Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Freewheeler rear brake question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:56 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks every one. Ill call the HD shop on tuesday and see how things are coming along. I never thought about the fact that the left brake may be the one not working properly thus causing the right to lock up because the left is not keeping up. Good idea. Ill keep you posted. Thank you for the input.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 AM
jhtrim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting your brake problem, I only have about 500 miles on mine and love it. This is the first problem I've heard of. Please keep us posted on your bike and the solution. Good Luck!!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Update: rear brake problem fixed... here is what happened.

Apparently the freewheeler is so new some dealers are selling them out the door with out doing a brake adjustment. Really bad idea.

On the freewheeler trike there is an adjustment that dictates how much front and rear brake come on with the linked brake set up.

On my bike this was way out of adjustment because the factory expected the dealer to set up this adjustment at delivery. Cudos to Grizzly Harley Davidson in missoula, montana for fixing this issue especially since I did not purchase my bike there.

Turns out the brake adjustment is also a service item and is supposed to be adjusted so often at the proper service. The tech that fixed it had just returned from a service seminar on the latest service required on the newer trikes and bikes or he might not have found the issue.

So if your linked brakes ( rear brake pedal only) start locking up badly and pull your bike/trike one way or the other so it wants to pull you off the road ; take it in and tell them the brakes need adjusting. Bike is fixed and ill be going to get in on thursday. Thanks everyone for ideas and encouragement. I will be calling the dealer where I bought the bike and telling them they screwed up royal on my trike setup. Thankfully even though I was pulled off the road twice because of this, I did not have an bad accident. Did give me a few more white hairs.....

Old 04-10-2021, 11:19 AM
strick1940
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently purchased a 2015 Harley Trike Freewheeler. I love this machine! I did not know the rear brake pedal also engages the front brake. I've been braking with the rear pedal and the front lever at the same time. The trike has just under 10K miles on it. I find the rear brake pedal throws too far to engage the brakes. I would like the pedal to engage the brakes at around one inch of movement. I would like instructions on adjusting the rear pedal. Comments are appreciated for sure.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:22 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by strick1940
I recently purchased a 2015 Harley Trike Freewheeler. I love this machine! I did not know the rear brake pedal also engages the front brake. I've been braking with the rear pedal and the front lever at the same time. The trike has just under 10K miles on it. I find the rear brake pedal throws too far to engage the brakes. I would like the pedal to engage the brakes at around one inch of movement. I would like instructions on adjusting the rear pedal. Comments are appreciated for sure.
You might consider the purchase of a service manual if you plan on doing any maintenance. It will guide you through most everything.
I think it was '15 that they tied the brakes together. When you apply the rear brakes the front is also applied. When you apply just the front brake just the front brake is applied..

Old 04-11-2021, 08:52 AM
strick1940
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

The service manual would be a good investment. I like to do my own maintenance.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:59 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I have the 2016 FW. So far, no problems with the brakes while riding. The only thing that needed to be done was an adjustment on the parking brake. Due to brake pad wear, the parking brake would not hold. A few turns on the adjusting rod brought it brake back into working condition.