Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

stage 1

Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Fuzzy1950
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question stage 1

I removed the cat leaving stock air cleaner and muffers cant git stage one done for 3 weeks hd dealer said I would burn the valves up if I ride it how true is that I dont went to sit for 3 weeks??

Old 04-14-2015, 03:18 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy1950
I removed the cat leaving stock air cleaner and muffers cant git stage one done for 3 weeks hd dealer said I would burn the valves up if I ride it how true is that I dont went to sit for 3 weeks??
1st thing is I hope it isn't still under warranty, I have this feeling your dealer is going to be a dick. The 2nd thought is you need to call BS, they are so full of **** their eyes are brown. Your not going to burn no valves, however you may have some lean and rich spots which you had before you removed the cat. FWIW a stage 1 dealer download won't cure this, all the dealer stage 1 download does is increase the rev limiter to 6,200 rpm and add a touch more fuel in the higher rpm open loop areas of the map.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the stage 1 download done when I had the exhaust replaced and I like it .

I know its not as complete as say a power vision but it was done by the dealer at the time of purchase. I was told by my dealer that when you remove the cat you need a download to richen up the mix some . I don't know if its the same stage one download used previously on other bikes or a new one for the HO 103 which comes stock with a S.E. 255 cam. In either case it worked great for me. If your bike is under warranty still they wont warranty the exhaust as it is but they will fix the rest of your bike. You probably won't burn up a valve riding as is but if you do the fix will be on your dime. if you burn a valve in the future and you can show the dealer did a download your much more likely to get HD to foot the bill to fix it. Something to think on before you decide what to do.

Just notice my tag changed to outstanding HDF member.. how did that happen LOL... good luck

Old 04-15-2015, 01:26 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem

Just notice my tag changed to outstanding HDF member.. how did that happen LOL... good luck
Your post count went over 2000.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:09 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by missedem
I had the stage 1 download done when I had the exhaust replaced and I like it .

I know its not as complete as say a power vision but it was done by the dealer at the time of purchase. I was told by my dealer that when you remove the cat you need a download to richen up the mix some . I don't know if its the same stage one download used previously on other bikes or a new one for the HO 103 which comes stock with a S.E. 255 cam. In either case it worked great for me. If your bike is under warranty still they wont warranty the exhaust as it is but they will fix the rest of your bike. You probably won't burn up a valve riding as is but if you do the fix will be on your dime. if you burn a valve in the future and you can show the dealer did a download your much more likely to get HD to foot the bill to fix it. Something to think on before you decide what to do.

If they used the Stage 1 download its the EPA compliant, read lean AFR, as they do on every bike or trike no matter what exhaust combination you use. Its not uncommon to see 17.1 AFR at idle with the EPA compliant downloads.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Fuzzy1950
Intermediate

OK, First of all I want to thank all you for your input. I guess Ill just ride a hope for the best . thanks . Fuzzy . Whats post count over 2000 mean ? Is it good or bad?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy1950
Removing the cat will not burn a valve anymore than leaving it stock.

Here is a thread that overviews a lot of popular options for Stage 1 tuning.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

Here is a LINK to some good information on Stage 1 options.

Excessive heat is something to be aware of on a Tri-Glide & Freewheeler, whether leaving it stock or doing modifications.

If possible, I would explore finding a different dealer than one that is making you wait 3 weeks. All dealers are Not the same.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Fuzzy1950
Intermediate

Thank you very much Kevin for the reply to my post I find it very helpful . Fuzzy

Old 04-15-2015, 05:03 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Two poeple I trust on here to give good information Msocko3 and Kevin . If they tell you it won't burn a valve, I'd trust them.. Besides, once the exhaust gets to the cat, it's long past the valves

Old 04-16-2015, 07:44 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does going to a power vision and changing the exhaust and air filter void the Harley warranty?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stage 1