Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Thanks all, I'll give the Chevron a try...

Old 06-29-2015, 12:43 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

if you get some crummy gas just stop at an auto store and put in a couple of ounces of sea foam. Will fix you right up. I use it for winter storage in montana also and have never had one single issue with my gas going bad. I used to use stabil but found for me it made the bike run a bit rich. Not a bad thing at sea level but here in the mountains I just put sea foam in when I need it. Great stuff. Does not harm any sensors, or parts in the bike at all.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:52 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually like to fill up at the Shell station about 6 blocks from home. They have 93 octane premium. The BP on the way to work is 2nd alternative with 91 octane. My '94 will ping on the BP but not the Shell so I figure the trike will be fine on it. I carry octane booster on the '94. I went out of town Saturday and had to put 87 octane with no alcohol in the trike. Pinged like a bastard after 10 miles. No lugging. 65 in 5th gear and pinged while going up rises. Topping it off this morning with Shell. I was kind of hoping the computer on the bike would adjust the tune for the 87. I know people that use 87 all the time in their twin cam and say it never pings. My trike pinged all the time before I put on the TTS tuner.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:36 AM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MB1953
This may be a little off-topic from the OP, since I am not sure exactly what Sta-bil 360 is supposed to do.

Picked up a bottle of AmsOil Dominator Octane Booster at local shop before we headed into the mountains of NC/TN last month. One bottle to raise 15 gallons 4 octane points. Sure enough, had to gas up at one station that only had 87 regular, no premium. used a third of the bottle with the fill, and noticed no knock or ping. I'll keep the rest for future trips.
Be careful with the octane booster claims. Sometimes 4 points actually means .4.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:40 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When I went West 2 years ago, I could only find regular gas in a town just east of Wall, S.D., and again in a little gas station in the middle of the Nevada desert. Both times, the trike started pinging within a few miles. Fortunately, I had a bottle of Amsoil octane booster and I put 3-4 ounces in the tank to cure the problem.
I don't understand what you hope to accomplish by using Sta-Bil in your gas. The only thing I use it for is winter storage. Works pretty well for about 4 months of down time.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:25 PM
STA-BIL®
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey everyone,

First, STA-BIL® 360° Performance (or Powersports) will help keep fuel fresh, keep the fuel system clean, and prevent rust & corrosion - both above and below the fuel line. These properties help restore power, maximize fuel economy, prevent ethanol damage, and smooth idle.

http://www.goldeagle.com/STA-BIL360-...mance-Campaign

Also, as far as other additives are concerned, Chevron and Lucas make good additives. There are other additives out there, though, that make some pretty far reaching claims. Just be sure to do a little searching before you purchase an additive.

We would be happy to get some samples out to those that would like to give it a try. Simply shoot us a PM and we will enter in an order to get that out to you.

Have a great day!

Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Thanks all, I'll give the Chevron a try...
Casper, the Techron comes in 2 versions, a Fuel Injector cleaner and a fuel system cleaner. They both work well, but the fuel system tagged product works the best.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Interested too. We are headed out west and I know we're going to run into crummy fuel.
What about Lucas brand booster?
Ive run from Oregon to Colorado never had a problem with bad gas. 10% ethanol is the norm. Ive only seen a few stations even sell E85 as most cars are not even designed to run it. Non ethanol is also available select ma & pop stations

BTW: Chevron Techron is a great injector cleaner

Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

by chevron gas has techron all ready in it

Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My local Costco has 6x 16oz bottles of Chevron Techron for 14.99. Each bottle treats up to 16 gallons

Quick Reply: Fuel additives