Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

two weeks away and now the trike won't start.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:08 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts
Default two weeks away and now the trike won't start.

I went away for 2 weeks and had the trike on the battery tender while I was gone. I had locked the ignition cause I left it in my carport. Today ironically the last day of my warranty I went to go to lunch on the trike. I unlock the ignition turn it on and ....nothing happens. No lights no security lights flashing no horn absolutely nothing.

I have no idea where to start looking to resolve this can anyone offer tips while I go take the seat off and check the battery? Battery Tender is solid green.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:50 AM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your main fuse left side cover if you are sitting on it. Might be corroded.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

I checked all fuses and they were all ok. I went and bought a new fob battery even though in my mind I knew that wasn't the problem.
Came home and tried it again nothing worked. Flipped the switch back and forth and voila everything came on like it was supposed to. I am taking it in to have the ignition switch looked at, must be a problem in the switch.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,230 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Originally Posted by sprinkman
Check your main fuse left side cover if you are sitting on it. Might be corroded.
Yeah that^^
Plus make sure the fuse isn't blown..

Then:
- check the voltage at the battery. Should be about 12.5. If it is, the battery is good. If it is significantly lower...maybe your battery tender crapped out.
- check to ensure the connections at the battery are clean and tight
- wiggle the ignition switch back and forth a couple times..,maybe it's hunky. If this solves it get it repaired

Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

With the HD computers they are programed to make bike non-functional on day warranty expires unless you purchase the extended warranty Just kidding. Sounds like it could one of the already mentioned, and if your dealer is worth anything should cover it for you if warranty item even though you are expired a day or so. Just give them a call let them know what's going on.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tr1Rid3r
I checked all fuses and they were all ok. I went and bought a new fob battery even though in my mind I knew that wasn't the problem.
Came home and tried it again nothing worked. Flipped the switch back and forth and voila everything came on like it was supposed to. I am taking it in to have the ignition switch looked at, must be a problem in the switch.
Occasionally I will have the same thing happen with my '09. I just flip ign switch off and on a couple of times and everything is fine. It doesn't happen very often and hasn't annoyed me yet so will just live with it for now. Especially now that it is way out of warranty.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Occasionally I will have the same thing happen with my '09. I just flip ign switch off and on a couple of times and everything is fine. It doesn't happen very often and hasn't annoyed me yet so will just live with it for now. Especially now that it is way out of warranty.

First time out when it happens is scary as heck. Now that I now it will do that I'll make sure next time to look for it. At least I got a new FOB battery out of all this. lol

Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
As long as all you do is ride around home its pretty simple. Now be 1,000 miles form home and have it fail all together, life will get real entertaining, especially if the dealer doesn't have the part.

I played that game with the fork lock on my 06 Ultra, the lock would stick. I would lube it and cycle the key several times until it would free up. One day while I was 250 miles from home, it was game over. The sucker would not unlock, luckily the closest dealer had a box truck with a lift gate. 3 of use picked the bike up and moved it onto the gate and into the truck for a ride back to the dealer. They did have a new lock set keyed different, I wasn't in a position to be choosy so I had them change it.

Moral of the story, when traveling make sure your bike or trike is in top shape. Just getting buy with an issue sooner of later will strand you.

The 2010 Triglide I used to have had part of the electrical system go out, a cycle of the ignition got it back. I was lucky because I was 600 miles from home at the time. I got home and promptly traded it in, now its someone else's problem, along with the bad compensator and leaking stator.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:27 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Couldn't agree with Mike more! Same problem with an '04 Nightrain fork lock. Did the same 'jiggle' thing for months. Sure as hell in Las Vegas during Bikefest it decided to die altogether. Las Vegas Harley sent a truck and replaced the fork lock. consider the embarrassment of having your Harley towed out of a parking lot where 25,000 other Harleys are parked.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:46 AM
Uncle Al
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was on my way to the Hog dealer. The GPS (2014 triglide) went blank. They took me right in and checked the bike, said my battery was low (it was only 18 months old). Dealer asked if I was charging it after every ride like the manual says. So much electronics that it has to be constantly charged. Could this be your problem?

Last edited by Uncle Al; 05-16-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: two weeks away and now the trike won't start.