you install everything. Also D&D recommends there muffler clamps, put them where all the expansion lines are covered and tighten snug, heat cycle and re-snug.

Best of luck & ride safe,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 05-24-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Cfr exhaust