Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Brakes fixed on freewheeler

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brakes fixed on freewheeler

to everyone who has been following my rear brake woes. I posted an update in the original question but since you might not have followed it here is the solution to the problem. :

Apparently the freewheeler is so new some dealers are selling them out the door with out doing a brake adjustment. At least in my case this is what happened.

On the freewheeler trike there is an adjustment that dictates how much front and rear brake come on with the linked brake set up. On my bike this was way out of adjustment because the factory expected the dealer to set up this adjustment. Cudos to Grizzly Harley Davidson in missoula, montana for fixing this issue especially since I did not purchase my bike there. Turns out the brake adjustment is also a service item and is supposed to be adjusted so often at the proper service. So if your linked brakes start locking up badly and pull your bike/trike one way or the other take it in and tell them the brakes need adjusting. Bike is fixed and ill be going to get in on thursday. Thanks everyone for ideas and encouragement. I will be calling the dealer where I bought the bike and telling them they screwed up royal on my trike setup.

Last edited by missedem; 04-14-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:56 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Seems strange, the 14 and 15 Tri-Glides also have the linked breaks, you would think the new bike delivery service would be the same.

Good Luck

Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Apparently only if your particular mechanic knows what he is doing . Someone either forgot or just did not know how to adjust my brakes properly before delivery. It could have been something as simple as someone just assumed it would be adjusted correctly since it is new. According to harley technical the dealer you buy the bike from is responsible for checking and making all pre - bike delivery adjustments. Someone dropped the ball.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:44 AM
foundryratjim
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is great info. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:21 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

don't surpise me the dealer didn't do the predelivery check list. my last new bike barely had any oil in the transmission and had bolts that were just barely started in some of the holes. felt lucky to have made it home on the thing. i called the dealer when i got home and their reply was wow, that's a bummer! just dropped 20 large and that's the reponse i get from the substandard dealer. next new bike gets everything checked before i leave the parking lot.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:44 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

Just rode the trike home today. Works like its supposed to now. Handling is right on , tracks straight and true , not all over the road, not trying to pull me into the guard rail at 70 MPH .... was a completely different experience. I was actually shocked at how much better it rode when not pulling all over the place. Apparently my right rear brake was not only locking up badly but dragging and pulling the trike off the road. I am super happy now. First ride in 120 miles I got to relax and enjoy the ride.