Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2 wheels or 3 wheels - just not sure yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:37 AM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 wheels or 3 wheels - just not sure yet

I am 58 years old, and been riding all my life. I am a two bike family....ultra for 2 up, and a hot rod fat tire custom painted 1 up bike ( I built) for around town. It is time for a new (2 up) bike and would like a little help from this group about your reasons for buying a trike. Physically I am in great shape and do not need 3 wheels, because I need help holding it up. I can also afford a CVO ultra or road glide, but thinking why pay $40,000+ for a CUSTOM bike to rack up a bunch of touring miles. I also realize the trike (OTD) will be close to $35,000, but am thinking there are ALOT of 2 up/touring benefits with the trike. With a trike I believe I can carry more stuff when traveling. Today if wife and I go for a week, I FEDEX stuff we cant carry to my destinations, and then, FEDEX back home when leaving. I do not ride my ultra to work because I carry my work back pack, and a large duffle bag with workout gear and clothes. with a trike I have a trunk. don't slam me too hard, just help me with my assumptions, and give me a little feedback about your reasons for a trike. if I do buy a trike, I will make it my own...maybe some chrome, but focus will be on comfort and touring add-ons.

thanks in advance for the help.....

Old 06-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Best of both worlds

My opinion both 2&3 wheelers in the garage is the way to go. Comfort and style. Test ride a Triglide and I believe you will have a better understanding of what we enjoy so much. I can ride two wheelers my wife prefers to go on three and so do I enjoy three. ride safely fearless.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM
Mixitman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went trike, very recently, due to an accident a couple summers back (totaled bike) and so I'm unable to hold the weight of a normal touring bike up while 2-up.

That being said, I'm only 400 miles into my TG, and loving it! It's a very different sensation while corning, but other than that, it's a Harley through-and-through. It gives the wife and I a much greater opportunity for travel than we had on our previous bikes not only because of the extra storage room, but weather is even less of an issue as well. I've ridden for years, so rain and such didn't much bother me as long as I was geared up, but she was a VERY nervous passenger when the roads were wet.

Anyway, without creating a giant wall of text, they're extremely enjoyable, fun rides and I'd highly recommend one

And I've decided the whole "Oh, you're on a trike? yuck!" stigma, is jealousy. I love this thing and know I'll own it till the day they pull my license from my cold, dead hand.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks fearless and mixitman - you are confirming my thoughts

is there anything you are not happy with about riding your trike?

I understand steering is different, anything else?

Old 06-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Mixitman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than missing the leans through corners, I'm 100% enjoying it. Even more important, my wife does as well. Happy wife, happy life!

Best thing you could do for yourself is get out and ride one around and honestly TRY and find things that bug you about it and decide if those are enough to keep you away. Just remember not to put your feet down!

Old 06-27-2015, 05:18 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default lane splitting

If you have a habit of lane splitting break yourself of it quickly other than that not one negative thing found. ride safely fearless

Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Wife gave up her Deluxe after a particularly bad case of cancer. Chemo left her feet and lower legs numb. Now she doesn't have to worry about holding up a bike when she can't feel her feet. I 'triked' in '11 after open heart surgery. We both use the hell out of our trikes, but we used the hell out of our 2 wheelers also. If it were physically possible we would both be back on 2 wheels. The decision now is 3 wheels or rocking chairs. Our siggy picture answers that question. Good Luck

Oh, I'm 70, she is 63.....I robbed the cradle 43 years ago

Old 06-28-2015, 01:32 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by soon to be
I am 58 years old, and been riding all my life. I am a two bike family....ultra for 2 up, and a hot rod fat tire custom painted 1 up bike ( I built) for around town. It is time for a new (2 up) bike and would like a little help from this group about your reasons for buying a trike. Physically I am in great shape and do not need 3 wheels, because I need help holding it up. I can also afford a CVO ultra or road glide, but thinking why pay $40,000+ for a CUSTOM bike to rack up a bunch of touring miles. I also realize the trike (OTD) will be close to $35,000, but am thinking there are ALOT of 2 up/touring benefits with the trike. With a trike I believe I can carry more stuff when traveling. Today if wife and I go for a week, I FEDEX stuff we cant carry to my destinations, and then, FEDEX back home when leaving. I do not ride my ultra to work because I carry my work back pack, and a large duffle bag with workout gear and clothes. with a trike I have a trunk. don't slam me too hard, just help me with my assumptions, and give me a little feedback about your reasons for a trike. if I do buy a trike, I will make it my own...maybe some chrome, but focus will be on comfort and touring add-ons.

You listed a lot of good reasons already. Additional are that it is a much more relaxed ride. Still gotta look out for cages, etc., but oil, sand and other road challenges to a 2 wheel bike, are close to insignificant to the trike.

On our previous 2 wheeled Touring bikes (Ultra & Road King), Mary was good for 5-6 hours, anything more than that, was not so enjoyable for her. On the Tri-Glide, we've done many 10 hour days and she was still good for more.

We got our first Tri-Glide because I had to because of damage to my foot from a cager. I really was not happy about having to go to 3 wheels for Touring at all...for the first year. But after getting over the stigma (in my own mind) they are a blast, and we have done some trips that we just would/could not have done on two wheels.

I do still have 2 wheeled bikes, and am very happy I can ride them...but for long two up rides, really cold weather, or if I need to carry a lot of stuff, it's the Tri-Glide.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-28-2015, 10:24 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

I agree with those above. I had a 2011 Tri and really enjoyed it. I got the bug and traded for a 2013 Roadglide Ultra; but I missed the ease of touring on the trike. I got the opportunity to buy a lightly used 2013 Tri and traded in the Roadglide. Now I'm enjoying the trike life again . I do have a 2005 Dynawideglide for when I want to go with two wheels. Best of both worlds

Old 06-28-2015, 11:04 AM
2007fxstc
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by soon to be

Hey bro
I'm 59 with 2 hip replacements (1bad) a separated shoulder (not repaired) and a knee that needs replacing.

My Gal of 20 + yrs as chosen a trike as her 1st ride. Her balance suck, LOL!

There are days I ride it when I need some wind therapy. It sucks that the state will only issue 1 disabled sticker for your ride tho.

So am lucky to have BOTH in our garage. So I agree with another responder in this post.

Good Luck to you
And never give up!
Be Safe

Quick Reply: 2 wheels or 3 wheels - just not sure yet