Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2012 TriGlide radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:02 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2012 TriGlide radio

When we went on our Southern trip last summer, somewhere in Louisiana, the H-K advanced audio system failed. The display is too faint to see, and there is a black dot that looks like an arc flash in the lower left hand part of the screen. Even though the radio and all other functions perform just fine, the lack of a display isn't very convenient. I contacted Iron Cross and they said that they could fix the unit for $250.00. So I have been mulling this over for a few weeks now and I have concluded that I'm going to pull the radio out of the bike and replace it with an aftermarket. I have owned 6 new Harley touring bikes, and I have had 4 radios fail. I don't consider that very good reliability. So, my question finally is this: I've gone on Ebay and there are many different installation kits with marine radios. What kits are good, and which ones are junk. My needs aren't very great, my years working next to a jet engine build up stand in the USAF, my years on construction, my years working in a paper mill, have left with pretty limited hearing. My wife still hears well though, so I think we need a middle of the road system that plays iPods and MP3, has an FM radio, and maybe a CD player. A little reliability would also be a plus. I'd appreciate any and all conversation on this matter. Thanks
Ride Safe
Mike

Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep in mind that you might loose your rider to passenger communication with an after market and there are no after markets with CB. For my personal needs the factory unit is all that will work because of the CB radio and rider to passenger com., and also for the interface with the Zumo 660.

There is a ton of good stuff concerning Iron Cross, and they offer a good warranty.

Just a thought.

Bill

Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
dafoot2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
When we went on our Southern trip last summer, somewhere in Louisiana, the H-K advanced audio system failed. The display is too faint to see, and there is a black dot that looks like an arc flash in the lower left hand part of the screen. Even though the radio and all other functions perform just fine, the lack of a display isn't very convenient. I contacted Iron Cross and they said that they could fix the unit for $250.00. So I have been mulling this over for a few weeks now and I have concluded that I'm going to pull the radio out of the bike and replace it with an aftermarket. I have owned 6 new Harley touring bikes, and I have had 4 radios fail. I don't consider that very good reliability. So, my question finally is this: I've gone on Ebay and there are many different installation kits with marine radios. What kits are good, and which ones are junk. My needs aren't very great, my years working next to a jet engine build up stand in the USAF, my years on construction, my years working in a paper mill, have left with pretty limited hearing. My wife still hears well though, so I think we need a middle of the road system that plays iPods and MP3, has an FM radio, and maybe a CD player. A little reliability would also be a plus. I'd appreciate any and all conversation on this matter. Thanks
Ride Safe
Mike
I just installed the Aquatics AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Dragonfly cycle concepts sells them. If you go to their Facebook page they have a demo of it. Fully waterproof. Uses the factory handlebar controls, Bluetooth and has a slot behind the radio face plate for a cell phone or iPod with a charging cable. Retails for 350.00

Thing I like is my wife can hook up her phone and run the Bluetooth and control the music. Sounds good too allot cleaner than the front Harley port.

Radio is plug and play uses the Harley wire harness hookup. Took about 30 minutes total with removing the fairing.
You do lose the cb though. I never used it anyway.

Last edited by dafoot2; 05-19-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 AM
cochon
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by billnourse
Keep in mind that you might loose your rider to passenger communication with an after market and there are no after markets with CB. For my personal needs the factory unit is all that will work because of the CB radio and rider to passenger com., and also for the interface with the Zumo 660.

There is a ton of good stuff concerning Iron Cross, and they offer a good warranty.

Just a thought.

Bill

Hi Bill. Thanks for your response. I pretty much know that I will have to give up the CB, the rider to passenger com, and the Zumo interface, but, I never used any of that stuff anyway. My primary use for the radio is for music and weather band. I would also like to be able to plug in an iPod or MP3 and have a CD player. I think that Bluetooth would be nice. Although I have never used it on a bike, I use it in my car often.
As for Iron Cross, I have never heard one bad word about those folks. They appear to be a very good company with many happy customers. My only concern is that given that the H-K radio only lasted 2 years on my bike, how long will a rebuilt unit from Iron Cross last? Will I have to pull a rebuilt unit out of the bike in 2 more years to have it rebuilt again? There seems to be a large selection of after market radios on the market and I am interested in seeing if there are some better choices out there.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:36 AM
cochon
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dafoot2
I just installed the Aquatics AV AQ-MP-5BT-H Dragonfly cycle concepts sells them. If you go to their Facebook page they have a demo of it. Fully waterproof. Uses the factory handlebar controls, Bluetooth and has a slot behind the radio face plate for a cell phone or iPod with a charging cable. Retails for 350.00

Thing I like is my wife can hook up her phone and run the Bluetooth and control the music. Sounds good too allot cleaner than the front Harley port.

Radio is plug and play uses the Harley wire harness hookup. Took about 30 minutes total with removing the fairing.
You do lose the cb though. I never used it anyway.

Hello Foot. I also want to thank you for your response. This Aquatics radio looks like the kind of option that I'm looking for. Have you had it very long? Now, when you say that it has a charging port behind the faceplate, is it easily accessible from the drivers seat?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM
dafoot2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
Hello Foot. I also want to thank you for your response. This Aquatics radio looks like the kind of option that I'm looking for. Have you had it very long? Now, when you say that it has a charging port behind the faceplate, is it easily accessible from the drivers seat?
Had it about a month. Big reason I got it was for the Bluetooth,I wanted no wires connecting to my radio. The faceplate has a push button you press and it pops off and the connections are behind it,
http://www.aquaticav.com/harley/

Check out that link for pictures and specs

Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 AM
cochon
Road Warrior

Yeah. I checked out the Aquatics radio yesterday and it seems like a nice one. I also went to ebay and they also had a ton of choices for a replacement radio. I'm wondering if any of you has had any experience, good or bad, with any of those Ebay replacement radio kits that have the handle bar control adapters.