Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cfr exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

yep your right Bill. Baffle size is almost 3". The loss in power was low to midrange like you said. I'd like to find a baffle for these or do something to make them more usable. The sound is what I like, but way to much loss in performance for me.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:02 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill G
D&D chrome 3 1/2" touring mufflers with 2" vortex baffles part# 621-12TVQ

Short chrome rounded billet end caps for the 3 1/2" mufflers part# 603-12EcapS

Make sure to order 2 end caps. (Note) The allen bolts that hold the end caps on are tedious to get in. Go slow not to scratch the rolled ends or edges of the end cap on the inside edge. I taped mine with thick duct tape as not to scratch. Then I removed the residue from the tape with lighter fluid and then cleaned the hole muffler with Windex before starting the bike.

(Note) Flip the back muffler brackets lips facing down (see pic of muffler bracket and support rubbers flipped) and support rubbers to match it will make the muffler install much easier. The back bolt is a pain in the *** and this mod or bracket flip makes re-assembly go a lot easier. It now will be much easier to get to and tighten the bracket bolts. (Note) The rear muffler bracket will work fine either way lips facing up or facing down.

Also you will not need the black leveling spacers D&D send to make the mufflers look even with the bags on a touring bike from a side view. You will need to re-use the short original back muffler bracket bolts. (Note) The longer bolts that D&D send with the mufflers to go through the black spacers mentioned will not be needed on the Trike application). You will see what I mean when you install everything. Also D&D recommends there muffler clamps, put them where all the expansion lines are covered and tighten snug, heat cycle and re-snug.

Best of luck & ride safe,
Bill G

Thanks bill for all the info and the pic, that alone is worth a thousand words, and yes i would have only ordered one end cap thinking they came in a set for $99 now beings that, that makes D&D a pricey set, a out of my budget for now just around $682 complete. but i have a long list of add ons and still waiting for my superior blue hopefully by then the price will drop a little. thanks again bob

Old 05-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
Thanks bill for all the info and the pic, that alone is worth a thousand words, and yes i would have only ordered one end cap thinking they came in a set for $99 now beings that, that makes D&D a pricey set, a out of my budget for now just around $682 complete. but i have a long list of add ons and still waiting for my superior blue hopefully by then the price will drop a little. thanks again bob
Your Welcome,

I agree the mufflers are pricey. It is the end caps that make them so costly I just sucked it up and got them. Keep in mind you can run just the mufflers without the end caps until your budget increases for a cost of around $482.00 then get the end caps later. The D&D mufflers will not look quite as finished without the end caps but they will still work just fine. Without the end caps installed the mufflers are the exact length of your factory mufflers but straight cut not slash cut like the stock mufflers. The baffle face on the D&D mufflers is a high temp coated silver color not chromed like the stock mufflers baffle face. This is why I say they don't look quite a finished looking without the end caps.

The quality and sound of these D&D mufflers are hard to beat. They just sound awsome, I get big time compliments on them all the time at the Harley shops we stop at from others. Also like I said before no performance loss what so ever on the stock trike with them.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 05-24-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Even the regular CFR mufflers are not known as power or torque makers, they're pretty much just noise makers.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:19 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Even the regular CFR mufflers are not known as power or torque makers, they're pretty much just noise makers.

Agree completely with Mike. Wife's Tri and my Free were fast enough stock. The CFR's were added strictly to be heard.

Frankly we didn't notice any loss in torque, power, or any change what so ever with the CFR's we put on both scoots. Definitely louder though.

True story, back in the 'good old 2 wheeler days' I put Python I (before V & H bought them) exhaust on both my Dyna and her Nightrain. We could pull into the parking structure at the mall, I'd rap it setting off car alarm warnings, she would hit it. Our record was 6 alarms on 2 floors. Sure wish they still made those pipes.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:53 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

It's just like certain trues that are consistent in engineering. I have been tuning and building Harley's for a long time. One of these consistent trues is. In most cases if not all bigger baffles produce less low and mid torque and produce more top end horse power and of course more noise. The butt Dyno may say there is no difference but a real Dyno never lies. I have seen these trues be consistent time and time again over the years concerning muffler/exhaust baffle sizes.

My best life long friend builds some of the nicest Harley engines around and make darn good money doing it. Depending on what someone wants is how he designs things. This includes exaust to include type, a full system or mufflers only and of course the baffle size and design are taken into consideration depending on the wanted outcome. Also cams, compression ratio, piston type, head work, porting, polishing and EFI or carburetor tuning. All of these things have consistent trues that come along with there install and use. The variables come with how there combined/matched installed and tuned.

Ride Safe All,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Cfr exhaust-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 05-24-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Diamond lil 2010
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think my trike preforms alot better.but i also added a stage 1 a/c and tuned it with a screaming eagle tuner and did the cfrs.maybe its the placebo affect?i don't know

Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Diamond lil 2010
i think my trike preforms alot better.but i also added a stage 1 a/c and tuned it with a screaming eagle tuner and did the cfrs.maybe its the placebo affect?i don't know
Did not mean to sound like the CFR mufflers would not perform well. Your bike should run and sound great after being tuned correctly. Bigger baffles like the CFR mufflers have on a stock tuned bike can be disappointing for some as mentioned by a few in some of these post.

As I previously mentioned in my post above,

The variables come with how there combined/matched installed and tuned. Again bigger baffles generally produce more top end horse power and more noise. With the trade off being less low and mid torque.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 05-25-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Info/spelling
Old 05-30-2015, 07:08 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trying these

These are Fuel Moto Dyno Tuned Mufflers I had on my 2010 RK. I thought I would see how they work since I already had them. The sound was great on the 96 in my RK, they sound even better on the 103. The tip about turning over the the flat bar in the muffler mount is spot on. It makes things much easier getting the nuts on.

Attached Thumbnails Cfr exhaust-20150529_190926.jpg   Cfr exhaust-20150529_190941-1-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2015, 07:25 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by foundryratjim
These are Fuel Moto Dyno Tuned Mufflers I had on my 2010 RK. I thought I would see how they work since I already had them. The sound was great on the 96 in my RK, they sound even better on the 103. The tip about turning over the the flat bar in the muffler mount is spot on. It makes things much easier getting the nuts on.

I like it, looks nice and I bet it sounds good.....Yes flipping the rear muffler brackets makes getting to the bolts much easier.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Quick Reply: Cfr exhaust