Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

FreeWheeler Rear Fenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:31 AM
DSLKSL
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FreeWheeler Rear Fenders

I am new to riding a trike, and noticed that the front of the rear fenders do not have lights or anything reflective on them. I am curious what they look like at night to on coming cars?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure we're your going with this when you say no reflectors on rear fenders. The Freewheeler has the same amount of required reflectors on it as any other Harley.

The Freewheeler has two red reflectors one on the sides of each fender. Also at night you can see the tail lights from the side as well. In the front of the Freewheeler you have a two amber reflector one on each fork tube that can be seen from each side plus the head light.

This is no different than any other model Harley made when it comes to where the reflectors are required to be placed legally from the factory. For instance Touring models have a red reflector on the side of each saddle bag lid and the two amber reflectors one on the fork tubes.

I quess one could stick more reflectors on it at the ex-spence of looks or one add the extra driving lights to the front or add the air wing rear wrack with the light kit in it.

In the pic below you can see the reflectors on the front forks and the rear fenders. Also you can see the sides of the tail lights that will be seen from the back and side view at night.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails FreeWheeler Rear Fenders-image.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 05-28-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:30 PM
DSLKSL
Intermediate

What I mean is, cars coming at you on a dark road I am thinking will most only see your head light and front running lights. I am not sure if they will see the rear fender sticking out. Or will they think it's a Motorcycle coming down the road. The only reason I ask is there are some real narrow road here and don't want them to clip the rear fender if they cross the line. Shy of sticking some dumb looking reflector on, maybe others have already done something?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DSLKSL
What I mean is, cars coming at you on a dark road I am thinking will most only see your head light and front running lights. I am not sure if they will see the rear fender sticking out. Or will they think it's a Motorcycle coming down the road. The only reason I ask is there are some real narrow road here and don't want them to clip the rear fender if they cross the line. Shy of sticking some dumb looking reflector on, maybe others have already done something?

Ok I get where your going now and totally understand.

I think if someone is far enough into your lane to hit your fenders you got more to worry about than a reflector on the face of your rear fenders. Ya, the trike or Frewheeler is wider than a motorcycle but still more narrow than the smallest of cars. On narrow roads ride careful and don't hug the yellow or middle line. One of the things to for sure keep in mind while on a trike.

On another note wear a highly reflective jacket and even a high viz helmet. I think these items would help more than a reflector on the face of your fenders. I wear a highly reflective Harley jacket and at night it works great.

Take Care & Ride Safe,
Bill G

Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

In my nearly 60 years of riding motorcycles I have never even come close to being hit head on by a car in my lane because he thought he had more room. I don't wear special clothes, lights on my helmet, light flashers. Stop worrying about 'what ifs' and ride that fun thing.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by screwball
In my nearly 60 years of riding motorcycles I have never even come close to being hit head on by a car in my lane because he thought he had more room. I don't wear special clothes, lights on my helmet, light flashers. Stop worrying about 'what ifs' and ride that fun thing.
screwball,

I think the OP is maybe making a little to much out of things. But with all do respect in my 35 years of riding on the street myself I have had cars come into my lane on narrow two lane roads ( people today are distracted more than ever before with texting and every other electronic item out there)

Again with all do respect to your opinion there is nothing wrong with wearing high night reflective lettered or trimmed jackets like Harley and others sell. I did mention a Hi Viz Helmet option to the OP because there available and a viable option for being seen better (not a bad idea with today's distracted drivers)

I did not mention any helmets with lights mounted on them (don't know where that came from) Again with all do respect If these things help him or anyone feel more comfortable in wanting to be seen I say go for it. No one could argue these safer items when used are a bad thing with any logic behind it.

I do agree by all means ride and have plenty of fun but if you throw the what ifs' out the window long enough without any consideration they can come back around and bite you in the back side.

So let's all go ride safe and have some Fun.

Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 05-29-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
DSLKSL
Intermediate

Screwball, thanks for the help with this, after all I did not want to add any reflectors. But with your advise I found a helmet on eBay that is like new. The guy says he has not wore in in 60 years now.

I think the best advise to the reflective clothing. Thanks for both of your input.

Attached Thumbnails FreeWheeler Rear Fenders-helmet.jpg  
Old 05-28-2015, 08:00 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I understand the OP thoughts. You can get either lighted lights from several company's or use reflectors that fit what you want easy enough. if I would take the time to look I probably have reflectors that would do what you want. Reflectors are low cost and probably find what you want from someone, most remove them because of their looks so they just may give em to you.
If you came by the shop I will give you a set.
Problem is I don't keep up with them because no one has ever asked for em. I have a lot of boxes with small stuff that has no worth to me. Which one they are in I have no clue.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Hay Steve,
I think you should put some led finals on those spikes on your helmet. Would look great at night !

Old 05-29-2015, 01:30 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was kind of kidding. Been a member here a long time and you would be amazed at some of the suggestions for visibility that have been posted here.

THAT IS A GREAT HELMET!!

Here are a couple of the helmets I have and wear regularly. I had one with a yellow revolving light, but I can't find any pictures of it. When you are old, you can get away with stuff like this.

Attached Thumbnails FreeWheeler Rear Fenders-head-shot.jpg   FreeWheeler Rear Fenders-helmet-3b.jpg   FreeWheeler Rear Fenders-helmet-hair.jpg