Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cat on 2015 Tri Glide, too hot for passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Wink Checked heat

I had the laser thermometer with me today and wrapping the header pipe it seems to have cooled the same area right by my right leg 25 degrees. That in my book is a lot. stopped in traffic two consecutive lights and I did not fry. worth the time and work. ride safely fearless

Attached Thumbnails Cat on 2015 Tri Glide, too hot for passenger?-dsc01251.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

First time Harley owner, 8000+ miles, and we've over 5500 on one trip, Ohio to California and back, with weather everywhere from 41 and spitting snow in the mountains to 113 (and a bonus sand storm) in the dry desert and 110 in the humidity of Nebraska.

Along the way I asked the wife at a traffic light in Salt Lake City how bad it was back there, a calm 105 in the sun, sitting still for maybe five minutes in traffic on blacktop. She said "It's hot but not that bad. I just move my foot out a little when we're sitting still." Not a word otherwise.

It's stock mechanically, and I'm still looking for all this heat folks are talking about. I didn't get that option? Yeah, it gets warm. You're straddling an internal combustion engine. But it's not that bad. Feels good when it's cold out; on my BMWs putting your feet on the jugs to warm up was considered a "feature".

Spend the money and enjoy a cooler experience if you think you need to, I just don't see a whole lot of point in it for us. Just one point of view.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:29 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
on my BMWs putting your feet on the jugs to warm up was considered a "feature".
Got my face slapped for that once ...

Old 04-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzHe
Got my face slapped for that once ...
Did you wiggle your toes? that helps with the slapping

Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jugs
Hey Brother, I'm not going to mix it up with you. I respect your opinion but a critic can't really criticize until he's seen the movie. Please take a look at www.love-jugs.com web site and see what actual customers, experts, and the media are saying. (Watch for a new section coming very soon with the awards and articles that are coming in) Ultimately, let's see what this thread originator has to say after he installs his Love Jugs and does his own testing. It will be helpful for all of us who have opinions to listen to his actual experience.
Steve,
So if I was to purchase install the Love-Jugs and did not see 100° drop in head temp, what is your return policy, and do you pay shipping both ways if I do not see 100° drop in temps? One other question, a year ago I had inquired about auto on / off switch. Do you now have an auto switch?
Thank you for your help. I need to drop my head temp from current 335° F.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:34 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
First time Harley owner................
It's stock mechanically, and I'm still looking for all this heat folks are talking about. I didn't get that option? Yeah, it gets warm. You're straddling an internal combustion engine. But it's not that bad. ................
Until my 2015 I never had an issue with the heat. First hot day riding this at Bike Week I got to experience what others since 2010 had been talking about. Burned my leg standing next to the trike while refueling. No, I didn't brush up against it. I was close to touching but wasn't. I always thought that some were just either more sensitive to heat or looking for a reason to justify spending money on after market exhaust. Now I get it. Yes, sitting on top of an Internal Combustion engine you will feel the heat. I have taking steps to avoid the heat. Moved the floorboards out. Wear Chaps/half chaps. But the cat is hot.....

Old 04-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Keystone
Until my 2015 I never had an issue with the heat. First hot day riding this at Bike Week I got to experience what others since 2010 had been talking about. Burned my leg standing next to the trike while refueling. No, I didn't brush up against it. I was close to touching but wasn't. I always thought that some were just either more sensitive to heat or looking for a reason to justify spending money on after market exhaust. Now I get it. Yes, sitting on top of an Internal Combustion engine you will feel the heat. I have taking steps to avoid the heat. Moved the floorboards out. Wear Chaps/half chaps. But the cat is hot.....
I always fill standing on the left side of trike. Not because I was burned, but just the heat coming up from the pipes and leaning over to see when full. The residual heat is going to be hot with no air flow, does not mater if it is water head or not at that point, will not matter if you have cat or no cat.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Filling on the left was easy with my Ultra and Tri Glide. Not so with the FLRT as the cap is on the right. Add the joint issues with my spine, hips etc. and filling from the left is difficult as best.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

"Got my face slapped for that once ... " Hahahaha, good one!

Counterpoints well taken.

Yes, having the "...extended floorboards..." (in my signature, that's extended out) helps; and I've also got the HD heel guard, which is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. With those and the passenger footboard down it helps prevent from getting close to the pipes on the left side, I guess I just don't put my leg in the space in between.

Never thought of it before, but with the Tri Glide it's nice, you don't have to think about what side the pump is on at all, just pull up and fuel.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 04-13-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Ahhh, come on guys. I've been following the trike boards since 2011. Every couple of months this comes back up. I've burned my leg on my: Softail, Dyna, other Softail, Ulta and yes, my 09 Tri AND my Freewheeler. All because I wasn't paying attention. Most of my Harleys have heel prints cooked into the pipes. Not the bike / trikes fault, but MINE. Exhaust pipes are hot, Cat or no Cat. Remove the cat and you still have 1200* exhaust gas in the pipe. Rarely will the Cat burn you, it is under the floorboard. Just a matter of time before: 1 Lift kits come back around, then wind buffeting, followed closely by the burning searing heat. Oh, then there is the hard steering, breaks that suck, and the lack of power. I really love it when a post starts "I couldn't find anything about this, anyone have a problem with......" RIDE your trike, stop picking it apart, or sell it to someone that really enjoys motorcycles.

Off my soap box.

Quick Reply: Cat on 2015 Tri Glide, too hot for passenger?