Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2016 Tri Glide on Order

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2016 Tri Glide on Order

I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and have now decided I want a Trike. I have sold my 2014 Ultra limited and ordered a 2016 Tri Glide for delivery in September. I have never ridden a Trike..not even a test ride so I am taking a leap of faith that I will like it and that I can learn to ride it well. A couple of questions:
I hear the front wheel wiggles a little until you get up to a certain speed. Is this a little scary at first?
Because the bike is so much heavier than my Ultra is acceleration from a start to 60 mph a lot slower or is it closes to the ultra?
I read you must keep both hands on the bars in turns....does this mean any turn even mild ones?
On a straight road can you remove both hands from the bars and have the bike track fairly straight?
I am desperately looking to find well laid out parking lot excercises using cones so I can practice. I found some from the Gold Wing Trike riders group but they don't give me and measurements as to how far apart to place the cones.
My biggest concern is after so many years of riding motorcycles that I will come up on a right hand turn and push the right hand bar sending me and the trike the wrong way and into traffic. I know many of you folks went to Trikes after years of two wheelers. Can you tell me how you dealt with it?
I just discovered it looks like the bike does not come with a CB. Was the antenna installed in the bike there when you bought it or did you need to add that as well.
Thanks in advance for the guidance

Old 06-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Shodanusmc
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me a few hours to start really feeling comfortable on the Trike. Got a 2015 and Love it. Tracks Straight, never noticed my front wheel wiggling. It has a lot of weight so it will be a bit slower than your 2 wheeler. I more miles I ride, the more I enjoy it. Turning will become natural to you again in no time. I had the DK Lift Kit, SE Stage 1 and Street Cannons installed. Love the sound and the way it handles. Just remember not to put your feet down and that it has a wide backend when pulling into places. Miss the 2 wheels, but soon to be needing a Hip Replacement and my wife loves riding and driving it.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Congratulations!! and Welcome

I feel sure you will love the Tri Glide my bride and I love ours. Sit back and enjoy the ride I have a hard time keeping my bride awake she really relaxes on our outings. ride safely Fearless.

Attached Thumbnails 2016 Tri Glide on Order-img_20150528_203427063.jpg   2016 Tri Glide on Order-img_20150528_203525973_hdr.jpg  
Old 06-29-2015, 03:07 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

RULE # 1, Stop listening to THEM. Wife and I have had: '09,'11, and '14 Tri-Glides, and a '15 Freewheeler. NONE had any front end wobble. You can steer with 1 hand on long sweepers, but it is a good idea to use 2. Leaning does nothing. Wife (62 years old) gave up her Deluxe for a trike because Cancer killed the feelings in her feet. I triked in '11 after heart attack #2. We were just talking yesterday, both of us LOVED 2 wheels, but neither of us would go back.
They dumped the CB radio in 2014 for the built in GPS. Funny, people on the boards bitched about no GPS and said they never used the CB. Now, it is the other way around. No one is happy all the time.

Ride it in good health, smile a lot and get used to the crowds that gather whenever you stop.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:08 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Thanks (a few hours I was thinking weeks or months) good to know

Old 06-29-2015, 04:52 PM
DBR
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fearless Hi Brother

Originally Posted by Fearless (old nickname)
I feel sure you will love the Tri Glide my bride and I love ours. Sit back and enjoy the ride I have a hard time keeping my bride awake she really relaxes on our outings. ride safely Fearless.
I have a 2015 trike in now. Will pick up 9th of July. They are putting in stage 4 and more. I know I will like never drove one but had two other Harleys.
David
Fargo ND

Old 06-29-2015, 05:35 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and have now decided I want a Trike. I have sold my 2014 Ultra limited and ordered a 2016 Tri Glide for delivery in September. I have never ridden a Trike..not even a test ride so I am taking a leap of faith that I will like it and that I can learn to ride it well. A couple of questions:
I hear the front wheel wiggles a little until you get up to a certain speed. Is this a little scary at first?
Because the bike is so much heavier than my Ultra is acceleration from a start to 60 mph a lot slower or is it closes to the ultra?
I read you must keep both hands on the bars in turns....does this mean any turn even mild ones?
On a straight road can you remove both hands from the bars and have the bike track fairly straight?
I am desperately looking to find well laid out parking lot excercises using cones so I can practice. I found some from the Gold Wing Trike riders group but they don't give me and measurements as to how far apart to place the cones.
My biggest concern is after so many years of riding motorcycles that I will come up on a right hand turn and push the right hand bar sending me and the trike the wrong way and into traffic. I know many of you folks went to Trikes after years of two wheelers. Can you tell me how you dealt with it?
I just discovered it looks like the bike does not come with a CB. Was the antenna installed in the bike there when you bought it or did you need to add that as well.
Anything change for the 16's? also...what color did you end up getting??

Old 06-29-2015, 05:40 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

I don't know of any changes and I ordered black. I don't even know if there is going to be a price increase

Old 06-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
As Screwball said, no wheel wobbles.

Yes you can ride with one hand in mild curves, however 2 is recommended.

The trike has enough power to get you up to 60 pretty quickly. Just not as quick as a two wheeler (It is heavier).

As many here will say, the more you ride, the more comfortable you become with the ride.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My next Harley will probably be a trike.
Since you have plenty of time, I suggest you see if any nearby dealers will have a demo days before you take delivery. I rode a trike at a demo days. They had an excellent video I had to watch first. Also, on the trike it was just me and the Harley rep, he worked for MOCO, not the dealer - no sales pressure.

Quick Reply: 2016 Tri Glide on Order