Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2 wheels or 3 wheels - just not sure yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:01 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Ditto on what they said! At 58 I also was in great shape and on 2 wheels....now at 69, I have had both knees replaced, both hips, 2 hernia operations, and colon cancer in 2006, which gave me neuropathy in my feet and fingers from the chemo So stuff happens! I love my trike....just got back on it the other day after waiting 42 days of convalescing from my last knee replacement, and what a feeling!! Did I say I love my trike? I don't know how much more time I have, but I'm now happy, healthy and wise, and will keep riding!! Best of luck to you!

Old 06-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

We now have a 2014 TG, me, I'm like you, don't really need the trike but my wife suffers from osteoarthritis in her knees and back.the trike make it so much easier for her to climb on and off. I just stand out of the way and she can taker her time getting on.
Plus, like most have stated its quite a lot more relaxing, no worries about gravel, oil, stuck in traffic etc....just sit back and enjoy!
I only have one bike now, but would like to have something small in the garage to cat abound on...
All and all, for us aging folks, the trike is the cats ***...

Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

Similar story, I just got tired of continuously trying to convince over a quarter ton of metal to not fall over like it wants to. The wife with new knees now goes with me, she wouldn't before. And for her, a sidecar was out of the question, too "quirky." We did a 5200 mile trip last year through all kinds of conditions and roads and loved it. It holds enough that you only have to do laundry every 6 days or so.

But it is a different critter entirely, that's for sure, you'll either love it or hate it. I kind of wish I'd have not traded in the old two-wheeler at times, but I needed to. It was definitely worth it for me. Try one and see what you think!

Old 06-28-2015, 05:15 PM
rwhgme
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a healthy, active, athletic 59 years old. I am a Home Depot department supervisor that walks between 15-25,000 steps in an 8 hour day. I have ridden a Hodaka dirt bike, and owned and rode an 1100E and an 1100L Suzuki....hard! My wife never learned how to ride a bicycle or drive a car. I also am a former, clean, bicycle racer. The way bikes lean in corners, scared the hell out of my wife, but a trike kept her in a comfort zone! Thank God!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:51 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

just got on a freewheeler this year. Miss being able to split lanes and blast down the interstate at 90 mph all day long. I can pretty much do the same thing on the trike but have to slow down for the hard twisties that I would have been able to pull 80 though on the dyna. Its a different experience. As long as I slow down for most heavy twisties I can ride the trike just like I rode the bike. They are still maneuverable enough to get through most traffic. But get stuck behind a semi on a narrow road with no view around , or in stop and go city traffic and your going to be stuck. I am going to put a fan (ala love jugs or something similar) on the bike for the times I am stuck in traffic when its 95 out and the trike has to idle without moving for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I like the change from two wheels but it did take some getting used to .

Old 06-29-2015, 04:28 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
My opinion both 2&3 wheelers in the garage is the way to go. Comfort and style. Test ride a Triglide and I believe you will have a better understanding of what we enjoy so much. I can ride two wheelers my wife prefers to go on three and so do I enjoy three. ride safely fearless.
Same here.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 AM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for all the reply's - very helpful. biggest reason I am considering a trike is for 2-up road trips.

I am too old to care about the stigma and what people think...it's all about what works best for me. I will keep a 2 wheeler in the garage.

looks like I need to rent one for a weekend and see for my self....feedback was great!